• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

SKYLAB CHAT

skylab

Esteemed
Some have commented about the ark render...the "recipe" for the Noah's ark scene was very simple actually, in terms of content...Noah's Ark, curved valley with Y upscaled, breaking waves with waves dialed down a bit, Kerya's cloudy sky darkened and enlarged some ( I use her skies a lot), and finally Adam's rainbow, with dialed up transparency and light (bottom of download page).

ARK RAINBOW.jpg

Last edited:

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Well it's Sunday, so my day starts early because I'm at the gym from noon 'til 1:00pm, so I have breakfast early . . . like for breakfast. Usually I have it for lunch around 2:00pm. :roflmao:

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Thanks for the link to First Bastion's Breaking Waves. That looks nice, and it imports into Bryce 7 nicely. Hmmmm, though Bryce does a good job with rendering water natively, but it would be nice to have for Poser, which doesn't unless someone creates a very involved shader.

skylab

Esteemed
Spent much of yesterday researching the next project...Cecil B. DeSkylab wanted to get the details accurate before tackling the parting of the Red Sea...haha. It was not such an enormous wall of water as depicted by Hollywood movies, but a combination of locating just the right spot where, when the waters receded in the winds and stood up probably about 30 or 40 feet, the fleeing Israelites crossed over a smooth, raised bar. On either side of the bar were huge, treacherous drop offs, and divers have found the evidence of their pursuers - chariot wheels, horse hooves, human remains - who were swept off of the bar and perished when the waters came back together.

I don't know if this render will come together, but the research alone has been worth the time.

RED SEA TEST.jpg

Terre

Renowned
Sky? Since you are good at researching this stuff I wonder if you can verify something I remember reading as a teen back in the late '70s.
What I read was about a team that was doing a dig on one of the many city mounds in the Holy Land. This particular mound had it's oldest level dated as being 10,000 years old making it the oldest known "city" in the world. Even the oldest Chinese ones are more like 8,000. It had many levels that had been destroyed by either earthquakes OR warfare. One level was very odd. The walls had been pack mud and looked like they were felled by a quake but the wattle and daub buildings inside looked like they had been destroyed by the hand of man. One scientist remembered the the story of Jericho and not only did the approximate date of the level make it the right time but his math showed that the number of attackers was high enough that if they had marched in step around the city as in the story then the vibrations in the ground would have been sufficient to bring down the walls while the more flexible buildings inside remained intact. His belief was that they had found the Biblical Jericho.

Terre

Renowned
Oh, and another thing I came across was an article on a flood in the Fertile Crescent which dropped 9 FEET of silt. The dating on that puts it at about the right time for your image above.

skylab

Esteemed
Hey Terre :) I looked up the information you were seeking, and here's an article with similar information, and also a YouTube video discussing reason for discrepancy in findings had to do with an assumption made during the 1950 excavations regarding a certain type of pottery used for dating the site. The conclusion seems to be that the site is indeed the ruins of Jericho.

Terre

Renowned
Thanks for finding that. I guess what I originally read was about the older dig. One thing that many people prefer to forget is that in the days before literacy was common history was passed on verbally. You end up with history becoming legend becoming myth. Finding some of the historical things behind the stories that made it to the modern day is something I find fascinating.
The Old Testament is Hebrew oral tradition written down. As such it is gong to include some actual history (with some likely altered over the centuries). Those who reject the Biblical accounts are failing to understand human behavior.

Terre

Renowned
Given how good the waves look in the Ark render I'll bet the Parting of the Red Sea will look equally good. :)

skylab

Esteemed
I was searching "water toys", as Seliah put it, for a water plane that had more of a curved effect. Since a fairly thorough search yielded everything but that, decided to try standing the breaking waves up....I want more of a "storm surge" appearance, like coastal waters appear during approaching storms. Something like this is much more difficult than standing two flat planes up for a Hollywood wall of water...which is probably why they did that in the first place. Here's the first draft...the challenge will be lighting, and in the end probably some post work.

RED SEA TEST 2.jpg

For those new to this stuff, Kerya has other great sky backgrounds, worth mentioning.

SUNSETS

RAINBOWS

CLOUDY 1

CLOUDY 2

VERY CLOUDY

Time for a little rest now....have a good evening everyone :)

skylab

Esteemed
In response to an email request for information regarding biblical content, I have updated the old list from the original SKYLAB CHAT, to include more recent additions. I'm attaching a PDF of it to this post, in case it's ever needed, since the new forum does not seem do tables.

Attachments

• BIBLICAL AND MIDDLE EASTERN PROPS AND CLOTHING.pdf
    198.1 KB · Views: 1,010

skylab

Esteemed
If you have not tried to log in to Poserworld in the last few days, you may not be aware of changes they've made. The Poserworld site is now divided into two sections...the "old" and the "new". All lifetime memberships will be honored at the old site, but new models will be under a different agreement. The old site is now archived at this link: Members.Poserworld.com and can be accessed using your old email and password.

The new site will now be located at Poserworld.com , and will require registering again in order to access.

I'm glad at least the old content will still be available at the archived site. There was mention made of some credit toward the new site for members who donated during their time of need, but apparently there are no more lifetime memberships. So far there has been no more mention of the human figure releases they had announced by member email some time back. Anyway, just a heads up for those who may have missed these changes that took place as of the end of April 2016.

And, of course, this means that all the Poserworld section links in the PDF I just posted no longer work, and will have to be looked up again. This makes the second time they've done this.

Last edited: