• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Show Us Your Dawn Renders!

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
And now, for something completely different, I made these manga expression eyes and mouth about 20 years ago, and completely forgot about them until now. They can morph into a myriad of funny shapes. They auto-parent to the head, and can be used with any figure for some whacky expressions. It's like placing 3D morphing stickers on the face. LOL

MangaExp_1200.jpg

unreal

Noteworthy
DawnSE + Cookie head. Used "Body Type-12" and "Classic Bunny Suit". Rendered in Poser with Superfly.

Nice. Cookie was an underrated figure. Easy to use and rendered so nicely. Short on morphs so Cookie always looked like Cookie. I enjoyed animating her.

I had to fix her eyes so the reflection would work right.

I was curious to see how natural I could make the dance using only 2 controls and sin waves for 2 body parts (hips and head). The controls are invisible spheres, parented to the hands and essentially go up and down to slightly different waves. IK does all the rest :) Not many key frames; just enough to setup the waves. Easiest figure I've ever animated. I still like making toon images and animations with her :D

I find anime figures have the problem of not having spherical eyes. I actually found a hack for that. An eye rig. The eyes are spheres but there are magnets that distort the spheres (flatten and elongate). Nicely, the rotation of the sphere still move the iris and pupil texture as you'd want for eye movement, but the shape they're rotating around is a distorted sphere.

unreal

Noteworthy
Now another cartoonish DawnSE character, but this time using the "Universal Chibi Head". Uses my custom body shape, and the "Classic Bunny Suit" with it's furs expansion.

Nice. Dawn mesh morphs well. I wonder how hard it would be to create a "Star" morph for her. I kind of liked Star as well. Actually, it was Aiko3 that I had the most fun with. I tended to enjoy dialing in a bit of "real" to go stylized rather than full anime.

I'm hoping that's much easier with D2. Judging by what mech4D and Chris are showing, it's very possible. You've been playing with such things, right?

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
Nice. Dawn mesh morphs well. I wonder how hard it would be to create a "Star" morph for her. I kind of liked Star as well. Actually, it was Aiko3 that I had the most fun with. I tended to enjoy dialing in a bit of "real" to go stylized rather than full anime.

I'm hoping that's much easier with D2. Judging by what mech4D and Chris are showing, it's very possible. You've been playing with such things, right?

Thanks, I made an Anime morph for DawnSE that was posted on the previous page--> LINK. That was more in the lines of Aiko. If I could make it for D1, it should be possible to make it for D2. As usual, the biggest challenge is always adjusting the expression morphs, but since D2 has a facial rig, it will depend on how many expression morphs she will have.

unreal

Noteworthy
Thanks, I made an Anime morph for DawnSE that was posted on the previous page--> LINK. That was more in the lines of Aiko. If I could make it for D1, it should be possible to make it for D2. As usual, the biggest challenge is always adjusting the expression morphs, but since D2 has a facial rig, it will depend on how many expression morphs she will have.
Facial expressions are the achilles of so many characters. It took forever and a day before V4 finally got expressions with the subtlety and realism needed. LaFemme is just destroyed by that lack. I notice even in a lot of latest V-whatever products, vendors keep the shows with that neutral face look.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
Facial expressions are the achilles of so many characters. It took forever and a day before V4 finally got expressions with the subtlety and realism needed. LaFemme is just destroyed by that lack. I notice even in a lot of latest V-whatever products, vendors keep the shows with that neutral face look.

I must be the black sheep of vendors, because my renders and promos almost always have expressions.

JOdel

Dances with Bees
HW Honey Bear
It seems like it wasn't until Genesis era that the end user finally got access to expression dials. Everything for gen4 was full one-click expression presets and there was no readily available way to modify those. One of the best things about GenX was that it would convert gen4 expressions to Genesis and *put them on dials* so you could mix them, or only apply them part way.

KageRyu

Lost Mad Soul
Contributing Artist
It seems like it wasn't until Genesis era that the end user finally got access to expression dials. Everything for gen4 was full one-click expression presets and there was no readily available way to modify those. One of the best things about GenX was that it would convert gen4 expressions to Genesis and *put them on dials* so you could mix them, or only apply them part way.
This i snot my experience. I have had expression dials on figures from the Mike/Viki Generations 1-4. I have used, and still used those figures a lot, especially the Generation 3 and Generation 4 figures. I have so many morph packs and kits for the M3/V3 and M4/V4 lines to mix and match with. I also have dials on the Poser G2 figures for different expressions and face parts - though those are much more limited than what I have for M3/V3 and M4/V4.
M3Express.png

MEC4D

Zbrushing through the topology
Contributing Artist
I used M4 and V4 before Genesis in DS and could dial up expressions whatever I please and mix them , so not sure what you refer to, maybe you only used the presets at that time and not go under the individual dials of the morphs. I still have m told Poser files loading into DS and full control of everything using dials .

Screenshot 2022-03-01 183558.png

Last edited:

KageRyu

Lost Mad Soul
Contributing Artist
@JOdel As I recall, Mike/Vivk 3/4 installed the figures without the injection poses installed for expressions (or anything else), and the injection poses for the morphs and dials were stored under Poses. I installed them and re-saved my figures so they were ready to go when loaded - perhaps you did not install the injection poses?

MEC4D

Contributing Artist
Injections started with V/M 2 already , I was doing products for gen1 before DAZ excited
@JOdel As I recall, Mike/Vivk 3/4 installed the figures without the injection poses installed for expressions (or anything else), and the injection poses for the morphs and dials were stored under Poses. I installed them and re-saved my figures so they were ready to go when loaded - perhaps you did not install the injection poses?

unreal

Noteworthy
I used M4 and V4 before Genesis in DS and could dial up expressions whatever I please and mix them , so not sure what you refer to, maybe you only used the presets at that time and not go under the individual dials of the morphs. I still have m told Poser files loading into DS and full control of everything using dials .

View attachment 72754
:)
That was my experience as well (with the morphs++). All those "micro morphs" could be combined and dialed (with some effort) to get nice expressions. I spent a lot of time with a mirror deconstructing how the facial surface moves with expressions. One problem I used to run into was that they didn't hold up well if the face shape had changed too much. Facial rigs handle that better.

MEC4D

Contributing Artist
:)
That was my experience as well (with the morphs++). All those "micro morphs" could be combined and dialed (with some effort) to get nice expressions. I spent a lot of time with a mirror deconstructing how the facial surface moves with expressions. One problem I used to run into was that they didn't hold up well if the face shape had changed too much. Facial rigs handle that better.
Same here , expression morphs are good but only for the base they are created not for other characters and shapes for obvious reasons , there was times that I also used. mirror to mimic expressions , it was fun old times ! Some have problem with facial rigging as they need adjust the rigging to the new morph so the setup take little more time than before but is more versatile and less time consuming , I was surprised my chimp was working out of the box after adjusting rigging to shape , just what I was hopping for .

unreal

Noteworthy
Nice! Aiko was the first figure I really had fun with. The V series was "cool and the gang" but unreality is my preferred art style. If I want reality, I go outside :D

Jebus, but D2 is taking forever. Such an anime morph will be top o'the purchase list.

unreal

Noteworthy
Same here , expression morphs are good but only for the base they are created not for other characters and shapes for obvious reasons , there was times that I also used. mirror to mimic expressions , it was fun old times ! Some have problem with facial rigging as they need adjust the rigging to the new morph so the setup take little more time than before but is more versatile and less time consuming , I was surprised my chimp was working out of the box after adjusting rigging to shape , just what I was hopping for .
I'm taking it the rig has the advantage that head scales affect it. And, I suppose, depending on the morphs, various scaling the rig parts can go a long way. Then, I suppose one could supplement it with some JCM's (er, SRM's - Supplemental Rig Morphs?)

I found that LaFemme worked that way (her part scales actually worked). Although the control chips had to be moved by hand.

unreal

Noteworthy
Animated the character. This is DawnSE with Body Type-12 and my custom face morph. Rendered in Poser 12 with OptiX, and then butchered with GIF compression.

Nice.
The blinking (and ear flick) trick I used in my cycle, I've used also in GIF animations. I render the entire thing twice, once with eyes open, then with eyes closed. Now you can mix the eye closed frames anywhere. A python script just repeated the loop X times. Then, taking that entire thing, it setup random blinks and sub'd the corresponding "eye closed" frame. Do that with more than a couple of cycles, make sure that the ends give nice spacing. The fact that the loop is a loop with very minor differences, and if using imagemagick to composite it specifically, and you get a very compressed but high quality animation that doesn't loop so uniform.