• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

SKYLAB CHAT

skylab

Esteemed
Good morning Terre :) It's the smell and taste of the chlorine that's not so pleasant...after a couple of days it goes away. I've got plenty put away in the fridge now...just had to remember to do it :)

Finally finished this pose this morning...it's been nearly completed for weeks. Thought I'd let Dusk SE be the first to drive Web Wizard's free Classic Convertible Car from Rendo free stuff.

DUSK 57 CHEVY

DUSK 57 CHEVY.jpg

Terre

Renowned
Looking good there. :)

I dislike the taste as well so I let the water stand in the fridge for a day before drinking it as we often have high levels here.

skylab

Esteemed
I used my Rendo coupon to get some goodies for Paul...a body suit, full body morphs, and a clothing converter from M3-M4 to Paul. Between the added facial morphs, and the facial controls in Poser 11, this was a quick attempt at capturing the stern demeanor of Spock's father, very different from Paul's appearance, rendered in P11 Superfly.

P11 PAUL VULCAN.jpg

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Hey, not a bad likeness Sky. I don't usually use Paul or Pauline, so anytime I have to test something with them, all those extra controls built in drive me crazy.

skylab

Esteemed
After doing many pose sets with a variety of characters, Paul is my favorite male character, and Roxie is my favorite female...both because of their rigging and ease of use, and their average height and appearance which allows them to fit easily into any Poser standard environment or vehicle...and their hands...they both have nice hands. About the time I was really getting familiar with Paul, I had to take a break from 3D, so I never had the chance to follow up on any support content for him. So tonight I finally found some things I'd been wanting to get. There isn't a XD license for him, and doubt that there will be, so the fitting room converter was the next best thing. As for the "extra controls", I keep forgetting that they are an option. When Smith Micro did a survey some time back, before Poser 11, to find out what new features users would want to see added to Poser, I requested character creation tools, to push and pull, having the option to sculpt like modeling clay. The facial controls in Poser 11 are similar to what I was requesting, only I was envisioning something a little more advanced. But there is enough there to do basic facial shaping. The limitation of the face room is that the character has to be a recognized Poser figure (so Nursoda characters can't be used in the face room). I'd like to see universal facial control options so that any character could be customized without disturbing the rigging. Universal facial controls, and improvements in animation tools would be at the top of my Poser wish list :) Whatever causes the floaty thing in animations...not sure if it's physics or some other issue...I'd like to see that improved, or more easily done, so that keeping the character's feet on the ground plane is not such a challenge. I think they have already successfully created at least two good characters with Paul and Roxie....but they could use more clothing. Paul finally has some good texture sets available now...I like Ace the best (the one used on the Vulcan character). And, if the Poser content folder could lose the "blinky" thing...I know there's no hope of going back to the old content library that worked without fail...but if they could just get the bugs out of it so that it would consistently show without issues....sometimes it "takes off" by itself and starts scrolling when I've barely touched it...and I have to wait for it to finally stop and settle down. It's things like that...it would have to be on the wish list of requested Poser improvements too :)

:bee:

Last edited:

skylab

Esteemed
Hey Terre :) Guess Wayii will be busy again with Onat-skins.

I did a Superfly render of the three characters for Paul on Rendo...Kevin, Ace, and Paolo. I don't normally use the character morph inj since I usually end up doing pose work with the characters...the textures are sufficient to give Paul a fresh appearance.

paul-characters.jpg

Terre

Renowned
Which is why they almost look like a batch of triplets. :) For pose purposes you're right, differences is facial structure and such won't matter. That certainly makes the figure lighter on system resources for you.
I have learned some things despite only having used Poser a few times.

skylab

Esteemed
Yep...more morphs means more memory, which slows down the system. Main difference in first two Pauls is in the eyebrows and darker features in the first, and of course the third is even more fair with no facial hair. The main hassle of body morph injections is the distinguishing changes to body shape that require fiddling with clothing, my un-favorite thing to do...haha...and of course the difference in memory use. Also, I never know for sure how something like this would affect a distributed pose that is intended for the base figure, as most people on a tight budget only have the figure that comes with Poser. It's that group that I'm targeting with the work that I create...the forgotten hobbyists who get left behind in all the commercial turf wars. So, I just use the skin textures to keep the peace :) Sometimes I get creative with the face in my own work, if I'm doing a special project.

I have noticed that M4, though still used and well received, is starting to slip in popularity, and other figures have always fallen under M4 in terms of popularity. The community is and always has been flooded with V4 support, so there was no need for me to spend time with that. I mostly settled on doing poses for male figures because of all the threads we used to see on DAZ forum, begging for male content support, only for it to be received with the response "but it doesn't sell as well". I guess they learned that from Daz-onomics 101...that is, we must make top dollar for our time all the time, and destroy the competition at all costs. I have a family member who has been successful at business for many years...and he would say that there is a third choice to pursue...that is "sell quantity". If you can't sell 200 of each item, then create and sell twice as much...then you'll still get your target amount, and have happier customers. It just involves working a little harder, and learning ways to work a little faster and more efficiently, instead of indulging inconsistent habits. This would have worked back when there was a market for it, back around 2008-2012 when folks were begging for certain content. But now...I'm not sure that anything would salvage the situation. I think the answer lies somewhere between FED and UP....haha. The same thing applies to the poses I give away for free...I still work just as hard on them...but it used to yield 80-100 downloads during the first week...now it's more like 30-40. The issue is more than people's taste now...the community is either shrinking, or scattering to other 3D communities...I tend to think it's the latter, heading to new, more mature territory using different software altogether. Whether it's shrinking, or scattering, the days of bullying the customer into submission are slowly coming to an end. And if we're smart, we'll find ways to become compatible with other higher end software, and learn from the mistakes of the past...which means we get to be a small duck in a very large pond for a change...and we'll survive by learning to do a little of this, and a little of that...and we might have to work a little harder to conquer the learning curve. New can be scary, or it can be exciting, depending upon outlook.
...just bee bold, and bee positive :bee:

:beehive:

skylab

Esteemed
Dusk driving pose using the free Yamaha 650 motorcycle from Rendo free stuff.

DUSK YAMAHA 650

DUSK YAMAHA 650.jpg

NOTE: If there is hesitation when the motorcycle is loading in Poser, it seems there is a missing texture somewhere in the wheel causing the delay. Eventually it will load if you cancel the search for the texture, or somehow find it. In my case, I was going to replace all the textures anyway, so I just canceled it out. Other than some texture issue(s), it's a great bike model.

:coding: