• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

SKYLAB CHAT

skylab

Esteemed
I'm learning to fly in Poser 11 today :)

ANIMATED-PRIVATE-JET-IN-FLIGHT.gif

ANIMATED-PRIVATE-JET-IN-FLIGHT-VER2.gif

skylab

Esteemed
There are a number of PDF's about flight controls when googling the subject of how to fly a plane, and the YouTube videos below give a sensible overview of the basics. I've had 2nd World's aviation stuff from Rendo for some time, but finally now have the hard drive juice to do some flying experiments. 2nd World's planes have rigged cockpits...which means whatever control is moved by the pilot, the exterior of the plane responds...and since I had no idea what ailerons, spoilers or elevators were, I'll be doing a little homework to find out :) I've only flown once, having a thing about heights...but that one time, thankfully before 911 changed everything about commercial aviation, a friend talked me into taking a short east coast express flight by Air Canada in a prop plane about the size of a Beechcraft (last video below)...and to my surprise, I loved it, especially the high banked turns...and I remember thinking at the time, wouldn't it be fun to learn to drive one of those. Well, 2nd World's Twin Engine G58 is very close to the Beechcraft, and the Twin Engine Private Jet offers a similar size with nice details. The Boeing 737 is almost overwhelming in the cockpit...so it's best to start with the mid-sized planes, should anyone else be interested in flying high. :)

TWIN ENGINE PRIVATE JET

TWIN ENGINE PLANE G58

AIRLINER 737 WITH COCKPIT

POLYGON AIRPORT

skylab

Esteemed
Can't remember if I posted this before, but it's worth viewing again even if I did. This youth orchestra from Poland in the first video does a very fine job on Ennio Morricone's Gabriel's Oboe from The Mission....and the second video is Ennio himself.

skylab

Esteemed
When you're senior and handicapped, there are many things that you can't do, or can't do safely. I miss walking...used to do a lot of it, but running to cross busy streets using a cane is definitely a can't do. One way to break out of the confinement, at least mentally, is viewing video walking tours online. Just in case anyone else feels the urge to go on a "virtual walk", this guy below does a good job with his walking tour through New York. He mentions just a few corrections on his YouTube page...but for an unrehearsed video project, I think he does a great job. So, enjoy the brisk walk...and wave at Miss B as you're passing through :)

Janet

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
How cool is that? The subway station looked a lot cleaner than when I lived there.

I'm not disabled but I've had my head stuck in the original Myst games for the last couple weeks. I'm up to Myst Exile. Finished the first two with a lot of help from walk throughs online. What I like doing most is just exploring or walking around in their lands.

skylab

Esteemed
So you get what I was saying....walking tours may not provide the physical exercise, but there is also the mental engagement with walking and exploring new things...and I think that this more than anything else can cause seniors to lose their zest for life and desire to learn new things. Sounds like you've found something similar in gaming.

So you were once an east coast NY-er :)

In the Manhattan walk, I was taken with how wide the streets where....visually it felt like running for a touch down just to make it across the street before the light changed....haha. I'd have to ride a peppy handicapped cart (with lettered tires and stripe job of course), or a trike, in order to make it! :)

My mother went on a business trip to NY back in the late 60's, and she asked for a cab that would drive her around the city to see the sights. The cab driver took one look at her and said he'd gladly drive her around the city, but that she could not get out of the cab...my mother was always beautiful (since we're coming up on Mother's Day weekend, here's a small pic of how she appeared back then)...and I'm thankful that the cab driver was protecting her that day from unfamiliar dangers.

MOM-1970 - Copy.jpg

:flower02:

Janet

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
Yah I moved to NYC to live with my brother for high school. Than moved back right after I was married. NYC is just too alien for me. No driving your own car especially. No yards too!

skylab

Esteemed
I agree...I was too fond of driving when I was younger to have given that up. It seems like an awfully fast, expensive lifestyle there...and there's no way I could live that high up in the air. But it's an interesting place to visit :)

Looks like the same guy did other walking tours of NY...here are a few more :) It doesn't seem that he's talking on his earlier videos, but he does narrate the first one below. The last one is walking in a snow storm, so wear your boots :/

skylab

Esteemed
I always thought I'd want to go to Israel...but after viewing a few walking tours of Jerusalem, I've pretty much checked that off of my bucket list. The narrow market streets leading to the Western Wall give me the heebie jeebies...it's very close and confined. The popular tourist sights have become so commercial and ornate that they look nothing like how the land used to appear. I think I'd be more interested in northern Israel, the area around Galilee, and some of the tel excavation sights. In the brief Sea of Galilee video, the guy is demonstrating casting a net from the boat...and ends up catching only one fish :)

skylab

Esteemed
I know...seems like it would be impossible to haul in one fish...haha. I guess it's like the Galilee story in the scriptures..."toiled all night and have caught nothing". In the video, when he pulls up the net, one fish can be seen squirming in the net.

:bee:

Terre

Renowned
Good evening. Looks like Jerusalem is out for me too. Same reasons. And as Sky already knows the digs to the north would definitely interest me. :)

skylab

Esteemed
Hey Terre :)...If you really like searching out the historical background of Israel, there are two sources that are my favorites...Dave Stotts who does the Drive-Thru History Series, and Ray Vander Laan who does That the World May Know. Dave Stotts can be viewed online with free registration, and several of his video series are also on Amazon. I like Dave's sense of humor....he makes learning history fun, and memorable. I've received some of his stuff free through promotionals. Dave simply gets in a vehicle (or on a camel) and drives all around Israel and shares information much like an occasionally comical tour guide, except a little more detailed and cross-referenced.

Here's an excerpt of Dave's style, a rapid but brief history of Israel. His video series in general does not usually move this fast, but this is a good example of his teaching style using fade-ins of maps, 2D and 3D art, and video segments of him on location:

DRIVE-THRU HISTORY excerpts on YouTube

...and this is an example of Ray Vander Laan's style of teaching...very detailed, addressing customs and historical background...this excerpt is a surprising revelation of what the phrase "green pastures" actually means:

RAY VANDER LAAN videos on YouTube

:coding:

skylab

Esteemed
And lastly Terre, here's Ray Vander Laan on the Sea of Galilee...gives one a feel for what it's like.

..and Dave Stotts showing a 1st century boat discovered in the area around Galilee. This is the same boat that was used as a reference when Clark created the Kinneret boat for me to use in Vue (render below). Oh how I wish he had saved it in .obj for me.

kinneret boat.jpg