• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Show Us Your Dawn Renders!

parkdalegardener

Adventurous
There are cases where disabling raytracing on the hair is perfectly acceptable, depending on the hair. Not the case here, though, but I keep an eye on this since it can dramatically affect render times. If not for the hair over the forehead area in this particular case, I would think it's perfectly fine to disable raytracing on the hair.

One workaround could be to first render without hair raytracing, and then do an area render with hair raytracing only over the forehead to get the proper shading, and then combine the two. I think area render is not working properly in P12 at the moment, but they will fix it eventually.
They seem to have fixed area render. Works for me in the pose room now as well which it hadn't since sometime in P11

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
They seem to have fixed area render. Works for me in the pose room now as well which it hadn't since sometime in P11

The part that doesn't work is when doing an area render in the render tab, it will not preserve the previous render. It turns black instead, so we cannot fix part of a render by redoing just part of it.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
The part that doesn't work is when doing an area render in the render tab, it will not preserve the previous render. It turns black instead, so we cannot fix part of a render by redoing just part of it.
Uh Oh! o_O

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
The new shadow catcher is kind of partially working, and Rendo is working on it. Works good for SF simple transparent background over the default ground, but fails when rendering with HDRI, which is the main reason it exists for. They will fix it eventually. Works fine with FF, though.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
Here's an automation tool I am making for Poser 12 called the "Lock Master". It automates the process of freezing body parts so they are not affected by pose presets or animations. We can use this to combine a partial pose with another one, basically creating a new one. In other cases you may just want to preserve a high heeled feet pose to avoid it being undone by pose presets - this is very common in Poser. Take a look on the demonstration video I have recorded to showcase how it works.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
I think you've just answered a lot of prayers Ken. I know, I for one, will definitely be making good use of it when I eventually get Poser 12. ;)

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
Here's another automation tool I am working on. The SkinEdit tool for Poser 12 brings a new way of dealing with figure materials editing, reducing the amount of work with automations. Instead of working directly with individual MAT zones, it deals with 5 major global groups: Skin, Eyes, Inner Mouth, Nails, and Eyelashes. These material groups are common across most figures, so we edit materials from different figures in a unified workflow, as if they were the same. It allows 1-click do it all, and also allows per-material group editing and automations. I demonstrate its use in this video tutorial.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
I haven't checked it out yet, but sounds like it's going to be another goodie. ;)

SkinEdit was originally meant for automating working with old Firefly materials that don't work with Superfly. There is a 1-click solution, and then a per-area editing in a unified workflow that makes working with different figures look pretty much the same when it comes to materials. It abstracts the differences in MAT zones, where we only think of skin, eyes, nails, inner mouth and lashes. Let the tool manage the figure differences, making a unified workflow for all of them. For each of these 5 groups, you work with all MAT zones as if they were only 1. When testing this on different figures, that's when I first noticed LF is the only figure I have ever seen that has no eye lacrimals, which was curious. Did they forget to add them?

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
Not sure. I never noticed they were missing.

Well, she has lacrimals, but they are part of the inner eyes, which is kind of odd. Never seen this before. Most figures have that on its own MAT zone. Maybe I haven't noticed this before because I don't use that figure, and only noticed when testing this tool.

I am blown away by this, can't wait for it to become available.

Thanks, Hornet! It's a helping hand for all materials made pre-P11, like most of the ones for Dawn, and all of the ones I have for V4. Firefly materials usually come with a zillion nodes, making the figure look horrible in Superfly. I have spent so much time trying to fix those in renders, but now it's just 1-click to look good in Superfly.

The Texture Transformer tool that converts V4 texture for Dawn also tends to generate garbage material presets, so I can use SkinEdit to salvage those as well, making them more usable in less time.

Hornet3d

Wise
Well, she has lacrimals, but they are part of the inner eyes, which is kind of odd. Never seen this before. Most figures have that on its own MAT zone. Maybe I haven't noticed this before because I don't use that figure, and only noticed when testing this tool.

Thanks, Hornet! It's a helping hand for all materials made pre-P11, like most of the ones for Dawn, and all of the ones I have for V4. Firefly materials usually come with a zillion nodes, making the figure look horrible in Superfly. I have spent so much time trying to fix those in renders, but now it's just 1-click to look good in Superfly.

The Texture Transformer tool that converts V4 texture for Dawn also tends to generate garbage material presets, so I can use SkinEdit to salvage those as well, making them more usable in less time.

The big plus for me is it keeps the texture maps from the present skin a truly amazing trick in my eyes and helps where you are not using the figure's default maps.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
The big plus for me is it keeps the texture maps from the present skin a truly amazing trick in my eyes and helps where you are not using the figure's default maps.

Oh yes, first it digs in to find the existing texture maps, then remove everything else, and figure out where these maps were supposed to be connected to. It basically rebuilds the existing shader while preserving the texture maps. Then it's ready to apply my presets, rewiring the nodes and setting my preferred values. It's a 3-tier process operating over entire groups of material zones. I used to do this by hand every time, but now it's a 1-click starter. From that point on, editing is so much easier because we start from something that already works with Superfly.

parkdalegardener

Adventurous
How's updating the Scatter tool for P12 doing? I see you are working on lots of new stuff, but I would like to be able to run just one Poser version at a time in order to use what I've already purchased. So many scripts lie broken at the feet of progress. It's becoming disheartening.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
How's updating the Scatter tool for P12 doing?

Thanks for asking! I've got most of the functionality working, but differences in Python 3 have required rethinking the way I did the scene objects management, so I am having to redo this part from scratch. That's some of the most complex parts of the program, and it's taking a little longer. :)

Hornet3d

Wise
So when I started with Superfly my first rendered figures had jet black skin and ghostly whites eyes, turning to the forums it was clear that the problem was using a firefly render that was not liked by Superfly. The solution was to run it through Ezskin3 which was magical but the down side was the resulting materials were a mass of nodes many with dotted lines showing Superfly had an issues with them. I gave up trying to clean up the materials and so they have remained ever since.

With the launch of Poser 12 caisson started a thread over at Rendo - 'Principled BSDF' - some examples that had me fascinated.

So now a WIP, the old materials base have been changed, a Principled BSDF shader node plugged into a CyclesSurface root with an image map plugged into the base Color input and a Cycles vector node of Bump plugged into the Normal input with the bump map image mapped plugged into the height input. That's it, five boxes and this is the result.

Superfly 12 skin HW.jpg

So it can be improved upon but at least now I have an idea of what does what, even if I do not know the how, and I have such few nodes to work with I am not overwhelmed to the point I am discouraged to play. The only downside I have at present is that the materials are shown as white in the preview window.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
Did you compare what we get from "Principled BSDF" and "Physical Surface" with the same diffuse, bump and normal maps? Chances are you could get more or less the same results with Physical Surface. It would be much simpler to set up, and we don't get solid white previews. I would like to see a comparison to justify the extra work to use "Principled BSDF".

Hornet3d

Wise
Did you compare what we get from "Principled BSDF" and "Physical Surface" with the same diffuse, bump and normal maps? Chances are you could get more or less the same results with Physical Surface. It would be much simpler to set up, and we don't get solid white previews. I would like to see a comparison to justify the extra work to use "Principled BSDF".

I am new to this so it was the thread that prompted me to give a new shader a go, so the answer is no I did not do a comparison but give me a while and I will.