• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

SKYLAB CHAT

skylab

Esteemed
Progressing toward a very dark background in order to use the lamp light or torches for a night scene :)

KINNERET very dark SUNSET with jetty.jpg

Stezza

Dances with Bees
No probs.. I fixed mine in Carrara ;)

Also noticed some lost polygons up front in both models.. probably during the Boolean operation and transfer I’m guessing... it’s a great model, I’ve been working on my model of the Tom Thumb II on and off for the last couple of months in Carrara, you’ll have to google that for an Australian history lesson ( it is a boat :) )

Still have the texture/bump maps to adjust as they don’t transfer to Carrara might do that today sometime.

skylab

Esteemed
Hey Stezza :) Yeah, I sent Forester your information and told her that you had fixed your boat in Carrara, but that she might want to know for future downloads, especially on her site. She appreciates your help :) Yeah, it can get tricky when transferring from one 3D modeling software to another, and even trickier transferring to Poser. And the last time I tried to import the original converted boat by Clark into DAZ Studio, none of the materials showed at all....at least once I got past Poser 11 recognizing the .obj file, the textures showed fine. I should try that this evening probably, to see if Forester's boat will import into DAZ Studio, or if it's still rejecting the textures.

:bee:

skylab

Esteemed
Well, that didn't take long...and it was a success! Forester was right, rebuilding the boat in order to be compatible with current software was the right decision. It imported into DAZ Studio 4.10 just fine, renders below. It has to be scaled down of course, but that's easy. It appears that all the textures are working fine....yay! I'll have to let Forester know about this. This is neat because I have some water animation capability in DAZ Studio that I've not yet tried....this could be cool, if I could get the boat to float :) Big learning curve...but strong incentive, so I'll try it :)

KINNERET FULL SAIL - DAZStudio.jpg

KINNERET FURLED SAIL - DAZStudio.jpg

skylab

Esteemed
Stezza, I just remembered something. Lately I've been encountering models that import into Carrara with parts missing. A recent example that comes to mind was this toon tow truck. It showed like the first pic below in both Carrara and Poser...and I had to switch over to Hexagon in order to work with it. I'm so used to bouncing things back and forth between Carrara and Hexagon that I forget sometimes that I'm doing it.

towtruck--preview.jpg

tow-truck-Birdman.jpg

skylab

Esteemed
Another famous boat...Meshbox Noah's Ark that was done many years ago and used to be at Content Paradise. I didn't have any water planes at the time, and you'd never believe where the stormy waters came from...haha....it came from AntFarm's Base Camp Vol. 1, scaled way up until it worked as an ocean :) Now I use Flink's Water 2 mostly, and sometimes Breaking Waves. When Forester does some water planes, I'll be stretching out a little in order to figure out the mats and reflection in Poser on my own :)

The animated water for DAZ Studio that I mentioned earlier is called iREAL Animated Ocean Water System. I caught it on sale, and thought I'd one day give it a try...so I guess one day has finally arrived :)

noah's ark-meshbox.jpg

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
I didn't have any water planes at the time, and you'd never believe where the stormy waters came from...haha....it came from AntFarm's Base Camp Vol. 1, scaled way up until it worked as an ocean :)
Really?!?!? I have all of his Base Camp sets, and I would never have thought you could do that with one of them. Hmmmmm . . . . .

skylab

Esteemed
Hey Miss B :) Yeah, AntFarm would always have a sale when releasing something new, so I picked up the Base Camp set....and while playing with it, discovered that there was a mini ocean water plane option...so I just scaled it way up, and realized it would work to build scenes.

skylab

Esteemed
Stezza...looks good :) Birdman has a lot of stuff that you might like...a touch of humor in a lot of his models.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Hey Miss B :) Yeah, AntFarm would always have a sale when releasing something new, so I picked up the Base Camp set....and while playing with it, discovered that there was a mini ocean water plane option...so I just scaled it way up, and realized it would work to build scenes.
Well I'm definitely going to have to check that out when I have a few free minutes.

skylab

Esteemed
The Base Camp water plane is found under Props -> Base Camp -> Water Topper as shown below. After loading the Water Topper, scale it way up...as you can see, it's over 800 in this screen capture. Then I rendered it in superfly just to see how it would look, so it does okay either with superfly or firefly renders.

base-camp-water-topper.jpg

base-camp-water-topper2.jpg

skylab

Esteemed
Thought I'd share how I was getting the darker skies in Poser 11...I like to use materials for the construct dome. My favorites skies are by seachnasaigh called Construct skydome textures, 8192 x 2048, free on ShareCG. It's a large download, but worth the wait :) This is where the Red Glow II sky came from in the render below.

I've already mentioned that I use superfly materials for any fire glow or light emissions, and my favorite sets are VB SuperShaders for Poser 11 Superfly and also D3D Superfly Materials. Without these advanced shaders, it would unlikely be possible for me to do any special effects like fire flame in Poser, so just giving credit where it's due, while I've slowed down enough to find the links to this stuff :)

And remember to check Forester's website for the free nautical .obj models, and also her Rendo free stuff:

expandingwave.com/galilee

Forester free stuff at Renderosity

KINNERET very dark SUNSET with jetty.jpg

skylab

Esteemed
Good morning Terre :)

Running a few tests on the nautical add-on stuff that we have on the Galilee page so far. First we have three talipia fish and a basket of fish, works fine in Poser.

Tilapia Fish and Basket.jpg