• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

SKYLAB CHAT

skylab

Esteemed
Maja, you've already had a request on ShareCG for a Genesis version of your biblical outfit, and I recognized the person as being someone who's requested a lot of stuff from me, so I posted where she could find Genesis outfits that have already been created. I'll re-post this here, to include live links, in case it's needed:

FOR GENESIS BIBLICAL CLOTHING:
Try going to Cornucopia3d.com and look for Realms Art Genesis Jesus Christ for DAZ Studio 4...the set has a robe, cloak, sandals, loin cloth, cross, nails, and crown of thorns. Also, Wilmapsdigitalcreations.co.uk has a free Genesis Roman Style Outfit in the Genesis section, which includes Roman robe and cloak.

There are also Optitex biblical robes links mentioned in this DAZ forum thread requesting this type of clothing.

Here are examples of the free Wilmaps Genesis robe:

LAST SUPPER GENESIS - closeup.jpg
GENESIS ROBE RED-BLUE.jpg

skylab

Esteemed
Since the page has rolled over since Maja posted the link to her robe on the previous page, here's the link to the ShareCG download for her Poser biblical robe for P11 Paul.

I've also just posted the Genesis links on all of my DS4 M4 pose set pages in hopes that the information will circulate, so that there won't be distractions with these questions as she attempts to create stuff for Poser 11 characters.

Maja

Eager
I'm fine. It's not that easy to get me down. ;)

Skylab, I've already bookmarked the most important thread pages. Please be patient, otherwise I would have to worry about you. :rolleyes:

I generally prefer to finish entire outfits to release them as a package. I had to rework the Under-Tunic twice because of serious trouble with the belt in Cloth Room which did not do like I wanted. No the belt is inherent part of the Under-Tunic an with the preset dynamic and soft decorated group it works fine for me now. Hope you like it, too.

skylab

Esteemed
Hi Maja...I understand from past projects with folks that belts in the cloth room can be challenging, but it does look nice. I'm loading the outfit now.

I emphasize again that there's certainly no rush on this, I gathered the information and photo references for you when I had a chunk of time to do so, and the information will always be there for your reference. I'm moving a lot slower these days than I was, so I'm glad that I poured the energy into it while I had it.

Hopefully the DS links will satisfy users who, when they see something being created for Poser, start a chorus of "what about DS users". The DS content is already out there, but it seems they are either unaware of how to use Google, or just don't want to use it. I suppose I should have done a "Google Tutorial" long ago...haha. I've had people post a list of what they wanted next when I'd upload a new pose set...which was rather discouraging, like they were ordering a Happy Meal at a drive-tru window....so I didn't want to see that happen to you. I'm familiar with the folks on ShareCG, and know which ones will do that. You surprised me when you offered to do clothing, because that doesn't usually happen on ShareCG....folks get accustomed to receiving, but not giving sometimes...and the fact that you offered to create biblical content caused you to shine like a very bright light. So just keep on shining, and take your time with your projects...it's obvious to me that you are concerned with quality in your work, and that's a good thing. I've slowed down a lot with creating pose sets, and have introduced some unanticipated variety in content to hopefully tap the brake some, and slow folks down a little in their expectations. I will be working on pose sets for use with your biblical robe for Paul, but I'll have to take my time with it, since I tire more easily these days. It will be a pleasure working with the scenes, so thank you again for offering to use your creativity for this purpose :)

Maja

Eager
To make it clear. The "what about DAZ users" chorus doesn't bother me. I don't use DAZ, and I don't intend to change that. It is not possible to create proper working dynamic cloth for DAZ without purchasing Optitex Dev since dynamic cloth in DAZ is proprietary. Optitex handle their pricing if it was a dark secret. I'm not willing to dig into it, and I refuse to support software piracy. Thus any DAZ stuff from me rather is unlikely to appear.

To be able, to import uv-mapped Wavefront Object from any third party software and successful making them dynamic or confirming clothes with Poser built-in tools is the main reason, why I prefer Poser over DAZ. No proprietary file structure needed. I decided on Poser because Smith Micro provides a maximum of freedom with content creation. Smith Micro stimulates creativity. DAZ mostly is a pure content seller not really interested in user creativity. The absence of a useful manual for DAZ increases that impression.

Sorry, if this appears to be pathetic. We are having rainy and foggy weather for about one week, now. Maybe I'm getting the Blues. :rolleyes:

skylab

Esteemed
Hey, that's really nice Maja...it's different, but totally appropriate for the biblical theme. Sometimes you can get "inspiration" from viewing pictures of the clothing, so that's what I was aiming for in providing the reference photos, and looks like you definitely had an "inspiration" with this. I love it :)

I like what you've said about the difference in DS and Poser...Poser is definitely a content and character creation software, and DS is mostly a content use program. I've spent years trying to eliminate people's fears of using Poser, creating tutorials and openly demonstrating that it's not going to jump out and bite people if they try to use the cloth room or the hair room...haha. Inevitably it becomes a battle over render engines, lights and materials...issues of the final render, since DS users are accustomed to ease of use in this area. Once it appears more difficult to get a final render, folks will tend to give up and withdraw back to using DS. Final render was never, and still isn't a focus for me...I leave that to folks who like to pick through all that. My goal has always been some sort of content creation, poses and character faces...and experimenting with hair, cloth, and animation. If I had camped out with rendering, I would have missed so much. I really appreciate the respect you seem to have for Poser and Poser users. It takes patience and talent to master the program, and I have enjoyed that journey over the past 10 years.

I've learned from experience to anticipate the "familiar chorus" when I lean toward Poser, so I try to provide information or links to similar products for DS users to maintain some sense of peace, so that this sort of thing doesn't become a distraction. This type of thing, added to a "rainy day", can definitely make for a "bluesy day". Hope your weather improves and the sun will be shining soon. We had a very rainy spring this year, and while I'm thankful that it kept the temps down, it did make for overcast days sometimes for weeks...so I know about the "gee, gray skies again" feeling.

I have to spend more time resting because of health issues...and I am not by nature a lay around and rest kind of person. I find that it's easier to "turn my brain off" if I'm not at the computer as much....I miss it, but it's what's best for this season. Mostly the only "project" that I'm allowing myself is audio recording of readings from the scriptures, mixed with samples of some of my old keyboard recordings. I get the benefit of the encouragement, and the results can be shared with local friends who need to be hearing it from me as well. I'm attaching a very short sample to this post, should any of you be interested. It goes without saying, I look, and sound, way, WAY younger than I really am....when I entered my fifties years ago, something came up about my age, and my pastor shot to his feet in total disbelief...and so far, that hasn't changed. All of my "normal wear and tear mileage" seems to be on the inside, so I try to do things that are life-filled, to keep young at heart :)

Keep up the great work Maja, and I'll be working on poses, a little at a time :)

Attachments

• John 11- 25,26.zip
    310.2 KB · Views: 224

Maja

Eager
Skylab: lol... I'm not at "war" with DAZ or DAZ users. I simply decided to spend no more time on DAZ. I's my life. ;)

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Poser is definitely a content and character creation software, and DS is mostly a content use program.

I don't know. I do pretty well at the creation side of things in Studio. ;) I'm RE-learning Poser's creation tools, but I am very badly handicapped at the moment by not having access to the litany of Pro-only features that are necessary for creation to be even remotely efficient in Poser.

Both programs do very well for creation - it all just comes down to how an individual user chooses to use the tools. They're both very nice pieces of software, and elegant in their own ways.

I've spent years trying to eliminate people's fears of using Poser, creating tutorials and openly demonstrating that it's not going to jump out and bite people if they try to use the cloth room or the hair room...haha. Inevitably it becomes a battle over render engines, lights and materials...issues of the final render, since DS users are accustomed to ease of use in this area.

You can't force someone to learn something if they don't want to, unfortunately. You also can't convince people to change their minds if they're not open to different viewpoints. I started out with Poser 4 and kept with it until 7, then picked it up again on 10 to get Nataani's conversion done... have 11 standard right now, and probably will be on this version for some time yet.

I am re-learning a lot of the interface and tools that it has... and finding more and more that I'm being crippled on the creation side by the fact that I don't have the Pro version.

Studio is MUCH easier for me to understand, and I pick up new techniques in it a lot easier as well. Poser is very frustrating for me to work with, and at times leaves me literally cursing at my monitor. When that happens, I close it and walk away, because it's time to give it a rest. LOL

But - again, I have to stress - not everyone is willing to listen to different viewpoints, and not everyone wants to learn the other side. Many vendors and freebie makers stick to one program or the other, and that is perfectly okay. But both pieces of software are equally capable of final rendering, artistic output, animation, and content creation. Each program has it's own strengths and weaknesses. It just comes down to how individuals choose to use the tools they have. That's all.

I'm still not comfortable in Poser. I probably never will be. But I'm getting more familiar with the menus and tools now, so I'm going to call that progress. ;)

Hope you're resting like you need to be, Sky, and hope you're doing well. Sorry for being so quiet lately, I've just got a whole lot lumped on my plate right now, so I haven't been posting as often as I usually do.

@Maja - I think the biblical items you're producing are beautifully well done. I don't do a lot of biblical renders myself, but they really are very nice items, and I did download them and install them for a "just in case" in the future. :) Thank you for what you offer to us - it's very kind of you and definitely appreciated.

skylab

Esteemed
Hey Seliah, good to see you. Certainly are correct in that folks are usually not open to change, or even have an awareness that it would be to their benefit and best interest to consider change. I've just found myself in a difficult position sometimes of mediating between the opinions, keeping peace. These days it's increasingly difficult to allow Poser users equal time with discussions and projects, or to create Poser-only content, without the broken record re-playing of why Poser is felt not to be as good as DS, or folks wanting DS content instead of Poser. I've found it to be wearisome and draining at times....I miss the days when this was not such an issue. It hasn't helped my outlook to learn really good folks like Pappy at Rendo have had to go completely out of business due to DAZmania.

As for DS pose work, I've been shocked, after brief use of DS4, at how absolutely simple it is to use Poser format poses in DS...just import the pose and apply it the figure. So like, what's the problem? Why do DS users even need DS versions of poses? That's the part that seems to be like trying to bake a cake, and having a bunch of five year olds in the kitchen, fighting over who gets to lick the bowel, the spoon, or eat the first piece when it's completed. There are many types of Poser content that can import nicely into DS, but DS users, who are convinced that they love that program, aren't using the import features to the best advantage, and due to their outcry for DS content, it has had a significant impact on the 3D community. Frankly, I think it has to do more with the fact that DS is free. If DAZ put a price on the software, if it was priced at the range that their users claim it's worth up against Poser, suddenly the number of users would be impacted, and the playing field would be level again. All of this came about when DS was released free. If Poser happened to be free, which of course it will never be....but if it were, it would change things considerably.

After using DS, and realizing that folks could have been using the content all along with the import feature, I couldn't help but come to the conclusion ..... they want it Free AND ultra-Easy....well....la-Tee-da....haha. Should I hold the bowl and spoon for them while they get what they want? Or would that in some way offend their freedom of choice...hahahaha. Silly me, I should have anticipated in advance that they'd want to wear the bowl on their head, and stick the spoon in their ear.....hahaha....how insensitive of me to miss that....hahahaha.

Can you tell I'm about done with all of this....hahaha. It used to be a fun and creative hobby....now....not so much. I'd prefer this time to be restful, pleasant and peaceful....and having a break from all this has proven to be that, and more.

As always, I do encourage others to learn all they can, and be all they can be, and hopefully to contribute to shining light rather than increasing the darkness.

Time for rest now.