• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

SKYLAB CHAT

skylab

Esteemed
That's amazing to me...if only I could learn to do that! Modeling is really what I was doing at first when I started with 3D...just doing little props. Rounded shapes are easy to create in Anim8or, so I did a lot of vases and jars, then graduated to building things with pieces, then finally did some houses brick by brick...like virtual lego projects...haha. Then I became involved in animation and left the modeling behind...so the modeling never matured. So...I'll be picking up where I left off. If I could create ANYTHING without parenting pieces together would be wonderful :) Your modeling is really taking off into advanced stuff...and we're cheering you on here in this thread :)

:bee:

skylab

Esteemed
Examples of early modeling, eight years ago...lot's of round stuff at first :)

alabaster-jar.jpg
bottles.jpg

drinking-cup.jpg
corked-jar.jpg

soda-bottle.jpg
chocs.jpg

fruit-bowl-poser-11.jpg

biblical-house.jpg

Stezza

Dances with Bees
Very cool... that's how I started off... and just did a bit more each time..

here's a video tut I just did this arvo... my first attempt at it .. was requested by a few Carrara'ists over yonder..

It's just a basic tyre modelled in Carrara.. only took about 12 minutes or so to do. but you may get some ideas from it.

skylab

Esteemed
Wow, thanks for that video Stezza. I downloaded it from YouTube so that I can view it full screen, and see exactly what you were doing. Maybe I can give it a try tomorrow after a bit more rest. When I surf and download, after awhile my eyes get tired just from looking at the monitor and reading small print for long hours....basically, what I call "monitor eyes"...and I know I'll need "fresh eyes" for learning something new. Man, you had the tread on those tires...down to fine details. I like that. I need to pay attention to what you were pressing in order to lock the four sections together without any seams showing. And looks like this will be my first practice at "extrusion". You know of course if this is successful that I will be hooked on modeling for life...I liked the creative part of it when I was making props...so I'm looking forward to trying this. Thanks again for taking time to do the video....and if you make any more for your modeling thread, please post them here too. I think a lot of folks visit this thread, so it would help the visitors as well :)

:bee:

skylab

Esteemed
Another Blender book arrived today by mail...found a used copy of Learning Blender: A Hands-On Guide to Creating 3D Animated Characters on Amazon. There is a newer, 2nd edition of this book, but the first edition covers Blender 2.71, and the price on a used copy was good. It is recommended for those new to Blender, and it comes with downloadable support files and video tutorials upon registering the book online (see screen cap below). I include this screen cap to prepare any interested user for the download time and volume.

support-files.jpg

Also, a link is recommended to the author's website at blendtuts.com , which includes free video tutorials,

:coding:

skylab

Esteemed
Ahhh, so you're interested in this stuff also, Seliah :) I always try to share the information when I blaze a trail, for the benefit of others. I figure, being retired, I have plenty of time to do searches, and it's a way of possibly helping others while I'm educating myself. Sometimes you have to search multiple times on Amazon, like with the newer Blender books...at first I was getting nothing at all, then slowly, every day, search after search, it started giving it up, and it ended up being several books on Amazon. I got more results when I searched "Blender 2.7" without being more specific. I like to get used books if possible...saves a lot of money, and is no different than a public library book. Some of those books priced new are in the $50 to $100 range :eek: , so when I see one for $10 or $15, I jump on it.

I tried the same searches with Carrara ...and got the same results...then this afternoon some useful stuff started appearing. What's really odd, the same thing happens at DAZ when doing a Carrara tutorial search...and I know for certain that there have been video tutorials there. I'll keep trying until it yields some information. I did get a Carrara Animation tutorial by PhilW at 41% off today...I recognized the author as one of the folks who visits Stezza's thread.

:coding:

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Yes! Blender is my preferred modeling software. It makes the most sense to me. :) I have access to a tutorial that Miss B was kind enough to refer me to quite some time ago, and when I do have a bit of time, I break into it and go through what I can. But Blender is one of those softwares that it's proven (to me anyway) to be extremely beneficial to soak up any and all tutorials I can. ^_^

Terre

Renowned
Hmmm..... I'm going to need to remember things like that when searching for something.

Three Christmas ice creams arrived in today's frozen order. The boss looked at them shaking his head. He didn't really want to put them out until around Halloween. He was even more reluctant to just stick them in the back because they'd likely get lost so on the shelf they went.

skylab

Esteemed
This movie was mentioned in another thread. Live green screen footage was composited in Adobe After Effects, and Carrara was used to create the space environment and ship. The general info page about this video is here, explaining the purpose of the project. The first video below is the actual finished project, the second is the behind the scenes video, showing brief clips of how the live footage was shot, along with the separate Carrara scenes, and at 2:35, even Poser 6 James can be seen sitting down :)

skylab

Esteemed
I couldn't help but think of this when I saw Stezza's tire modeling tutorial...this sketch of the motorcycle I used to ride was done when I was a very young teenager...so my tires were not even close to precision, but they had tread...haha. The bike was a Yamaha 100 cc Trailmaster. My German Shepherd liked to race with me around the track...great memories :)

yamaha---1968.jpg

skylab

Esteemed
A few years ago I was sitting in traffic with a friend who was driving, and I could hear a few vehicles behind us the sound of a Suzuki revving the throttle...and without thinking, I muttered "Suzuki". When traffic started moving, the bike flew past us...and sure enough, it was a Suzuki. My friend looked dumbfounded and asked "how did you know that?" I said..."the sound". Each bike has it's own sound. Toward the end of this YouTube video, the man starts up the Yamaha 100cc Trailmaster, and it has the characteristic "beehive" sound :beehive:. Harley's have the heavy blub, blub, blub idle. And Suzuki bikes always sound like they are in desperate need of a tune up, or two cats in a bag, fighting...haha.

skylab

Esteemed
...and the red 1986 Honda Rebel 250cc that I rode years later was perfect for short people, with the Harley "dip" frame style...another fun bike that handled well.

skylab

Esteemed
Good morning Terre :) Haha...yes, have to admit that was true...because my dad was into them, so through him, I saw, and heard things, like a mechanic would see them. He caught the worst case of mid life crisis that ever hit a man...he went from being a normal type of dad, to being a bike collector, and was into traveling and camping, never being home, and he grew long "Elvis" sideburns. He needed someone in the family to accept him as he was, or what he was morphing into...and I gave it my best shot, because my instincts were sending me strong signals that he was going to leave us...so I rolled up my sleeves and got dirty messing with cars and bikes, to hopefully make a connection that would be secure. But I learned early, in a time when things weren't as accepted as they are today, that life isn't always happily ever after. Back in those days, divorce was considered to be totally unacceptable in small communities and especially in local churches. So all of his drama became the family drama as well. Now days that stuff has become almost normal (unfortunately), but back at that time, there was no manual, no play book, for how to do life when a family derails and sails over a cliff. Nothing was even on TV that resembled the emotional storm that hit our home (and spiritual lives)...until perhaps All in the Family. Dad certainly wasn't Ward Cleaver...haha...and our family was not the Waltons. We learned the misery of doing "separate but equal holidays"...which conditions one to dreading all holidays after awhile. It took years for me to steer back toward normalcy...and longer still for the rest of my family. Dad spent the rest of his younger years running cross country with motorcycle groups, etc. There's a lot in that etc., so 'nuff said. I finally made peace and stopped blaming God (what happened to us sure wasn't His idea....funny, we're all like little kids...get into trouble, then try to find someone else to blame when things head south...haha) by my mid twenties, and spent many years trying to connect with my dad...a lot like marlin tag and release sport fishing...until finally, a few years before he passed, he settled down and made peace over his past behavior. So yes...I'm still into bikes...because they remind me of the jumps and turns that life can take, and how people like my dad can be heading straight for the dark side, and then turn around, and make changes. And...I like the tenacity of fishermen :)