• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

SKYLAB CHAT

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
I could never do Windows 10 for that very reason. I ALWAYS use the Start Menu (and Control Panel) for access my software. I could never get used to the way Win10 works, that's for sure.

Then again, it took me about 2 weeks to get the Start Menu set up the same way I had it set up for WinXP, but once I got it done, I was back in action.

skylab

Esteemed
I thought the same thing, I didn't think I could adjust to the Win10 start menu. However, the far left side by default is very similar to the Win7 start menu. The part that's confusing is on the right side...if you've ever used a tablet, it becomes rapidly clear that it was created that way to appease tablet and phone users. The good part is, one can opt out of all those huge flashy blocks by right clicking on each unwanted icon, and selecting "unpin from start menu"...once you reboot, you'll notice that the start menu is customized to your preferences. After some experience with Windows 10, you'll probably visit the Microsoft store for free apps, similar to Google store. When you select apps and install them, their icons appear on the right side of the start menu. You can opt to place favorite icons on the desktop taskbar by simply right clicking and selecting "pin to taskbar". In my case, I did this with Settings, Control Panel, weather, notepad and Win10 Solitaire so that I wouldn't have to go searching for them during heavy use. When Windows 8 was released, some options to customize it were removed, and I assumed that once they were gone, they stayed gone, but some options returned to Win10 due to user requests. As long as the option to customize is there, I'm cool with it...I don't mind taking the time to learn it, and get under it to tame it down. I would have hated though being on the job and having the operating system go through such drastic changes with no option to customize....at least now, being retired, there's no pressure...there's plenty of time (nine months) to get used to the changes, and still fall back on Win7 if necessary (but for me and my family, so far it hasn't been necessary).

:bee:

Stezza

Dances with Bees
MS has now released the first preview builds of the next version of Microsoft Edge based on Chromium and is now ready for download on Windows 10 PCs.

It now shows the Daz forums and works pretty fast as well... using it now. ;)

DanaTA

Distinguished
I could never do Windows 10 for that very reason. I ALWAYS use the Start Menu (and Control Panel) for access my software. I could never get used to the way Win10 works, that's for sure.

Then again, it took me about 2 weeks to get the Start Menu set up the same way I had it set up for WinXP, but once I got it done, I was back in action.

I found Windows 10 fairly easy to set up. And the Control Panel is still there. And you don't have to go looking for it, just type "control panel" in the search box at the bottom left and it is in the results and just click on it. Easy. Start menu isn't that different, either, except the addition of the tiles on the right. But The menu itself is still there, alphabetically, as it was. I think people made too big a deal out of this. It scared off a lot of people for no truly good reason.

Dana

skylab

Esteemed
Thanks for the tip Stezza....I'll have to hunt that down and give it a try. I do tend to lean toward Google Chrome...by now it's just habit, probably because of less flash, just a simple search page.

Here's a screen cap of Blender 2.80 for Miss B...it looks very different, similar to Bforartists.

blender-2.80.JPG

DanaTA

Distinguished
MS has now released the first preview builds of the next version of Microsoft Edge based on Chromium and is now ready for download on Windows 10 PCs.

It now shows the Daz forums and works pretty fast as well... using it now. ;)

It's odd, I have not had issues with seeing the DAZ forums from the beginning. Maybe I was just lucky?

Dana

Stezza

Dances with Bees
It's odd, I have not had issues with seeing the DAZ forums from the beginning. Maybe I was just lucky?

Dana

mmm.. maybe the version of WinX you have .. the early versions of Edge browser didn't have the problem but the latest over the last 6 months or more did... not just Daz site but lots more couldn't be viewed especially here in Oz..

but this latest preview build has fixed those problems so far now they have changed over to the chromium engine which is run by google .

Miss B

CV-BEE
Start menu isn't that different, either, except the addition of the tiles on the right.
That's what I don't like, the tiles. It's styled too much like the Surface tablet, which I don't like either. I guess it's what you get used to.

skylab

Esteemed
Yeah, Miss B, here's a screen cap of my start menu after I toned it down a little. As you can see, the far left is very similar to Win7.

SCREEN-CAP-START.jpg

Miss B

CV-BEE
Yeah, those large icons would drive me crazy. At least you can disable them, so that's something.

DanaTA

Distinguished
mmm.. maybe the version of WinX you have .. the early versions of Edge browser didn't have the problem but the latest over the last 6 months or more did... not just Daz site but lots more couldn't be viewed especially here in Oz..

but this latest preview build has fixed those problems so far now they have changed over to the chromium engine which is run by google .

I've not had a problem at all, ever, with the DAZ forums showing in Edge. What version of Edge do you have? I am on 17.

Dana

DanaTA

Distinguished
Yeah, those large icons would drive me crazy. At least you can disable them, so that's something.

Actually, you get quite used to them, to the point that you hardly notice it anymore. At least, that's how I am.

I might try that hint about un-pinning from the Start menu, though. Do you have to do that for every tile, or will it do all at once, Skylab?

Dana

Last edited:

DanaTA

Distinguished

Perhaps it is location? I've kept my computer up to date, so I've had the newest updates of Windows 10 all along.

The only thing that really annoys me (but I get over it) is when there's an update, I can't tell it to ignore it indefinitely. (well, not indefinitely, but for up to 6 months) Sometimes I put my computer to sleep and go downstairs to watch TV and spend time with Diane, then I come back and the computer is running because of an update.

Dana

skylab

Esteemed
Each tile has to be unpinned individually...so it requires some time to disable everything, but once it's done, it's done. And yes, the way updates are processed was one of the adjustments for me. Since I have a lot of older software, I usually like to do some installations before facing Windows updates. When I discovered the either or situation....that is, let it update, or wait as much as five months, I decided to turn it loose and allow it to update everything overnight, and indeed it ran all night long. I miss the old arrangement of Windows update having a page where the updates could be selected.

:bee:

Stezza

Dances with Bees
I've not had a problem at all, ever, with the DAZ forums showing in Edge. What version of Edge do you have? I am on 17.

Dana

yep I'm a few ahead of yours.

the version previous to the preview build is Microsoft Edge 44.18362.1.0

the preview version is Version 74.1.96.24

my windows version is 18362.30

skylab

Esteemed
Making progress on workstation setup...almost completed actually. Poser 11 and runtime collection is installed and ready to roll. I think installing DAZ Studio 4.10 and its content library is all that remains.

Another Win10 start menu tip...the large icons can be resized. Just right click on them (individually), select resize, and pull over to select small. The first screen capture below illustrates the difference in how the icon will appear. The upside is the huge icons become more tolerable, but the downside is the text below the icons is no longer included, so I'll probably size the three icons back to medium, as in the second screen cap below.

Also, it's worth pointing out that the far left start menu arranges everything neatly in alphabetical order, as these screen captures also illustrate. Windows 7 has a tendency to get out of control in this particular area, much like the old Poser 7 library listing, which would cause some confusion in finding content. I do like Windows 10 strictly alphabetical sorting for this reason :) It's hard to teach an old dog new tricks, but I have to admit that it's really growing on me, especially since it didn't trash all my old software (that was my biggest concern about updating to Win10), and it does allow for some customizing to make the learning curve easier.

My biggest caution for Windows 7 loyalists is that you watch carefully for allowing or disabling Cortana permissions during initial setup when you boot up for the first time....otherwise you have to hunt all of them down later in the individual settings....allowing Cortana (voice control) to take over is a lot like cutting Facebook loose to freely use your personal information for reasons like "ad customization"...that is, if you give it an inch, it gladly takes a mile...including email address, passwords, location, surfing history. Back when the internet first started, nobody cared about this, and we enjoyed a certain amount of relaxed safety for awhile, but these days hackers use the least little thing to compromise a computer system.

Sometimes when I'd try to get across to senior co-workers about online risks, I'd recommend this four part series of old Walker Texas Ranger episodes (links below)...which starts to get interesting about 30 minutes into the first episode, called Winds of Change. The activities of the computer hacker "Buzz" is interesting (and educational) enough to help one overlook Chuck Norris' tendency toward emotionless acting...haha....while showing seniors just how vulnerable technology has made us.

Part 1 - Winds of Change

Part 2 - Lazarus

Part 3 - Turning Point

Part 4 - Retribution

win10-start.jpg

win10-start2.jpg