• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

SKYLAB CHAT

skylab

Esteemed
Here's a peek at the "furled sail", or "sail up", version of the Kinneret boat. In these renders I've taken time to parent the oars, rudders, basket and bow ring. This will be sufficient in a limited animation situation if rigging is not done, and Forester's willingness to do three versions of the boat for some unique sail action also will be adequate. She has shown a genuine interest in the project, and I wouldn't miss the chance to learn from her. The furled sail version is not yet available for public download, but I'll post the link as soon as she feels it's ready.

KINNERET-BOAT-FURLED-SAIL-PARENTED2.jpg

KINNERET-BOAT-FURLED-SAIL-PARENTED.jpg

skylab

Esteemed
We're almost done. I should rest my eyes before giving the poses a final closer tweak, then the set will be ready for upload to ShareCG :)
How it appears so far.

KINNERET BOAT FURLED SAIL wip.jpg

skylab

Esteemed
Okay...here's the latest Forester stuff for free download at Rendo. The first link also includes, in addition to the "sail up" version of the boat, another fish basket, and a clay oil lamp

COOK'S KINNERET BOAT - FURLED SAIL VERSION

KINNERET BOAT - SIMPLE ROCK JETTY

...and if you missed the release of the original full sail version of the boat:
COOK'S KINNERET BOAT MODEL - FULL SAIL VERSION

Here's a Poser 11 superfly render of the clay oil lamp that I did yesterday...this lamp is included in the Kinneret Boat Furled Sail download (first link above)...talk about beginner's luck...haha...for once I got a light emitter material to do what it was supposed to do :) I used a Pixel Sample setting of 18 in the render settings because lower numbers were leaving a few speckles in incomplete attempts. I used VB SuperShaders for Poser 11 Superfly for the flame...I have the Vol 1 & 2 bundle (got it on sale of course), but technically I think it's Vol. 2 that does the light emission part. And, also I had placed a point light within the flame model before applying the VB light emissions mat, which probably cranked things up a bit. The result was just what I was trying to achieve....light in a dark place.

Thank you Forester for such great models :)

FORESTER - LAMP and FLAME superfly.jpg

And these are Forester's promo renders of the furled sail boat, and the rock jetty.

KINNERET-FURLED SAIL.jpg

ROCK JETTY.jpg

Last edited:

skylab

Esteemed
And, more good news....Forester is setting up our own free download page for Hivewire use. Right now it's still being set up, but perhaps later today or this evening, some stuff may be uploaded there for us. It will eventually include four versions of the boat, some seascape terrains, a beach, background hills and dunes, maybe a townscape, some trees and/or plants, and other .obj models like the clay lamp. Some models have been done already, and some models will appear later, as time permits. I told Forester that we're in no hurry, and nice and slow is just fine, because I for one will be running behind to catch up to her skill level...I'm just sayin'....haha. Anyway, here's the link to our free download page:

expandingwave.com/galilee

Is this cool, or what :)

:coding:

skylab

Esteemed
Hey Stezza :) Yes, I forgot to mention that because of the difference in Poser scaling, I always import the boat at 10 or 20%, and choose "place on floor" in Poser, but I had not tried it in Carrara yet. If I'm not mistaken, I believe the boat was created in Maya. Nice render Stezza...and pretty quick too, since the boat was just released a few hours ago ...keep it up, and let us see more of what you're doing with it :)

skylab

Esteemed
Oh, forgot the net part...I have a morphing cast net that I got years ago when Pappy used to be at Rendo. He quit selling his products awhile back, but it looked like this (his pics below). For those experienced with using morphs, you might be able to come up with something similar:

morphing-cast-net1.jpg

morphing-cast-net2.jpg

skylab

Esteemed
I've passed along your thanks to Forester :) I've finally released the first pose set on ShareCG. Now I'll take a break and rest my eyes :sleep:

M4 pose set for Forester's free Cook's Kinneret Boat, either the full sail or furled sail version, in Renderosity free stuff. See the ReadMe included in the zip file for links to download the boat model, which is a replica of the "Jesus Boat" excavated in the western Galilee region of Israel in 1986. There are two versions of the boat....a full sail version...and a furled sail (or sail up) version.

KINNERET BOAT - M4 THE DECISION

KINNERET BOAT -- THE DECISION.jpg

Stezza

Dances with Bees
Just noticed when you load both models there is a part missing on the oar bracers on the furled boat..
no biggie can be fixed in Carrara ... but just in case is was overlooked ;)

upload_2019-6-4_16-49-16.png

skylab

Esteemed
Hey Stezza :) Thanks for making note of that. I can remember some discussion with Forester about that...I believe it's where some rope was used to tie the rudder into place. She may have been undecided about including it on the final version, not sure, but I'll email her and ask about it. Thanks for catching the difference in detail. We need your modeler's eye :) And you're right, if there's a small detail that needs either changing or customizing, Carrara or Hexagon is a good option...I used both during the early stages of viewing the conversion of Clark's boat that was originally done in Vue, since Poser 11 would sometimes do the ".obj no show" thing...so at first I was working in modeling software to work through the issues. We faced several challenges with the materials with it, something called reversed something I think it was, especially along the cap rails, causing the materials to show up darker than the rest of the boat. Anyway, because of all the little places on the original boat that had to be fixed, Forester opted to model a new version that would be more up to date with current software (the original was created 12 years ago). We wanted to honor Clark Cook with the release of the Kinneret, since he is very sick now, and he released his work to us to complete the project that he started for me back in 2007. The original idea was that the boat, modeled I think in Rhino, and then completed in Maya, and saved in Vue format (since it was the only high end software that I owned) be converted from Vue to Poser, but he hit a snag with compatibility of the textures...and you can imagine what little help I could give that many years ago...so we just stopped with the Vue version. So, this model of a real-life excavated boat went through its own excavation process from outdated software versions. A real modeler's challenge...you probably would have enjoyed the process...sort of like Marlin sport fishing I suppose :)

skylab

Esteemed
Hey Stezza...just letting you know that Forester appreciates your catching that issue with the rudder lashing (it got left out during the conversion from Maya to .obj), and she will post a corrected version of the furled sail version of the boat on her website, at this link, when her time permits:

Give her some time on that....in general, she does her commercial projects during the week, and plays with our projects and other free stuff on the weekends, when she can be more flexible with her time. This works well with my schedule too, as I can get plenty of rest, and just play during much of the week :)

skylab

Esteemed
I forgot to mention...Forester has created some Tilapia fish (or sometimes called St. Peter's fish), and a basket of Tilapia fish, and they are already posted on her website, at this link:

Looks like we're going fishing :)

Tilapia.jpg

Basket of Tilapia.jpg