• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Show Us Your Dawn Renders!

Hornet3d

Wise
If you go down to the woods today.

Flower Power HW.jpg

A selection of plants and flowers from Flinks collections.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Very nicely composited. Flink does such nice plants and such. I need to get some more of his goodies. ;)

Hornet3d

Wise
There are occasions when I either cannot sleep or I feel so off colour that getting out of bed is a struggle. At times like this I have to find something to do that is not too taxing and quiet so that I do not disturb others. One pastime in such times is reading through those 'might be interesting' emails that I never find the time to read in better times and one such email had been in the pile for a little over a month. It was one of those Poser basic emails from Rendo this time headed how to use HDR lighting. I thought I knew how to use it but put this email by as I have found in the past there is a lot more to a given subject than I expect and this was one such case. When using HDR I have always used a dome but this used the background in Poser 12. I was intrigued as I was having one of those days where by body had decided I was having a quiet day I decided to give it ago. I struggled at first but when you do not read the instructions correctly and forget to tick the Cast_Light options you are going to struggle. Anyway this is my first result that looks as though I have it working, no other lights no post work just and HDRI plugged into the background and set up as instructed.

Background HDR HW.jpg

I should add this background is of a night scene hence the subdued nature but I do rather like it. I now need to try a full sun scene to compare.

Miss B

CV-BEE
Looking good Hornet. BTW, I haven't done much rendering in P12, except when beta testing, but if it's set up like P11, the "background" that comes with it is The Construct, which is a dome of sorts. I don't use it, but it seems to be like Bagginsbill's EnvShere, which I do use, EXCEPT it has a floor, which the EnvSphere doesn't have.

Hornet3d

Wise
Looking good Hornet. BTW, I haven't done much rendering in P12, except when beta testing, but if it's set up like P11, the "background" that comes with it is The Construct, which is a dome of sorts. I don't use it, but it seems to be like Bagginsbill's EnvShere, which I do use, EXCEPT it has a floor, which the EnvSphere doesn't have.

I am not sure how the background is set up as but it does not seem to be an EnvSphere I am just using the background in the material room and plugging an enviromentTexture node with the image plugged in and using the mapping and TextireCoordinate nodes for the vectors. The claim is that it gives less noise and brighter highlights than using a dome.

This is the same set up with just a daylight image used in the material.

Background HDR2 HW.jpg

Miss B

CV-BEE
I am not sure how the background is set up as but it does not seem to be an EnvSphere I am just using the background in the material room and plugging an enviromentTexture node with the image plugged in and using the mapping and TextireCoordinate nodes for the vectors. The claim is that it gives less noise and brighter highlights than using a dome.
Ahhhhh,, OK. When P11 first came out, The Construct was set up by default. I hated it, so I set up a new "Startup" scene with just my lights, cameras, and the old "Ground" plane from Poser versions up to P10. That way I could use my EnvSphere whenever I wanted it.

That said, I've never thought to use a HDRi image on the "Background" in the Material Room, mostly because I wasn't sure how the HDRi lighting would work. That may have been improved with P12, as I don't think it worked unless the HDRi was set up with a sphere so the lighting set up could be used. Now I'm going to have to try it in P12 with just the Background, as it seems you're getting good results with it.

OK, I just checked, and P11 DOES have the EnvironmentTexture node, which I never knew it had. Live and learn something new everyday. Thanks for the tidbit Hornet. ;)

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
I recommend using the background node to plug your HDRI maps, instead of using dome props. This used to be rather unstable in P11, but got much better in P12. One added benefit from this is that your lights are no longer blocked by these pesky domes. ^___^

Hornet3d

Wise
One discovery I have made is that Poser can handle .exr images as well as .hdr images which opens up another slew of free images that can be used in Poser.

This render use a .exr file.

Background HDR 5 HW.jpg

Miss B

CV-BEE
That doesn't surprise me, since any renders you create stores an .exr version in the RenderCache folder.

Hornet3d

Wise
That doesn't surprise me, since any renders you create stores an .exr version in the RenderCache folder.

I wasn't aware of that. I went looking for some new HDR images to download and came across a load of free images but when i downloaded them the were on the .exr format. I thought the worse that could happen is that poser would crash but was surprised when it just took it in it's stride.

Thanks for the information of love learning these little bits of extra detail.