• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

SKYLAB CHAT

Terre

Renowned
Okaaayyyyyy....... I got reminded of Sakura Sakura this morning and I've had what little I can remember of it stuck in my head all day. Soooo...... went looking for videos.
Number 1: I get told that my browser doesn't understand any of the available formats.
Number 2: This one can play and has the English translation at the top and Japanese written in Romanji at the bottom which means I can sing along with it in Japanese buuuuut...... the vocalist turns out to be an American girl who doesn't roll her "r"s and a few of her vowels are off. Yes. I've forgotten almost all of the vocabulary I had 50 years ago but I do remember how to pronounce the language.
Number 3: That's a Japanese name there so...... Yes, she is Japanese but sometimes her
voice drops down so soft I can't hear her unless I decide to turn the volume way up and i have no clue what that instrument she is playing is. It seems to be a glass jar sort of thing that is played by drawing a glass stick around the lip.
Number 4: can play and uses a Koto. Nice.... but it's purely instrumental.
Not what quite I was looking for but interesting lesson in search results.

skylab

Esteemed
Hey Terre....this is way out and beyond my knowledge and experience, so I'm relying heavily upon Google and YouTube search :) The latter links are played on an instrument that's similar in appearance to a cross between a hammered dulcimer and autoharp, but fingered somewhat like a harp. The first links below are choral versions, with the rolled r's that Terre mentioned. The lyrics can be seen here, and Sakura means simply Cherry Blossoms. Hope this helps your search, Terre :)

Sakura - World Youth Choir

Sakura - Choral version

Sakura - Choral version

Sakura - Girl's Choir

Sakura - Youth Choir Concert

Sakura - Church Youth Choir version

Sakura, Sakura - Fuyuki Enokio

Sakura, Sakura - Japanese Folk Song (Cherry Blossoms)

Sakura, Sakura (Cherry Blossoms) - Koto Music

Sakura, Sakura - (number 3 that Terre mentioned apparently)

:coding:

Terre

Renowned
Thanks. I'll take a look at those after work.
The way I've heard it put is Japanese has a single roll on the r while Spanish is double. As a result a similar sound but shorter.

skylab

Esteemed
Hope it's what you were looking for Terre :) My only experience with rolling r's was that which was required in vocal training, and not language dependent. In vocal, pronouncing r's, or like the sound "er" when pronouncing for example "pointer" results in the tone doing strange things in the back of the throat, causing the tone to go flat (the characteristic "er" twang of most country singers). In vocal, it's encouraged to not sing the "er", or any consonant, but when necessary, lean it more toward "ah", or roll the "r". Sometimes there are "tricks" with singing consonants.....like in Handel's Messiah, the lyric "His yoke is easy, His burden is light"....in choral vocal, it's changed to "His burthen is light"...so that the hard "d" in "burden" doesn't knock out the entire front row of the audience when 200 choral members try to sing it in unison...haha. Thus, folks in vocal training are often heard running through the vowels when they practice, the a-e-i-o-u (sung as oooo), or things like singing "seee-ah" repetitively :) It has to be practiced since singing it runs so counter to our normal way of speaking, it has to be learned during vocal training.

skylab

Esteemed
Oh, yes deer :) I'll look forward to testing the Hivewire Mule Deer....hard to believe it was created for Hivewire Horse. Right now I'm up to my arm pits in setting up computers and printers. So far, so good. I finally have the newest version of Silo Pro 2 working now on Windows 10, since anything beyond version 2.3 would not function in Windows 7. I was also relieved that the majority of my favorite old programs are working in Windows 10, even my desktop calendar, which I'd be lost without...and date and time utility and ClocX anaolog clock, both of which I've been using for years (see pic below). When one hits retirement, it's nice to have something on the screen indicating whether it's am or pm....haha. So far I've not had any program installations fail, just printers....but that's the usual thing when upgrading an operating system. The Windows 10 start menu is an incredible mess, I have to be honest there. But, thanks to the Windows Explorer access, or the This PC icon (what is usually called My Computer in other Windows versions) placed on the desktop for convenient access, one can create desktop icons to anything. So I can use the desktop access for familiar stuff, and use the start menu to access the big, blocky, bright-colored Win10 apps. It's amusing when I hear that older software is referred to as "clunky"...when I can't think of anything clunkier than all the access icons looking exactly alike, huge bright color blocks. Nuff said about that...haha. The only other downside I've experienced so far is the enormous quantity and file size of Windows 10 updates...gee whiz....it downloaded all night long, and was still getting settled down this morning. If someone has limited bandwidth, it would truly be a nightmare. For the typical new user of Windows 10, it's a little unnerving when the computer takes so long to reboot after an update (members of my family expressed this also)....it's long enough so that one starts to sweat a little, thinking that something has gone wrong. As long as a person knows what they're getting into, it would take some of the panic out of it. On the upside, the positive benefits has been faster surfing and the absence of occasional incompatibility notices one experiences with an older operating system. I also appreciate the choice in a dual system, the option of using older software with the new. And, probably one of the more enjoyable perks has been hunting for free apps in the Microsoft store. I'm waiting to do 3D software last, after I've had time to learn the basics of Windows 10. One thing I'd strongly recommend when setting up Windows 10 for the first time....during the setup process, take advantage of the option to turn off a lot of the tracking and other processes that would weigh down your system resources...you'll be glad you did later :)

Last edited:

skylab

Esteemed
Ran out of time trying to post the pic of the Windows utilities mentioned above, so here we go. . .

desktop.jpg

DanaTA

Distinguished
I have the old Start Menu listing, with those tiles on the right. I mostly ignore the tiles. If you really find them distracting, look for StartMenuX. It's not expensive, and it gives you more of the old style.

Attachments

• StartMenu.jpg
    StartMenu.jpg
    203.8 KB · Views: 122

skylab

Esteemed
Thanks for any tips you can share here :) Yes, I do find all that dog and pony show a bit distracting, especially the animated versions, which amount to blocks of flipping pop-up ads for X-Box, and other Microsoft products. I've tried taking the option to turn off the rolling ads, or even disable the block altogether, but then when I reboot, it all comes back :/ I'm at that stage where I'm still learning where the fixes are. All in all, I'm liking the operating system a lot better than I thought I would, but I'll like it even better once I've learned how to get "under it" and turn down the visual noise a little. This sort of thing is not so bad if one is just fooling around on the desktop, but once you start using it for more serious or intense projects that require concentration, the last thing you want going on in the background is a never-ending cartwheeling of news feeds, gaming ads or security teasers. I've run across what might be a decent article by Tech Radar on the subject of How to use Windows 10 which might provide some information, but again, it amounts to a few paragraphs per page surrounded by numerous ads and visual distractions. Back in the day, I'd spend time at the local bookstores, finding marked down computer books that were popular in the early 90's (Que and the "Mastering" series, and even the Visual How-To books). One could immerse themselves into learning, take in as much information as needed, without the commercialized push in the background. I may have to visit Amazon to see if there's anything like this that still exists for Windows 10.

Just an aside, I've enjoyed a couple rounds of Win10 Klondike Solitaire, but again, was disappointed when I was hit with options to register for online options...much like free games on Android tablets or phones. I tend to use light puzzle games for stress relievers, and wade through websites like BigFish or Alawar, or even Amazon in order to find something my (senior) speed. I'm also anxious to try out the built in Win10 Paint 3D program which at first glance reminded me of Sketchup.

skylab

Esteemed
Hey Dana, thanks for that tip about Start Menu X...and great timing. Turns out that registering the Pro version is only 99 cents per computer now, instead of $19.99 :)

:bee:

skylab

Esteemed
Well, I'm done for the evening, or should I say, my eyes are done :) Here's a screen cap (below) of proof that Windows 10 can indeed look similar to Windows 7, or the way Macintosh appeared years ago....but it takes some work. Still have to get control of the forced default programs, and deal with the appearance of the start menu at a later time. I'll be waiting for my main workstation drive to arrive in a week or so before dealing with Poser 11 installation, to make sure that there are enough licenses...the Win10 drive being set up this evening will primarily be for just surfing and occasional 3D projects in my kitchen.

Have a good evening everyone :)

desktop-win10.jpg

skylab

Esteemed
I've been wrestling with monitors today...wasn't satisfied with the resolution on the small monitor, so now I've got it on something that will be larger, a little tighter and a lot better for 3D work. The other monitor was showing the width incorrectly, but would not accept an appropriate resolution in the settings in order to correct it. Windows 10 doesn't yield to manual changes in the resolution without going through multiple checks, and it will repeatedly reject what it doesn't like. In Windows XP you could choose almost any setting within reason and it would do its best to accomplish it. Not so with strong-willed Win10...haha.

Think I'll be letting the TV watch me this evening since I need a break from computer-ing...so have a good evening everyone :)

:bee: