• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Show Us Your Dawn Renders!

Hornet3d

Wise
Dark Vision

Dark Vision.jpg

Hair - Catarina Hair for Le Femme and More by RPublishing and Afrodite-Ohki

Dress - Vampiress Outfit for V4 and Dawn by Jonnte

Necklace - Vampiress Jewelry by Jonnte

unreal

Noteworthy
Really going through the Blender 2.9x sculpting tools. OMG the sculpt RT cloth simulator is wild! Also making good use of the boundary tool.

Reference/Release Notes/2.91/Sculpt - Blender Developer Wiki

I'm think of writing another add-on. This one for sculpting. There is a distinct lack of "pinning" verts in sculpting. There is masking but there's no way to just pin a vert. In edit it's possible by just hiding a vert. It works but blender doesn't have a hide stack. So you can't unhide last. To mask from edit selection, you have to make a vert group then convert the vert group to a mask. There's an addon that does that (and more) but I only need it to do that. You can automask all boundary edges but not a selection. It's crucial when you want one edge pinned (ie: eyelashes to eyelids) but want to move the rest of the mesh around. The vert-group to mask is also handy for pinning in edit. Additional vert groups are ignored by Poser when applying FBM.

Hornet3d

Wise
Which skin? It looks really good. Superfly?
The skin is a blended skin with the base being the Master Skin Resource 7 for Dawn by 3Dream and then some other such skins multilayered over it.

Thing is, this is the same skin I have used for my character for years, the difference here was I used the Ultra Branched SSS preset in Superfly which I have not used before.

unreal

Noteworthy
The skin is a blended skin with the base being the Master Skin Resource 7 for Dawn by 3Dream and then some other such skins multilayered over it.

Thing is, this is the same skin I have used for my character for years, the difference here was I used the Ultra Branched SSS preset in Superfly which I have not used before.
Nice, but that must have had a brutal render time. I've used Ultra once. Overnight.

A skin shader you made yourself, then? I'm finding a PBR shader sketched out by BB in another thread to a question by AO renders very fast and gives 95-99% the result of "best" skin shaders at a gain of several of order of magnitude faster render times.

I've been using the Master Resource with a PBR shader. I was just about to try layering as well to get a little "character" in it.

Hornet3d

Wise
Nice, but that must have had a brutal render time. I've used Ultra once. Overnight.

A skin shader you made yourself, then? I'm finding a PBR shader sketched out by BB in another thread to a question by AO renders very fast and gives 95-99% the result of "best" skin shaders at a gain of several of order of magnitude faster render times.

I've been using the Master Resource with a PBR shader. I was just about to try layering as well to get a little "character" in it.

That was what I was expecting, I started it to see if I could get an idea of the render time and was surprised who quickly it built up so I let it run.

Total time was just over the hour but that has a lot to do with the fact that the background is pure black so it flew through that but I was still surprised how quickly it rendered the hair.

unreal

Noteworthy
That was what I was expecting, I started it to see if I could get an idea of the render time and was surprised who quickly it built up so I let it run.

Total time was just over the hour but that has a lot to do with the fact that the background is pure black so it flew through that but I was still surprised how quickly it rendered the hair.
I find AO hair renders reasonably fast. I really like OOT hair textures but they're most G8 stuff now. Also, the render times are long. But really good.

Where you using GPU or CPU? I find my GPU renders are off (Radeon Pro Vega 64 16 GB). But my CPU are good (18 Xeon cores). Hair made me use much smaller bucket sizes. I try to divide the area of the longest to render (usually hair), by 18, so all cores are working on it at the same time. I actually like progressive renders better. Only 2 passes and I have an idea how things are looking :)

unreal

Noteworthy
This is more of the "doll" Dawn character I'm making to familiarize myself with Dawn. More stylized than realistic (If I want real, I go outside :D )

This time through, I actually made a bunch of little face morphs (like the epileptic fold). Which really made me learned about blender sculpting and the joys of using vert groups to make masks with a super useful add-on. I also got some use of my own add-on by combining morphs in Poser, then exporting to Blender and changing it back to unimesh for more sculpting.

That's really the point of the exercise: to learn and/or write tools :)

A key thing I wanted with the eye morphs was for them to NOT not adversely affect any of the eye movement. I also made various nose, lip, cheek, and jaw morphs (23 in total). That I could spin in Poser to combine them into this final character. Then I exported that again to Blender to unimesh them into a single character morph. Not activated is an eyelash morph which takes a the curl out.

There's also a cornea morph that makes the cornea just cover the iris where I can apply a liquid shader with the correct IOR. For the skin, the bump, SSS, specular are all the same texture run through some simple math.

The skin is PSR using the shader setup BB detailed in another thread. The skin is a merchant resource blended with the default dawn.

One of the ghostship superfly studio light setups. Superfly: high SSS preset. (for the number geeks: 18 core Xeon, no GPU; maybe 15 minutes)

I need a better hair shader. I think there's another BB tutorial with a nice shader setup for hair. But now.... dinner :p

Untitled 2.jpg

unreal

Noteworthy
Ohhhh, she's a cutie. :)
thx! :)
Since this, I've fixed her brows to get rid of the scowl. This weekend's project, the body. I have to get used to Dawn's rigging.

I tried the BB hair shader. The hair texture looks good but I can't get this hair model to look anything that what it is (flat). I think my transmap is not up to it.

This is one area where I just can't get Poser looking as good as ds (iray) renders. I'm a bit jealous of all the nice hair g8 has. Which used to bother me more than it does now. Now, I figure I'll just have to learn and make my own. I figure the lack of good results is my own ignorance :D

Up until the devs finish that "make art" button.

unreal

Noteworthy
More sculpting. Learning a lot. I'm sure it's stuff that long time digital sculptors know. For instance, sculpting the face is not as easy as I thought. Aside from learning some arcane techniques (in blender) that allow you to manipulate the mesh like skin, I found that there's a lot to pay attention to with the underlying edge loops. Especially where expression morphs are concerned.

I had to go back and re-sculpt the face so that the smile morph produced something that didn't look like a horrible rictus. Turns out you have to pay attention to the lines that are going to be activated (in lieu of actual muscle). Who knew? O.O

I'm liking how she's coming along. This is the 4th version. Finally a version that friggin' smiles!

Untitled.jpg

unreal

Noteworthy
Another one. Wide angle of the shot from before. I'm still working on her. I quickly tossed together a t-shirt and skirt in Blender. Dynamic, of course, since that requires the least effort :)

This character is meant for fairies and such (skinny doll things). But I couldn't find a fairy outfit handy. I have plenty of stuff for gen4 and aiko (my fave character). But I have very little for Dawn. And my bank is reserved for the new Dawn. Thus the dynamics :D

The pavers lack texture since Superfly can't do micro-displacement (as far as I know). Background is obviously EZDome (1.7). The EZSun. On my mac, I can no longer see the crosshairs for positioning, so I just relied on it's automation (which works). Of course, the shadow catcher doesn't work with Superfly.

And that got me on a quest. For some reason, I recall a BB Superfly shadow catcher shader concept. I searched and couldn't find it. And I know for sure that I did a bunch of tests 2 years ago, with that very thing. Now I can find no images or references to it. Oddly, the Poser 12 docs talk about a shadow catcher in Superfly. Yet, not. Bit of a corner of Lisa's cherry tree (which I've always loved).

Tricky to get foreground colors to match the HDRI image. They don't, really. And there's lots of fudging. No postwork, though :)

Untitled 3.jpg

parkdalegardener

Adventurous
If you are using the P12 Background node to set up your HDRI lighting then a round ground plane set "Shadow_catch_only" will do the trick. There were issues in P11.

As you are using ezDome then there is a solution there as well. Snarlly posted a web video on using the ezDome shadow catcher in P11 and P12 though I don't know if I can post the link.

unreal

Noteworthy
If you are using the P12 Background node to set up your HDRI lighting then a round ground plane set "Shadow_catch_only" will do the trick. There were issues in P11.

As you are using ezDome then there is a solution there as well. Snarlly posted a web video on using the ezDome shadow catcher in P11 and P12 though I don't know if I can post the link.
Poser 12.0.757, iMac Pro, 2.3 GHz 18-Core Intel Xeon W, 128 GB 2666 MHz DDR4, Radeon Pro Vega 64 16 GB

What am I doing wrong?

Screen Shot 2022-04-14 at 11.13.01 PM.jpg
1.jpg

Firefly with EZDome 1.7 and shadow catcher.

Screen Shot 2022-04-14 at 11.13.15 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-04-14 at 11.13.50 PM.jpg

Superfly with EZDome 1.7 and shadow catcher.

Here's a weird experience. Same shaders. No change in setup or lighting or render settings. What I've done is load and delete a lot of OBJs, rigged them, then deleted them. No change to the scene. I start getting lines at the actor seams. But only after a while.
Untitled 6.jpg
2.jpg

The shader uses physical surface root. Once it starts happening, it keeps happening. If I load another skin shader, it doesn't happen. But with this shader it does but not at first. If I recreate the shader from scratch, it stops happening. I've never seen anything like it. Something about the PSR root? I dunno. The only thing I know is jack.

Annoyed. Tired. (rigging stuff is soooo not fun in Poser. Not for *me*) Shower, bed, book :)

unreal

Noteworthy

Tried and not working for superfly. Regardless of how I try. And yet, I'm pretty sure in Poser 11 days, I did this.