• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

SKYLAB CHAT

skylab

Esteemed
Hey Terre :) I've been resting most of today...I've been enjoying my slow down time after the holidays. It usually takes a few days into January before I can really sleep soundly again...always reasons to rise early in December.

I'm already using binoculars to check out the long range forecast...and the east coast seems to be due at least snow showers Jan 12-16th. The last time they predicted "snow showers" we ended up under a foot of snow, so just a heads up for east coast folks.

:bee:

skylab

Esteemed
More Beatles trivia...or should I say Ringo drum trivia. His unique style of drumming was due to being left-handed, playing a small right-handed Ludwig jazz drum kit set up. When I was learning to play drums, even though I'm definitely right-handed, I just couldn't get it on a standard kit set up. It wasn't until someone gave me a set after I retired (for leg exercise) that I experimented with the set up, and realized that musically I "thought" keyboard whenever I was on the drums...that is, bass on the left, treble on the right. Since I was learning self-styled for my own enjoyment, I reversed the order of the set to be a modified left kit, and then things were easier, and I wasn't getting tied up in unnatural reaches that Ringo describes below...my brain was wired for going left to reach the bass, and attempts at first to unlearn that did not work for me. Back in the '60's it would have been rather risky for Ringo to perform in public with a modified set up...so I guess he opted to compensate for it.

In the first part of the Phil Collins video, Phil is playing a left-handed set, next to a guy playing a right-handed set, demonstrating the difference.

And finally, the last video is a description of some simple methods to get a small jazz set to sound like the Beatles' recordings.

skylab

Esteemed
If you can ignore the distracting subtitles in this video, it gives a quick, and rare view of the Beatles in the recording studio. Performing in the early years wore them out, so by the time of the Sgt. Pepper album, they were turning toward totally focusing on studio recording of a sound that could not be duplicated in public performance...and it kept on this way until they finally broke free of this with the live cuts on the Let It Be album, and finally Abbey Road. Unfortunately it was a little late, since they'd gotten accustomed to studio experimentation, self expression, and introspection until it eroded the excitement of being a group and a band...ending in something much like a divorce. It's interesting that Paul and Ringo have survived the others...and both still appreciate performing live and being in a band.

NURSODA NOS-DOC BAND ANIMATION (using Nos heads and Doc Pitterbill bodies)

NOS-DOC---BAND.gif

NOS-DOC-BAND-1.jpg

NOS-DOC-BAND-2.jpg

Terre

Renowned
Sometimes performers try too hard and end up ruining things for themselves. It seems to me that it's not an easy balance to achieve.

skylab

Esteemed
You're so right. The Beatles were successful as a group...but John Lennon with his issues and George Harrison with his, they didn't have the stage presence and cheerfulness needed to be good performers over the long haul. You just can't go through life in a half-drugged state, dragging a bunch of controversial baggage behind you, and expect it to pave the road to success. Paul McCartney had the positive ingredient...he knew how to be pleasant and appreciative to his audience...and ironically, in his shows now, even as a senior, he's performing live the stuff that everyone said couldn't be done...even from Sgt. Pepper, Magical Mystery Tour and Abbey Road. If they had all put their energy into learning to produce live shows, they could have lasted awhile longer as a group...and also curb where necessary the producer's desire to be the "5th Beatle", who was nudging them toward back masking and exploring the weird for weird's sake. When they broke up in 1970 I was like "you've got to be kidding"...it seemed they wadded up their success and threw it to the wind.

:peace:

Terre

Renowned
It seems to me that's been the case with some other groups too. Highly successful as a team but some didn't make it on their own. Meanwhile other did very well post-group. I have a Wings LP somewhere in the house. Paul and company did a good job on it. Some day I need to get around to using the equipment we bought a while back to transfer LPs and cassettes to CDs.
We've got some VHS tapes we need to do the same to as well.

skylab

Esteemed
I use a Diamond converter for transferring VHS to DVD via computer. Does a pretty good job and saves a step in the conversion process.

And here we have....Little Richeind :)
A whop bop-a-lu-bop a lop bam boom

LITTLE RICHARD HEIN.jpg

This interview was done in 1998 when Little Richard was 66 years old...and he's apparently still hanging in there at 86 years old now...haha.

In the second video he's 68...and reveals a little about the rejection from his father and his abusive upbringing (being tied to a bed and whipped until his back was bleeding), which in turn probably contributed to how well he could scream on pitch during his performances.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
We've all been checking to see when it shows up. No one from SM has announced any kind of delay, so not sure what the issue is. The last comment about the timing said the East Coast USA would probably be able to access it first, as their servers are no longer in California.

Miss B

CV-BEE
I just run the download manager once or twice a day. If it comes through you'll see that it's available for download and installation

skylab

Esteemed
When I was young, I adored Art Garfunkel's voice. Here's a video of his son, who seems to have inherited that voice, singing with him (Art is in his late '70's now) :)

Miss B

CV-BEE
You mentioned Art Garfunkel, and the first thing I thought of was the 59th Street Bridge Song. Not really surprising, since I live in New York.

Janet

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
I love that song. Grew up with Simon and Garfunkle as my older brother had all their albums.