• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

SKYLAB CHAT

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
I've just found myself in a difficult position sometimes of mediating between the opinions, keeping peace.

Yeah, I understand that frustration completely. I've been in a similar position many times in the past. These days, I just walk away. I won't do it, because it's rarely constructive, and doesn't often work too well.

These days it's increasingly difficult to allow Poser users equal time with discussions and projects, or to create Poser-only content, without the broken record re-playing of why Poser is felt not to be as good as DS, or folks wanting DS content instead of Poser.

Yeah, I hate those arguments. I do. Am I comfortable in Poser? No. Not at all. But it's a very good program! It really is! I like what it's capable of doing. I just struggle with the interface when using it. I would never, ever go to the length of putting down the software's functionality. It's very capable of pretty much anything we want to do with it. Heck, just for the sake of learning the UI a bit better, I've been working on a Mike4 package. LOL Yes, even with the INJ issues I had with Nataani. :D

But to go as far as to claim one or the other isn't as good as the other side? That's nuts. They're both excellent pieces of software.

As for DS pose work, I've been shocked, after brief use of DS4, at how absolutely simple it is to use Poser format poses in DS...just import the pose and apply it the figure. So like, what's the problem? Why do DS users even need DS versions of poses?

For figures that work natively inside of Poser, I have to agree with you. Mike 4, Vicky 4, Dawn, Dusk. I normally make the poses on the Poser side. Nataani was an exception, because he was a full character pack that I had originally not intended to try and port over to Poser, so I didn't stress the poses too much. Future HW characters, though, I will probably do them on the Poser side first, because it's a much quicker process for me to port them TO Studio than it is to port a Studio file TO Poser.

But if the only thing I'm doing for an item is poses - I agree completely - figures that work in Poser don't really need DS versions, as the poses mostly work just fine when loaded.

Where poses need to be made inside of DS, are for figures that don't work, or don't work well, inside of Poser. Primarily the Genesis 1, Genesis 2, and Genesis 3 figures. These, the poses often get made DS-native, because the figures don't work natively within Poser, so doing them as .pz2's makes no sense. That said, though, I remember a challenge on the Daz forums some time ago... I had offered one of the entry prizes, and we had one user who was still using DS3 Advanced, and thus could not make use of .duf files. I went and converted the poses over to .pz2 format for him so that he was not left out of the entry prize.

But for things like the generation 4, generation 3 figures... yeah. We don't really NEED those poses saved in DS format. The only reason to do that is as an end user who doesn't want to have to bounce back and forth between their Poser format and their DS format library sections. And even then, there's only just so far you can justify that. LOL

Frankly, I think it has to do more with the fact that DS is free. If DAZ put a price on the software, if it was priced at the range that their users claim it's worth up against Poser, suddenly the number of users would be impacted, and the playing field would be level again.

There was a period of time where Daz did charge for the program. The number of users didn't really decline at all.

I think there's a large group of individuals who have come into the hobby in recent years, and gotten very accustomed to being spoon fed, and those are usually the ones who holler out for DS versions of a Poser item. When DS was first released, it was Studio that was lacking in support. Now it looks like the beam has swung the other way, and the roles have reversed.

The basic issue there is that certain sites have done a very good job at getting new users accustomed to the idea of being spoon fed, and it takes some time before those folks begin experimenting with what's actually under the hood of their software. I am reminded of one individual who threw a honking hissy fit because a vendor who made high heeled shoes did not supply a "shoe fit" pose. And looking at that thread, it was painfully clear where the pattern was. Veteran 3D users were all telling him "so you spin the dials, that's why we have translation and rotation dials," and the newer users were basically coming in behind him with "yeah, what he said!"

The difference there, I think, is the more seasoned folks - like you, like me - remember way-back-when if we wanted something done, we figured out how to do it ourselves, and knew no one was going to do it for us. Nowadays, there's a group of folks that are so conditioned to everything they could want for convenience coming in the pack, that when a vendor does not include it, there's a bit of an outcry, or at least a brief moment of dismay.

I don't spoon feed. I never have. I never will. I will write up tuts, but it's up to the end user to read them and apply them. I'll answer questions, but it's up to the user to read and apply it. I won't do it for anyone. If they want something badly enough, they'll take advantage of answers and tutorials and learn. If they don't, they won't, and we can't make them do it.

After using DS, and realizing that folks could have been using the content all along with the import feature, I couldn't help but come to the conclusion ..... they want it Free AND ultra-Easy....well....la-Tee-da....haha.

Again, this goes back to which generation of users we're talking about, I think. Right from my first baby steps inside of DS, I never even batted an eyelash at the import. I want to use a prop that's in Poser format? Bam, go to the Poser library, load it in. Materials? Not a big deal. There's my surface tab, I just adjust them to my liking and I'm good to go.

About the only things that really do NOT work inside of DS at this point? Poser python scripts, Poser materials/shaders, and Poser dynamic hair. I can make just about anything else I want, work for me. I've even gotten the TerraDome 2 working beautifully in DS! Like 85-90% functional! LOL

People need to learn their tools - that's the difference between the ones who complain about a lack of DS format on a prop item, and the ones who don't. I buy Poser-only content all the time. I download Poser-only freebies all the time. I use them in DS all the time. And when I'm making items, such as props, I try to make sure I produce a Poser-native version of the prop as well. If for some reason I just can't get it to work? Then I supply the raw .OBJ so that Poser artists can import it and use it that way on their own.

Can you tell I'm about done with all of this....hahaha. It used to be a fun and creative hobby....now....not so much. I'd prefer this time to be restful, pleasant and peaceful....and having a break from all this has proven to be that, and more.

As always, I do encourage others to learn all they can, and be all they can be, and hopefully to contribute to shining light rather than increasing the darkness.

Time for rest now.

That's one of the things I really like about the Hivewire site. We don't have the aggravation of program wars going on. Everyone does their own thing, and we all generally mix very well together for the most part. I have not seen anyone poking at another person's choice of software. I have seen lots of very interesting discussions, and lots of folks helping each other out and working together. It's a huge relief, and a beautiful change in tone and feel. And it's one of the reasons I like this place so much.

Take care, Sky. Rest well, and stay well. :) It's nice to see you pop in when you're able.

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
That's great news, Terre. Legs are one of the hardest limbs to heal - only outdone by hands - because we use them so much. Glad you're doing better.

Maja

Eager
Another W.I.P.

Outer-Garment2-b.png
Outer-Garment2-a.png

Charles West

Adventurous
boo.... yep stepping back in a moment.... have been dealing with Deb's medical stuff and a computer death. I hope to get back on with my 3d stuff but no idea on the timeline. Deb had a hernia from the old surgeries and got it repaired and is healing well. This laptop will not handle the graphics and Deb is still needy so I have priorities. I will try to drop in from time to time and update.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Hey, good to see you sir!! Take care of Deb until she's 100% healed. We'll still be here when you get another chance to check in. :)

Maja

Eager
Hi, Charles. I hope Deb will get well soon. Health always is most important.

---

I'm still busy on biblical clothing. Approaching the royal class of dynamic clothes, three pieces of clothing on top of each other. ;)

Schal-WIP.png
outer-02.png