• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Show Us Your Dawn Renders!

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
The idea would to be to keep using PhysicalSurface until they fix the white previews. Personally, I find it hard to work with materials if I can't see them. :)

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
I know in DS there's some mats you can't see until you render (or work in Iray preview), might be the same for some things with the new Psr

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
Yes, something like that. Only the native Cycles nodes show while in previews. However, the nodes themselves show previews in the Materials Room. Only the Cycles Surface root node doesn't.

Hornet3d

Wise
Here is the shader built on the PhysicalSurface, there are a few subtle changes some I like others not so much but both would need more work anyway. The big plus with PhysicalSurface is that, as Ken1171 stated, it does not have the solid white previews that PrincipledBSDF has.

New Superfly Skin PHYSur HW.jpg

My aim, as I set out, was to try and get away from the firefly material which had been adjusted towork with Superfly. I also wanted something a lot easier to work with and in that respect both of these achieve the aim but, due mainly to the solid white previews, I have decided to work on the PhysicalSurface

Hornet3d

Wise
I know in DS there's some mats you can't see until you render (or work in Iray preview), might be the same for some things with the new Psr

I have had a similar issue in Poser, mainly hair but some clothes, as you say once your render the preview is fine. If I use the PrincipledBSDF the prieview shows the area as solid white, it renders as it should but the preview only ever show solid white.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
Here is the shader built on the PhysicalSurface, there are a few subtle changes some I like others not so much but both would need more work anyway. The big plus with PhysicalSurface is that, as Ken1171 stated, it does not have the solid white previews that PrincipledBSDF has.

My aim, as I set out, was to try and get away from the firefly material which had been adjusted towork with Superfly. I also wanted something a lot easier to work with and in that respect both of these achieve the aim but, due mainly to the solid white previews, I have decided to work on the PhysicalSurface

Another advantage of Physical Surface is that it doesn't need all the extra nodes required by Cycles Surface. That saves a lot of extra works.

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
The eyes look better than the last one. Not sure about the teeth? they look like they are glowing where it should be darker?

Hornet3d

Wise
I don't like the way the expression turned out but the main point is that the glowing teeth are now gone. I am now at the point that I am very close to the results I used to get with the firefly a materials, adjusted for superfly, but the major difference is that the nodes have dropped from 20 to 30 to just 3, a PhysicalSurface, image map for color and another image map for bump. The later setup is far more conducive to playing with the settings than the mass of nodes from before. Here all the settings are on one panel where before it was a major effort moving nodes so you could see what was connected to what before any changes could be made.

Physical Surface rev 3 HW.jpg

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Here all the settings are on one panel where before it was a major effort moving nodes so you could see what was connected to what before any changes could be made.
Just as an aside, Structure has a freebie script called Node Tidier I've been using for a while, and he just updated it for Python 3 for use in P12. You can find it in his Freestuff over at Renderosity.

Miss B

CV-BEE
You're welcome Hornet, and it has a few options, so you can choose how you want the nodes to display.

Hornet3d

Wise
So I am at a point where I am happy I have a skin shader that looks as good as it did using the old adapted firefly materials which is also easy to change to adapt to a given scene. Much easier now to make the skin look sweaty and things like that.

Physical Surface Fin HW.jpg

Hornet3d

Wise
So the last render of the WIP sequence, this time there is not change in the skin shader but the lights have been removed and the subject is lit purely from the Envdome.

PSurface Fin in Use.jpg

No major change but certainly the reflections in the eyes are stronger and less confusing as the reflection of the lights are gone.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
I would like to take this opportunity to personally THANK and acknowledge Chris, Lisa and Paul for everything they did for me in all these years. Many of you may already know - I wouldn't have stayed in this market if not for HW opening doors back in 2013, where Dawn has become my one and only figure ever since. I greatly enjoy the peaceful environment we have at these forums, which was also a break from my previous experience. I guess most of us needed that, and that was all thanks to HW. At least to me, this was a game-changer. A big one.

Dawn is the best thing that has happened to me since V4, and in my store and gallery she has taken all possible shapes and proportions I could conceive, and it just works. I have done with Dawn all of what had previously failed with V4, and it has been a BLAST.

At first, I didn't believe Dawn could replace V4, with all the huge content library I had for her. It took a little while until the SE version came out, and that's when things started to become clear to me. Sooner than I thought, I was no longer loading V4 at all. As a content creator, V4 was lame in comparison, filled with limitations from her legacy rigging and capabilities. That's when I became a believer. As an artist, Dawn gave me the freedom I needed to express all kinds of crazy characters and styles I always wanted to make. She really made me a happy camper, more than I was with V4.

Who could imagine I would ever support DAZ Studio? HW has inspired me to look beyond prejudice, where understanding the goods and bads of both sides has helped me become a more complete artist and content creator. I owe Chris, Lisa and Paul for all this. HW has become a landmark in my timeline, where I can clearly see a different me "before and after" they have stepped in. They have changed things for the better. That's the kind of people they are. The kind of people who wanted this market to return to its roots of being from artists to artists, and I think they have succeeded here.

Needless to say, everybody has recognized the quality of the HW animals - even some who wouldn't like to admit it, but did it anyway in the end. I am not into animals, but I couldn't help buying some of them anyway, because they are awesome. Maybe some people don't quite realize how much work it takes to support every product in both platforms - even I have failed to do that sometimes. Those programs have become so incompatible, and it's so HARD to learn the other side, that looking at these contents working seamlessly and NATIVELY in Poser and DS is like magic - and we don't see much of it elsewhere. It has become another HW landmark, even if people may not realize how hard and rare it is.

This is a unique place, and the HW crew is a unique bunch for sure. I can't thank them enough for the ride. :love::beehive::bee:

Hornet3d

Wise
I am so glad you stayed
I would like to take this opportunity to personally THANK and acknowledge Chris, Lisa and Paul for everything they did for me in all these years. Many of you may already know - I wouldn't have stayed in this market if not for HW opening doors back in 2013, where Dawn has become my one and only figure ever since. I greatly enjoy the peaceful environment we have at these forums, which was also a break from my previous experience. I guess most of us needed that, and that was all thanks to HW. At least to me, this was a game-changer. A big one.

Dawn is the best thing that has happened to me since V4, and in my store and gallery she has taken all possible shapes and proportions I could conceive, and it just works. I have done with Dawn all of what had previously failed with V4, and it has been a BLAST.

At first, I didn't believe Dawn could replace V4, with all the huge content library I had for her. It took a little while until the SE version came out, and that's when things started to become clear to me. Sooner than I thought, I was no longer loading V4 at all. As a content creator, V4 was lame in comparison, filled with limitations from her legacy rigging and capabilities. That's when I became a believer. As an artist, Dawn gave me the freedom I needed to express all kinds of crazy characters and styles I always wanted to make. She really made me a happy camper, more than I was with V4.

Who could imagine I would ever support DAZ Studio? HW has inspired me to look beyond prejudice, where understanding the goods and bads of both sides has helped me become a more complete artist and content creator. I owe Chris, Lisa and Paul for all this. HW has become a landmark in my timeline, where I can clearly see a different me "before and after" they have stepped in. They have changed things for the better. That's the kind of people they are. The kind of people who wanted this market to return to its roots of being from artists to artists, and I think they have succeeded here.

Needless to say, everybody has recognized the quality of the HW animals - even some who wouldn't like to admit it, but did it anyway in the end. I am not into animals, but I couldn't help buying some of them anyway, because they are awesome. Maybe some people don't quite realize how much work it takes to support every product in both platforms - even I have failed to do that sometimes. Those programs have become so incompatible, and it's so HARD to learn the other side, that looking at these contents working seamlessly and NATIVELY in Poser and DS is like magic - and we don't see much of it elsewhere. It has become another HW landmark, even if people may not realize how hard and rare it is.

This is a unique place, and the HW crew is a unique bunch for sure. I can't thank them enough for the ride. :love::beehive::bee:

I second that.

I am so glad you stayed in the market, it would have been a sad loss to the whole 3d community had it have been otherwise. With the exception of the fact that is was DawnSE rather than the original Dawn I had a similar ride, in my case I am just a user, but I was equally close to giving up 3D as a hobby. The same community that had been so helpful and supportive in my earlier years seem to had disappeared to be replaced with one of flame wars and people that either had a hidden agenda or just loved to cause conflict. Many of those that had helped me, and I respected, left the community or changed to lurk mode rather than taking an active part. DawnSE was an improvement for me after using V4 for so long but it was the HiveWire3D community that was the real game changer. Like you I greatly enjoy the peaceful, helpful and welcoming nature here, a place where both Poser and DS can be discussed in an adult manner that seems impossible else where.

Long may it continue and I hope many more will come join the group here and see what a great place to be and to explore.

Miss B

CV-BEE
I couldn't have said it better @Ken1171 and @Hornet3d! My first 3D community was Renderosity, mostly because I started in 3D with Bryce 4, and Renderosity was the only forum I could find which had folks using Bryce back then. I didn't start playing in Poser 5 until 4 1/2 years later. As I've said many times, I'm a landscape artist at heart, so using Bryce, and to some extent, Terragen, was all I was considering back then. Then a friend talked me into checking out the DAZ3D site, as she started with Poser 4, and said they had a lot of scenic, landscape products I could use in Poser.

I spent a lot of years at DAZ, and even liked the idea of Genesis 1 and 2 for DS 3 Advanced, but by the time Genesis 3 came out, I had had enough, and went back to using Poser. I welcomed HiveWire as my new 3D community back in 2013, mostly because I was ready for a new non-Genesis character, and was a huuuuge fan of Lisa's wonderful flower/plant goodies, as well as Ken's wonderful birds. It just made sense to me to come here to HW, and I haven't been sorry for a single second that I made that move. :)

Hornet3d

Wise
I couldn't have said it better @Ken1171 and @Hornet3d! My first 3D community was Renderosity, mostly because I started in 3D with Bryce 4, and Renderosity was the only forum I could find which had folks using Bryce back then. I didn't start playing in Poser 5 until 4 1/2 years later. As I've said many times, I'm a landscape artist at heart, so using Bryce, and to some extent, Terragen, was all I was considering back then. Then a friend talked me into checking out the DAZ3D site, as she started with Poser 4, and said they had a lot of scenic, landscape products I could use in Poser.

I spent a lot of years at DAZ, and even liked the idea of Genesis 1 and 2 for DS 3 Advanced, but by the time Genesis 3 came out, I had had enough, and went back to using Poser. I welcomed HiveWire as my new 3D community back in 2013, mostly because I was ready for a new non-Genesis character, and was a huuuuge fan of Lisa's wonderful flower/plant goodies, as well as Ken's wonderful birds. It just made sense to me to come here to HW, and I haven't been sorry for a single second that I made that move. :)
and we have been loving your input ever since.