• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Show Us Your Dawn Renders!

MEC4D

Zbrushing through the topology
Contributing Artist
I'm taking it the rig has the advantage that head scales affect it. And, I suppose, depending on the morphs, various scaling the rig parts can go a long way. Then, I suppose one could supplement it with some JCM's (er, SRM's - Supplemental Rig Morphs?)

I found that LaFemme worked that way (her part scales actually worked). Although the control chips had to be moved by hand.
That is all possible , there is many ways you can approach it, if you scale the head the rest will go with it, what I was talking early are more about extreme shapes or shapes that are completely in a different 3D space and adjusting the rigging to shape will move the rig into the right places so very versatile and without limitation , and if anything need adjustment that got broken , then we still have JCMs to fix that as last resources .

unreal

Noteworthy
That is all possible , there is many ways you can approach it, if you scale the head the rest will go with it, what I was talking early are more about extreme shapes or shapes that are completely in a different 3D space and adjusting the rigging to shape will move the rig into the right places so very versatile and without limitation , and if anything need adjustment that got broken , then we still have JCMs to fix that as last resources .
Right. The rig is made of bone-like things: chained vectors with an origin and rotations. All attributes of which can be changed, without having to change the weighting.

I assume that keeping the verts in more of less the same relative position makes it easier. By example, I mean that if the the line of vectors where the upper and lower touch are kept still touching even thought the mouth is distorted by making a muzzle, the the mouth rig parts (assuming their origins and lengths are adjusted), would still move the mouth pretty well. For faces that are close to human, the rig probably doesn't have to change much or at all.

I'm excited to play with it. I wanna see what can be done.

Roberta

Eager
Walking in the rain:) Go see what I used HERE
DawnSuPonticello_web.jpg

MEC4D

Contributing Artist
Right. The rig is made of bone-like things: chained vectors with an origin and rotations. All attributes of which can be changed, without having to change the weighting.

I assume that keeping the verts in more of less the same relative position makes it easier. By example, I mean that if the the line of vectors where the upper and lower touch are kept still touching even thought the mouth is distorted by making a muzzle, the the mouth rig parts (assuming their origins and lengths are adjusted), would still move the mouth pretty well. For faces that are close to human, the rig probably doesn't have to change much or at all.

I'm excited to play with it. I wanna see what can be done.
The face rigging has a regions for each bone , if the vertex are moved and cross the other region of the bone in the 3D space , there will be issue , adjusting the bone back to the original position will helps restore it as the weight maps will be intact , or if someone can't do that a JCM can help to make the proper correction but I would not recommend .

Edit: I forgot to push the "post reply " button yesterday .. I got distracted

MEC4D

Contributing Artist
The only Cafe de L'Homme I remember was with the view on Eiffel Tower ..
I guess this one is the Man's Cafe as title said with cool LEDs and sxth , looks like they have a great time
I like how you setup the floor surface .. it add the extra pop in the monochrome room .

seachnasaigh

Energetic
Thank you, @MEC4D and @Miss B :) This is part of an interior I made for Stonemason's Urban Future 3 building set. It has a BladeRunner feel to it. The floor uses three similar -but different- marble JPGs, scrambled by an RGB map so that the marbling doesn't carry over into adjacent floor tiles. I *think* this MAT might be in my construct material sampler pack.

octagonal tiles w RGB discriminator.jpg

Outside shots of the cafe':

looking into cafe' from deck.jpg

Cafe' L'Homme close pano.jpg

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
The material setup is looking good, so thanks for posting it. I have the Construct Environment Material Sampler Pack, so will be checking it out for sure. :)

unreal

Noteworthy
You mean the octagonal floor tiles? It's originally a Firefly shader; plug the image map 5 node (currently driving bump) into displacement. I had to omit that for Superfly because Superfly doesn't do micropoly displacement (yet).
Cool.

Superfly still doesn't? I thought cycles did, and for a while now.

This looks good. I wouldn't think that the tile necessarily needs displacement for the tiles from this camera distance.

MEC4D

Contributing Artist
Cool.

Superfly still doesn't? I thought cycles did, and for a while now.

This looks good. I wouldn't think that the tile necessarily needs displacement for the tiles from this camera distance.
I do agree, bump maps all are you need here
we still waiting for the micro displacement .. hopefully sooner than later

MEC4D

Contributing Artist
Thank you, @MEC4D and @Miss B :) This is part of an interior I made for Stonemason's Urban Future 3 building set. It has a BladeRunner feel to it. The floor uses three similar -but different- marble JPGs, scrambled by an RGB map so that the marbling doesn't carry over into adjacent floor tiles. I *think* this MAT might be in my construct material sampler pack.

View attachment 72957

Outside shots of the cafe':

View attachment 72958

View attachment 72959
Nice shader setup , thanks for sharing ! I don't have that set .. but looks good outside too in your render as you said very Blade Runner style /5th Element

MEC4D

Contributing Artist
If there's any poser programmers lurking here. Sooner, please :)

(right after unimesh)
They know already .. that was my first request almost 2 years ago , but they fixed other things I asked for , also very important !
CyclesX engine anybody ? with eevee preview style ?

unreal

Noteworthy
They know already .. that was my first request almost 2 years ago , but they fixed other things I asked for , also very important !
CyclesX engine anybody ? with eevee preview style ?
Yes, please.

And a pony.

Place your bets here on the length of the Poser feature request list. My guess is 1,734 distinct feature requests. Not counting bug fixes or GUI changes. With bug fixes and GIUI changes I guess 2,987,251. Give or take 2,987,251.

unreal

Noteworthy
In waiting for Dawn2, I thought I'd play with Dawn2 - 1.

I'm working on recreating (porting?) an LF character I made ages ago. A project!

Untitled 10.jpg

• Figure: Dawn. I'm not sure which one. Long ago I purchased Dawn SE at HW store. I was away and my runtimes are elderly. So this is the Dawn I found in one of them. Might be the one shipping with Poser when I updated it. GUI claims to be SE but I have my doubts. OBJ is simply Dawn.obj.

• The face (which is what I'm working on) is completely sculpted in Blender. It's been a fun learning experience. And led me to find a bug in the Blender 3.x OBJ exporter, which they're fixing now. It affects Blender's ability to make figure FBMs for Poser. (note: 2.9x works; completely different OBJ exporter code). A youngish character; was actually one of a group done for a specific project back then.

• Texture is Alexa. Renders quickly and nicely. Am I wrong in that Dawn and Dawn SE have slightly different uv maps? I've been experiencing weirdness there. Some are messed up. And some mats are black, while some are metallic. It's all so confusing :)

• The dress is a little dynamic thing I made for this render. typical profile for such dresses. I find even simple dynamics plus a simple mesh gets a LOT of mileage in the render. Plus, you know, animation :D
    Blender and Poser made. I made the bottom part of the mesh as a simple open topped cone in Blender, but Poser's dynamics are way easier to use so I imported the skirt to Poser with the open waist constrained to let Poser's cloth sim form the lower folds. Back over to Blender to extrude the top, quad re-meshed, then the whole thing back to Poser to use. Having pre-made folds and quads makes the dress work smoothly with the cloth simulator :). The Blender <-> Poser is a fast workflow.

• The Quariz hair I like because it's easy to get a good quick render. Some hair is more complex and realistic but the render time goes up by an order of magnitude. This hair moves well, styles nicely, and renders pretty well with absolutely no effort. It's been in my runtime since forever. Props!

• The sandals I found in the store. They're cute and easy. What's not to like?
Comments on sculpting Dawn

It's a really nice mesh to work with. I find I'm not fighting the mesh, it just flows. When Dawn was first released I was disappointed. Because back then I relied on commercial morphs to make characters. And like any newly released figure, those were sparse. Commercial sculpting apps were out of my league and my ability there was nil to none anyway. That's why I didn't do anything with her.

Fast-forward to now. Blender sculpting has come along to more than just useable. And it's very easy to use for this sort of thing. Now I don't have to rely *just* on vendors to do what I like. I can make stuff. So now I can appreciate Dawn, not simply as a "dress up doll", but as a model to work with. And that makes a huge difference. I think I remember Ken saying something along these lines some time ago over on DA. Well, he was right. :p

Also, after playing with Dawn a bit, I'm REALLY looking forward to Dawn 2 :)

gimme gimme gimme!