• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

SKYLAB CHAT

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
This is the same boat that was used as a reference when Clark created the Kinneret boat for me to use in Vue (render below). Oh how I wish he had saved it in .obj for me.
That's a nice boat. I think, though I could be wrong on the type/style of boat, but there's a vendor at Renderosity with a lot of items, including boats like these. I'll have to check to see who it is, as I don't recall at the moment. I'm not quite fully awake yet.

skylab

Esteemed
Thanks Miss B :) At the time that Clark created the 1st century Kinneret boat, he was considering doing a Poser version possibly for Rendo, but that was a long time ago....back in 2007. I had expressed to him a desire to do animations, so there was a learning curve for both of us at the time...my learning to do animations, and his preparing the model with rigging. So we left the project kind of on hold. Now 12 years later, I've pursued learning the basics of animation, but neither of us could have foreseen back then what would happen to Cornucopia3D or the Vue program. That's the main reason I won't seriously invest time in DAZ Studio...I play with it, but there's always the consideration that it just doesn't play well with other 3D programs. I dug out the original emails that we exchanged during the project in order to find Clark's contact at the time, and tried sending an email to him, though it's been years since I've seen his work available online. The email didn't bounce back to me, so perhaps it's still functioning, but no guarantee that he checks it often. I also thought of contacting Forester on Rendo, as they recommended Clark to me as being best suited for the project. So, I'm "casting nets" in different directions to see if I get a nibble.

:coding:

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
OK, I checked, and I saw a number of Forester's boats, and they're nice, but for Vue, which I don't have. Digimation_ModelBank and VanishingPoint have a Viking Ship also for Vue. Dante78 has a Medieval Viking Longship for Poser and DS, which is similar in style but longer. I have this one, but don't think I've played with it in a long time.

1971s has a Medieval Sailboat, but it's not quite the same style. Most of his boats are fantasy style, in any case.

skylab

Esteemed
Yeah, this is why I requested the custom made boat...it was modeled from a specific boat that was excavated in 1986 in the area around Galilee...so it was the real deal. The idea was that eventually Clark would be able to rig the sail for animation. But at the time he passed the Vue .vob file to me so that I could attempt some still shots with the two options of sail full, and sail up, like the renders below. I was in no hurry at the time, since I'd only been doing beginner 3D for about a year in 2007....so I was planning the project for the future...as is still my habit now....I'm always looking about five years down the road to keep myself motivated to learn.

Here is one of the modeling progress shots below that Clark did that shows the basic hull of the boat, and what makes it unique in comparison to other ships.

progress1.jpg

Sail full, and sail up renders in Vue 6 (sail up can be hidden on .vob model in Vue).

KINNERET-BOATS.jpg

skylab

Esteemed
I received a quick response from Forester, and it proved my concerns were true...Clark is very ill, so much so that he has given Forester all of his hard drive contents so that nothing will be lost at his passing. It is so sad. Ironically, the loss of Vue and Cornucopia3D stuff happened while I was out sick. It just occurred to me this morning to contact Forester and I'm so glad that I did, since the boat can still possibly be recovered and sent to me in .obj format. I asked Forester to let me know if there were any changes, either for the better, or worse, in Clark's condition.

:(

DanaTA

Distinguished
That's a nice boat. I think, though I could be wrong on the type/style of boat, but there's a vendor at Renderosity with a lot of items, including boats like these. I'll have to check to see who it is, as I don't recall at the moment. I'm not quite fully awake yet.

There was someone at Renderosity that did religious and holy land models. There was a boat. I think his name was Pappy something. I couldn't find it in the vendor listing just now, though, so perhaps he's gone.

Dana

skylab

Esteemed
Yes, thanks for responding :) And yes, Pappy closed down his Rendo shop about three or four years ago. Last time I emailed him, it was 2016, and he had already had his store closed for some time. He told me he decided to give it up, with the way things were changing at Rendo...at the time there was definitely a push toward DS in advertising and he felt he didn't have much of a chance, buried in so much V4 and Genesis stuff, so he felt it was time to give it up. Also a real shame, he had a number of unique models as well as biblical clothing for M3, M4, V4 and Dawn.

:coding:

skylab

Esteemed
Pappy created two different boats after seeing the project that Clark was working on...and they were fine for distance renders, but Clark's model was done using a book with detailed dimensions of the original boat, so it was an exact replica. Below are a few renders using Pappy's boats. A lot of Pappy's biblical projects were a result of our emails back and forth with ideas...so I was in the background sort of, making suggestions.

pappy-boats-on-lake-with-construct-mats.jpg

GALILEE--BOATS.jpg

pappy-boats-with-construct-terrain-ver2.jpg

GALILEE-BOATS.jpg

skylab

Esteemed
Times like this, I have to choose to not be sad about my friend Clark...so it's time for my odd sense of humor to kick in.

This was an experiment with how to get enough lighting on the Eye Gur eyeball to reflect in the mirror for an old Far Side joke :)

eyeball-mirror.jpg

skylab

Esteemed
I've been looking around for a three wheeled car....he was always bashing into it to get its parking space :) I thought I'd try Nursoda's Doc Pitterbill as Mr Bean...long legs and exaggerated facial features might work, and wanted a small car to try some animations :) The one where he turns the car left, off camera, and then all you see is his tires bouncing back is hilarious.

:bee:

skylab

Esteemed
The rigged Fiat 126 ended up being the best choice, with the European driver side on the right. We now have a Mr Bean car :) To be truly authentic, we'll have to add a padlock to the driver side door...haha.

YELLOW-FIAT-EXTERIOR-BEAN.jpg

YELLOW-FIAT-INTERIOR-BEAN.jpg