• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Show Us Your Dawn Renders!

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
J.I. Dawn.

JI_Jane_1040.jpg

Hornet3d

Wise
Over in the 'I just wanted to post and image thread' I am lucky enough to get a a lot of feedback to the images I post. One of those that often responds is Carey and he has offered a lot on useful information over the years. Recently he asked what superfly mode I was using, it was a great question, if only I had a good answer. I did not have the first clue what the nodes were despite using supefly for all my renders for a few years now. In his normal helpful manner Carey was happy to take the time and trouble to explain about nodes and so it was I found the load preset button at the bottom left corner on the render settings screen. I was slight overwhelmed with the choices but had a play with a few of them.

This render uses Ultra Branched is the input, it takes a while but then any render will take a while with hair (Lucy Hair by Prae) of this nature.

Caoimhe Lucy Hair HW.jpg

I am really pleased with hits and I already have some ideas for the other inputs for some of my scenes.

I love it when I learn more about 3D art and a big thank you to Carey for expanding my horizons.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
You can also save your own settings Hornet, if you come up with a set you like for all, or at least most, of your renders. That's always helpful if you tweak the default settings Poser provides.

Hornet3d

Wise
You can also save your own settings Hornet, if you come up with a set you like for all, or at least most, of your renders. That's always helpful if you tweak the default settings Poser provides.

Thank you for the information it is something I have never done with the superfly as I did not understand it enough to know what I was changing. Having so default sets is a good starting point and, having tried each of the input defaults there are a couple that I like but will probably need few tweaks. Poser 12 has a couple more default presets now that it includes adaptive sampling.

Miss B

CV-BEE
Yes, trying them all out will give you an idea of what you're looking for, and then you can check out what those particular settings are, and then transfer them to another settings group to see if it does what you want, only better.

Hornet3d

Wise
Yes, trying them all out will give you an idea of what you're looking for, and then you can check out what those particular settings are, and then transfer them to another settings group to see if it does what you want, only better.

There were certainly a couple that I cannot see me using as I disliked the results but the rest I would use either in default form or after a few changes.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
Which means 75% of the render time is raytracing over hair transparency. Which means the more screen space the hair takes, the longer the render. Big hair comes at a cost in renders. I guess that was my point. :)

Miss B

CV-BEE
That's why I prefer not to do closeup renders when my character(s) have big hair. I didn't realize it was quite that much of a difference, so thanks for checking that out Hornet.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
There are cases where disabling raytracing on the hair is perfectly acceptable, depending on the hair. Not the case here, though, but I keep an eye on this since it can dramatically affect render times. If not for the hair over the forehead area in this particular case, I would think it's perfectly fine to disable raytracing on the hair.

One workaround could be to first render without hair raytracing, and then do an area render with hair raytracing only over the forehead to get the proper shading, and then combine the two. I think area render is not working properly in P12 at the moment, but they will fix it eventually.

Miss B

CV-BEE
I can see your point, as not all hair is shaped with so much of it covering that much of the forehead.

I also like the idea of doing the two renders, as I've done things like that as well, though not for the same reason.

Hornet3d

Wise
It was interesting doing the two renders, I knew that the hair was taking a large amount of the render time from just watching it cook but I was surprised at just how much. I have tended to stay clear of such large hair styles but I can remember way back in the teen years of being fascinated by a sci-fi heroine with a similar hair style so I guess I have a soft spot for such and I tend to return to such a style on occasions. In most cases I tend to drop the style as many such styles has hair that does not show curves but a series of kinks where the hair curls. I am quite impressed with this one in that respect.

Compared with some of my renders, particularly a few years ago on a less powerful machine, two hours is not a massive problem but then I am not trying to make a living from this. It is only since Poser 12 that I have been able my GPU stable enough to do renders so it is a bit of swings and roundabouts.

Thanks for the suggestions though, as you say if it was not for the forehead area I think you could get away with the ray tracing. I am certainly going to look more closely at this in the future and the twin render certainly has merit.

KageRyu

Lost Mad Soul
Contributing Artist
If you use a lot of texture layer overlays and transparencies those will start to increase render times as well (things like decals, logos, tattoos, grunge, etc...) - at least these did in Poser 7-2014