• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

SKYLAB CHAT

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
I can't imagine why a "render" of a commercial product would do them any harm. If the user credits them, they're getting free advertising.

skylab

Esteemed
I agree, most of the time it refers to not distributing the freebie itself for profit. Believe it or not I've had people use poses that I've created for profit. Makes one wonder what makes a person tick who will snatch freebies from a handicapped little old lady to put money in their pockets...haha. I've never confronted it...mostly I feel sorry for them if they are that short on their own creativity and initiative.

And Seliah, you're right...can't go wrong just sending an email to obtain special permission...that's what I do in special circumstances. Some of the best collaborative projects that I've participated in began with emails requesting permission, so one never knows where it may lead. That curtain freebie is actually an add-on to a Genesis 8 product, if I remember correctly.

:bee:

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
And she's fine with it! In fact by the tone of her response, I'd almost suggest that she might not fully understand what "non-commercial" can mean to people who do anything even remotely commercial (even just 2D renders. I have actually come across items in the past that the creators don't even want used in commercial flat renders. Something THAT restrictive, I don't even bother to install).

upload_2019-2-21_17-6-20.png

So for those wondering about usage - I'd say it's the usual non-commercial license, aka, don't use the raw files commercially, renders are fine.

Incidentally, this is the reason that I always am SO very specific in my usage rights and make a point to mention that commercial renders are OK. It just helps prevent any confusion later on! :)

Terre

Renowned
Jim has seen enough of the ones who don't even want a commercial flat render done that he assumes this applies to all just to be on the safe side.

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Jim has seen enough of the ones who don't even want a commercial flat render done that he assumes this applies to all just to be on the safe side.

Yes. That's why I asked specifically. I don't assume, but in a case like this where I specifically am hoping to do a promo render with the item, I always ask "just in case." And I don't install until I've got an answer.

Anyway. I'll stop hogging Sky's thread now. :balloon03: Sorry, Sky!

DanaTA

Distinguished
I don't know. But I guess maybe some think that if they're giving something away, nobody should be making money from it.

Maybe it's as you said, Seliah, that they don't want them included in games and such.

Dana

Oh, I just saw your response! Good to know!

skylab

Esteemed
Am glad it turned out okay Seliah :) And no problem at all...stuff like this, it's good to share so all will understand. I never gave much thought to it before I started doing freebies, so I always choose the "commercial renders okay, but don't distribute" option....simply because it's the closest that comes to what would apply. If it were coming from me personally, I'd say "okay to email it to a friend, or commercial renders...just don't upload a bunch and resell or give them away in someone else's name". Sometimes people check the "all rights reserved" option, which sounds more restrictive.

Years ago, I even let Terre and the group know that it would be okay, if my expiration date rolled up, that if there was anything, especially of the Nursoda stuff, but not limited to the Nursoda stuff, that anyone wanted to keep in circulation, that it was okay if they did that. One reason I did that was, Wayii had trouble tracking down older Nursoda freebies that would just disappear for no apparent reason with no forwarding web address. So, I just wanted folks to understand that if I disappeared out of the loop due to long sickness, or if my expiration date came and I was gone on to the great final Sky Lab :), that it would be okay to redistribute the freebies, rather than have all that work be unavailable due to restrictions. The only thing I've ever disliked is seeing a few of my (sports) poses being included in a commercial product...so I just stopped doing sports poses altogether, to discourage it happening again. I didn't want to attract this kind of behavior, and so far, it hasn't happened again. Anyway, now everybody in this thread knows....whether I'm here, there, or elsewhere, you can use, and even distribute the poses freely in my name, just don't make a profit off of something intended to be free. Gee...I just had a funny feeling typing that....but I guess it's very similar....that is, the gospel was given freely, to be received freely and given freely, and how odd and offensive it is when we see people trying to "pray or heal for profit", since it misrepresents and perverts the original "free gift".
"Freely you have received, freely give. Matt 10:8" So I guess that's my EULA... :)

slon-pc.gif

:drawing:

skylab

Esteemed
By the way, it's worth mentioning, my Last Supper and Crucifixion projects both began with emails to Mark Fowler regarding permission to use his stuff...he turned out to be the nicest person, and we enjoyed working together later :)

:coding:

skylab

Esteemed
Nursoda alert: The latest freebie character, Kramp :) Cool character...I will say, his rigging is quite different. I don't want to spoil the search and discovery, but I will mention that in order to see the eyes, you must select each eyelid and adjust as desired :)

KRAMP-NURSODA.jpg