• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Show Us Your Dawn Renders!

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
Last night I've found this new "Amelia" character for Dawn at RO, and I was frustrated that it was only for DS. I've bought it and then spent a few hours converting everything to Poser: the morphs, ERCs, materials and several overlays. This is the full character face and body with materials in Poser, rendered in Superfly. She's wearing my "Laced Sundress" with AetherDream's Tropical Heat materials expansion.

It's a cute petite, and yet voluptuous character. I like her. Applied about 40% shoulders reduction with "Narrow Shoulders". It works best in poses where the arms are down, such as in this one. ^^

Amelia_1200.jpg

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Oh she does look nice. I haven't updated my DS since 4.0 Pro, so no converting in the future for me.

The only thing I question in that render is your choice of stockings . . . they're a bit much, especially with pink shoes. ;)

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
Oh she does look nice. I haven't updated my DS since 4.0 Pro, so no converting in the future for me.

At RO they claim Amelia is only compatible with DS 4.10, and I wonder why. In theory it should work in 4.6+, but I had to upgrade to 4.10 because I wanted to play with dForce. As usual, exporting from DS to Poser broke all the ERCs and materials. This uses a lot of LIE overlays, so they obviously wouldn't work in Poser, but the materials room makes it a breeze to create my own overlays in just minutes. I just had to convert some of the masks because Poser doesn't support PNG transparency, but apparently DS does.

Perhaps I liked this character because it uses overlays for the makeup, just like I did in some of my products. I became a fan of this approach because of the added versatility. It makes the makeups independent from the base textures, so we can mix and match. For this one I made 2 overlay compound nodes: 1 for the eye shadows and 1 for the eyeliners. Thanks to compound nodes, those are each a single node that does everything, and I can reuse them later in other projects, like I did with the tanline overlays. Amelia was a chance to practice this more.

The only tricky part was that Amelia uses 3 body morphs from Dawn mixed up with her own, so I had to remove them from the binary morph, but keep them hooked up in the injection file. I have learned how to do that the hard way last night. ^____^

The only thing I question in that render is your choice of stockings . . . they're a bit much, especially with pink shoes. ;)

Agreed! I only realized that afterwards. ;p

Miss B

CV-BEE
I liked the LIE when I was still using DS all the time. I also like PP11's new feature of setting up layers in the Material Room, and as you mentioned, greatly appreciated, though I haven't tried it yet with makeup.

One of these days I'll learn how to set up a compound node. I've played with Ghostship's Uber Shader, which uses them, but I'm not as knowledgeable about all the nodes, and their uses, to try creating one.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
I liked the LIE when I was still using DS all the time. I also like PP11's new feature of setting up layers in the Material Room, and as you mentioned, greatly appreciated, though I haven't tried it yet with makeup.

One of these days I'll learn how to set up a compound node. I've played with Ghostship's Uber Shader, which uses them, but I'm not as knowledgeable about all the nodes, and their uses, to try creating one.

I also haven't used the new layers in the material room, because shader nodes can do the same job and STILL be backwards compatible with older Poser versions. As for compound nodes, they can be created with a mouse click. All they do is to pack several nodes together to make the shader look simpler. Once your shader is finished, you can group them up using compound nodes. However, this seems to be incompatible with Poser 9, but so is everything we create with Poser Pro 11 these days, so it can't be helped.

The good about compound nodes is that we don't have to know how they work to be able to use them. Sometimes I forget how I did something in the past, but if I grouped the shader into a compound node, I can still use it even if I don't remember HOW it does the trick. It's like a black box where we only have to know what the inputs are, and what the output is. Thankfully, we can name the inputs and outputs very clearly, so they are really easy to use.

One bummer side of it is that my Python scripts that copy and paste materials don't support compound nodes. In those cases I loose all the automation and have to go back to do it manually.

Miss B

CV-BEE
I guess scripts can't see what, if anything, is inside a node, and that's why it doesn't do everything the compound node would do if you applied it manually.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
I think this is might be simpler than that - those scripts were created before compound nodes existed, or in about the same time when they came out, so they were not supported. There is also a chance that Python cannot access them, like you said, so scripts cannot include this functionality.

Lyne

Distinguished
HW Honey Bear
not sure where to ask this... always wondered what the Dawn Dial for her eyes: OOT-DawnIrisSmooth is for? I never dial it, but it's had me curious for as long as Dawn's been out!

LisaB

HW3D Vice President & Queen Bee
Staff member
Co-Founder
not sure where to ask this... always wondered what the Dawn Dial for her eyes: OOT-DawnIrisSmooth is for? I never dial it, but it's had me curious for as long as Dawn's been out!

Zoom in on Dawn's eyes and turn the dial to see. :) Render with it on and with it off and see which you prefer.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist

I have been curious about this as well, and I suspect it might have something to do with a problem V4 used to have, where her eye surface was too close to the eyeball, which caused the eyes to render darker than usual, especially when using AO. I am just guessing here, but other people have created eye morphs to resolve things like the curvature of the cornea, so reflections show at the right places.

Those are my guesses, so maybe someone more knowledgeable could provide the actual answer. I would like to know that, too. ^^

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
I definitely see a difference, but darned if I know which I like better.

There seems less iris and more pupil when OOT-DawnIrisSmooth is set to 1.

upload_2018-3-30_18-54-54.png
upload_2018-3-30_18-55-3.png

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
Thanks for posting this, Satira! It doesn't seem to affect the reflections as I first suspected, but in my personal opinion the eye looks better without it. Dawn already has a pupil size that does something like this, so I am still not sure what the "smoothing" part is about. It does make Dawn look like she had too much coffee! Haha

One thing, in a different subject, is that we can only see the lashes in close up renders. I have tried different things to make them show up in non-close-up renders, but they just vanish. I suspect it might be related to texture filtering, which tends to blur things away.

Miss B

CV-BEE
I agree with Satira. It's hard to say which is better, as the difference is slight, so I'm not sure how easy it would be to see the difference from a distance.

Miss B

CV-BEE
One thing, in a different subject, is that we can only see the lashes in close up renders. I have tried different things to make them show up in non-close-up renders, but they just vanish. I suspect it might be related to texture filtering, which tends to blur things away.
I also think it has to do with the "makeup", because darker shadows and eyeliner will hide them as well.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
I also think it has to do with the "makeup", because darker shadows and eyeliner will hide them as well.

That could be, but lashes vanish from my renders with or without makeup. That's why I think it might be texture filtering.

I still have hopes that one day I will make a decent portrait, so I keep trying. This is another take on Amelia for Dawn converted to Poser, and rendered in Superfly. All of her make-up options are overlays, here the eye shadows and lipstick. She also has an overlay for eyeliner, but I had to choose that or the eye shadows. I will try to make an overlay that combines both of them at the same time - that would be interesting.

AmeliaPortrait_1200.jpg

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
what I notice between the "smooth" on is the border between the pupil and iris is blurred (I'm assuming you could still make the pupil larger or smaller if you wished?) You would prob only notice a difference at a really close up portrait render.

Lyne

Distinguished
HW Honey Bear
very interesting... I ALWAYS enlarge both the iris and pupil... will try this dial and only enlarge the iris... to me it looks more real with it on. THANKS ALL!

Hornet3d

Wise

Well have have missed so much while I have been trying to defeat so computer challenges.

I like the stockings a lot but I agree with you, not with this outfit.