• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

SKYLAB CHAT

Terre

Renowned
Thanks for the link. Jim walked by as I was looking at the link and said "Those are pretty good gas pumps."

skylab

Esteemed
Hey Terre :) I thought perhaps you all might be interested in them. Been a long time since I've seen pumps like that.

:bee:

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Yes, they certainly bring back memories, as I haven't seen any like that in many a decade. ;)

DanaTA

Distinguished
It was an OK afternoon. Shoveled the driveway, cleared off the cars. Ate, showered, and went to get an oil and filter change done. Had a coupon. Then got some things at Walmart*, and picked up a gift card for a restaurant that I know my friend likes. Going to his birthday party on the 9th.

Dana

Stezza

Dances with Bees
...and a little exploring with scaling and rotation of the body, and body parts.

View attachment 45042

thanks for the link.... :)
works fine as usual in Carrara :flower02:

Colour My World

Colour My World.png

Terre

Renowned
It was an OK afternoon. Shoveled the driveway, cleared off the cars. Ate, showered, and went to get an oil and filter change done. Had a coupon. Then got some things at Walmart*, and picked up a gift card for a restaurant that I know my friend likes. Going to his birthday party on the 9th.

Dana
You had a busy day. I hope you got some rest today.

skylab

Esteemed
Will be setting up a Windows 10 drive this week for a family member, and after viewing these video demonstrations, I'm already dreading the minefield of privacy settings and bloatware. As much as I despise this sort of thing, it will have to be faced this year, as Windows 7 support will be discontinued next spring. In case anyone's interested in this setup info, I'm posting the videos below.

As I was typing this, the Windows 10 drive was delivered...so, I'm boldly going o_O

:coding:

DanaTA

Distinguished
I started Windows with Windows 3.0. Before that, I used DOS. Before that, I used a Commodore64, which I actually bought for Diane for a Christmas on year.

Dana

skylab

Esteemed
Me too...Dos 5 and Windows 3.0. Things sure have changed. Well, the Win10 drive has booted up and I've tip-toed through the initial setup. Now for connecting to the internet :/

o_O

DanaTA

Distinguished
Oh, I was in DOS 2, then 3. 4 was interesting. I found a shell replacement called 4DOS. It gave the ability for colored text, better batch files, music and menus. I actually made a batch file with a menu to my favorite shareware games at the time. It would play the Jeopardy waiting song while I made my selection, and when I quit the batch, it would play the Looney Tunes theme. It was fun. I had it set up so it would unzip the game, and when I quit, it would zip it up with replace, to save my new scores and save my level. It had short cut codes, too...easier commands to enter for common tasks, and you could even give a group of commands a single name, and just type that name and hit Enter. A friend was fooling around with Windows 1. But I didn't want to bother with it until late in the Windows 2 run, and quickly got onto Windows 3.

Dana

skylab

Esteemed
Well, the Win10 setup was a success, at least so far. I passed the drive along to a family member for further testing and to have in time for a birthday gift, and now I can put my feet up for the evening. My first impression of Win10 is...ah...they certainly went out of their way to hide the control panel and settings, so it took awhile to excavate what I needed to set up the drive. I will always prefer Windows XP or Win7. Win10 is more like a giant phone or tablet menu, and the only thing worse would have been if it had been a touch screen. I use a tablet occasionally, but swiping the screen usually takes a few tries...and it leaves me feeling like a cat in a litter box. I prefer a little more precision, and I can't imagine having something so inefficient in a workplace setting. I was however relieved to find that Win10 will tolerate desktop icons having the same appearance as Windows 7....it's just the start button menu that will appear to be a mess to anyone accustomed to Windows 7. Internet set up was a breeze...the refurbished drive didn't come with wifi, so I used a usb Linksys adaptor. Not bad, a Win10 system that looks new, with 16 gig of ram and a 1T drive for $200. I find it's the best way to go for those who are learning, rather than trashing a brand new drive if mistakes happen.

And yes, I remember the DOS games and batch files, and I had a DOS menu set up also. I enjoyed fooling with it, and it was a fun way to learn DOS commands. I remember it was quite an adjustment to use Windows 3 after roughing it with manually exploring directories. I had a couple of friends push me toward getting on the internet, and it took awhile to be convinced to try it, so I was somewhat of a late bloomer with that. I think it was fall of 1999 when I finally got online and built my first website. By then it at least looked similar to the present online experience, with Netscape, Internet Explorer, and AOL....when the internet first started, it appeared more like DOS commands, with lists of download options of shareware games...so it didn't seem very enticing to me. Web building, however, seemed interesting and I enjoyed tinkering with it. <BR> and similar codes reminded me of DOS commands, and I would build simple web pages on Geocities with coding rather than using the web building software.

DanaTA

Distinguished
If you just click into that box on the bottom left with the circle (that's the symbol for voice commands for the AI), where it says "Type here to search", and type "control panel", it will come up and you just have to click on it. The menu is pretty much the same on the left. It just has those tiles on the right. If you want to customize it, try a program called Start Menu X. It's fairly inexpensive and quite customizable. We used to use it. But when the laptop lost the hard drive, we lost it. She has gotten used to the regular menu and doesn't want it anymore. I've been fine with it on my computer. I have Windows 10 Pro. Showing the desktop rather than the tiles made it easier to get on with it for me.

Dana

skylab

Esteemed
Thanks for the tip :) I'll probably be ordering a Win10 drive for myself in a month or two, so I'll need to know as much as possible by then since my workstations are always more setup intensive...I'm a creature of habit and like things a certain way so that I'm not fumbling around trying to find frequently used programs and utilities.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
The only decent Windows version was XP. Unfortunately, it was only 32-bit, so with newer computers, you had to upgrade. It took me about 2-2 1/2 weeks to tame Win 7 to the point I liked it.

That said, I've pretty much made up my mind my next computer will be Linux, as I've had it with Microsoft.