• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

SKYLAB CHAT

skylab

Esteemed
Okay...I finally got a rough rig test. I had problems in Poser 11 with the construct vs the lighting on an imported .obj, so after a few rounds with that, I switched to Poser 7 which is easier for rig testing. The imported Snoopy kept wanting to load lying on his back...no problem, I just stood him upright and went into the setup room. I thought all was well until I exited the setup room, and he assumed the imported lying flat position again. I've never seen this happen before. After wrestling with P7 awhile, I went back into Carrara and repositioned Snoopy hoping to compensate for the difference in position in P7, as they were not the same, and finally I was able to import him upright on his feet...and continued with the rough test. There was no breaking of the mesh at all, no matter how much it stretched, so I think Snoopy will be fine for a full rigging. Here he is bending and twisting :)

snoopy-rig-test.jpg

skylab

Esteemed
A beep beep good morning to everyone...here's the rough rig test for Stezza's road runner. This one took longer as there were lighting issues with the feet...as only Poser can do, the feet would only render black no matter where I placed the lights. After some fiddling, and stopping to think awhile, I tried adjusting the ambient settings, and then they rendered fine. The quick rig worked beautifully, and here are the results :)

Road Runner - Poser 11.jpg

Road Runner Rig Test - p11.gif

skylab

Esteemed
Yeah...repetition can reinforce the learning process, and will help later as I get in deeper, unfamiliar territory (I don't think one can get any deeper than Blender...haha...my course book is supposed to arrive today in the mail...oh, have mercy on my soul...haha). I really hope Poser and Blender will get on the same page...somebody somewhere needs to get on the same page regarding file compatibility...so that things can progress to a new level for everyone. That's the learning environment we had back in 2006 when I started in 3D...I'm so glad that I had that opportunity to learn when Studio, Hexagon, Carrara and Poser were totally compatible. Goes to show how the first little thought about protecting financial territory kept advancing and consuming, and ended up altering the entire community and the future of 3D...and instead of the community growing, it fragmented into different camps. We have to be ever so careful about little thoughts that can result in outcomes we never anticipated. To quote a great, life-giving source...take no thought for your life...but seek first the kingdom, and all these (physical) things will be added to you. In my experience, when I've given, I've received even more in return. The opposite can be true...investing our time building fences and walls results in even our world getting smaller, and less joyful. I've lived a lot of years and have had time to try it both ways...it's like 3D...you keep fiddling with it, and learning from mistakes, until you find what works :) I was of a melancholy nature when I was young...and there were a lot of reasons for that...and those things can become like cancer, consuming, and advancing, building what we might think are protective fences and walls around our battered territory, until we wake up one day and realize our world is shrinking. When one is 4 feet 11 inches, shrinking's not good...haha...ever see the old classic movie, the Incredible Shrinking Man? Even the pet house cat became a threatening bully...haha.

Okay, back to 3D....Blender has fantastic file import and export capability, including .obj...the challenge is, facing how the modeler's have chosen to create their figures...tris or quads, and the only way to face that is to download the model and give it a try. I included all the Blender toon links above in case anyone who enjoys that sort of thing could test some of them out, export them them to .obj and see what happens. If for no other reason, they certainly will inspire modelers, seeing what others are creating :)

Have a good day everyone :)

:bee:

skylab

Esteemed
I sure hope that I don't wear Stezza out with questions....but I happened to see this image roll by on the forum home page, clicked in and it was one of Stezza's renders, called Harry's Horse Trailer ...the question, where did you find that beige car?? I'm asking because I have searched high and low for a car that would be very similar to that, that is, a beige 544 Volvo. I learned to drive when I was 13 with one of those, by making roads on our property and flying like the wind around the turns and jumps...haha...a lot like this YouTube Swedish race. The body style of the yellow 544 Volvo in the race is similar to the "Hudson Hornet" in the Cars movie :)

I just searched for, and found, something that may help should I venture deeper into modeling...someone on swaqvalley.com has uploaded a number of free samples of car prints for modelers to use, and the 544 Volvo happens to be one of them, pictured below. Makes me want to go zoom, zoom.... :)

1963_Volvo_PV544_Sport-swaqvalley-sample.jpg

Stezza

Dances with Bees
I sure hope that I don't wear Stezza out with questions....but I happened to see this image roll by on the forum home page, clicked in and it was one of Stezza's renders, called Harry's Horse Trailer ...the question, where did you find that beige car??

That's my FX/FJ Holden .. I've been modelling that for about 8 years now... still not satisfied/finished.

upload_2018-9-29_12-5-52.png

skylab

Esteemed
Hey Stezza :) I wondered, after I asked about the car, and then saw your submarine model in your thread today, if perhaps you had created the car yourself (wow, eight years of working on it) . I liked your submarine...and it didn't have all the "ring around the sub" problem that the one in the Carrara model troubleshooting thread had. I try to lurk and learn over there, and keep respectfully quiet around those who know what they are doing. I can remember doing that for a long time before launching into Poser...some things I just picked up from forum discussions...and a lot of it flew right over my head...haha :)

I've been working on the intro to the Blender course book. One thing I'll say from a new-bees' perspective...there is way, way, way....way too much opportunity for customization of the interface...and every tutorial, and every video instruction is using a slightly different setup. From a teacher's perspective, this is not good. I'm having to stop and google every few minutes to look up where such and such feature "should" be located. I much prefer a definite standard for learning purposes, and a software interface that does not jump around, or hide parts of itself by one mistaken click of the mouse.

By the way, seeing your car from the front, it really reminds me of the 1948 Hudson that my father had...it had a tall, hefty hood like that. He was a mechanic, and our quality time consisted of my puttering around behind him, learning about cars, or anything that had a motor :)

:bee: