• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Show Us Your Dawn Renders!

Dakorillon (IMArts)

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
Hmmm speaking of the versatility of Dawn... remember when I did a series using VW's African and Asian ladies!? I ought to REPOST those at Rendo! (I had removed my gallery there for OTHER reasons and am keeping it small, but now reading our discussion, I will add THOSE back! :) )

I hope you all don't mind me adding those links...I'm REALLY proud of those series... as I said, this is when I fell in love with Dawn and really went to town with her! :)
Wow!, Just Wow! Those are gorgeous! Love, love, love.

Me195

Extraordinary
I like your render and the fact that you used it to vent your anger to some degree. I think the products here are great but a lot of it is dynamic and a lot of artists do not use it and don't really look too hard. I used to be very much like that, although I would never be critical of a product just because I do not understand it or would not use it. Thanks to Hivewire team, the vendors and members here, I now use dynamic clothing on a regular basis but the conforming clothing here is every bit as usable.

Those people who only give Hivewire a passing look I think might miss the fact that it is more than a place to spend money. It is a community in a way that other marketplaces are not, or were and now cease to be. It is never worth arguing in forums as people take up positions they are not prepared to move from and they become very combative. It can be clearly seen elsewhere that the end result is everyone looses and the community falls apart. Happily I have never found Hivewire forums to be combative, just a nice place to share your views, your art and even your problems at times.

When I see comments such as those you refer to I do not feel anger but sadness for I know just how much such people are missing out by not spending time here. Very sad, but, in the end it is their choice.

Thank you. It was more disappointment and disapproval than anger I was venting. I had the same experience with dynamics. I have always admired dynamic clothing from afar. Despite almost twenty years of using poser I felt I didn't have the skill to use dynamic clothing. Fairly recently though I've started to get the hang of it. Fortunately there is a ton of great dynamic clothing here for me to practice with, and a lot of nice people who are willing to share their experience.

I have to agree. The Hivewire community is an excellent place to learn and grow. I have actively avoided other forums for a very long time because of unnecessary combativeness. The hive is different and is a community I would like to be a part of.

The part of comment like that I disapprove of is not the person expressing their opinion or exercising their right to make a choice it's when their presentation of it causes others to miss out. The negativity in the poser community has destroyed several promising projects and nearly destroyed projects that are vital to Poser itself. As a poser user I am grateful that despite all of that Hivewire still supports Poser.

You're a good man Hornet3D. I want to be just like you if I ever grow up. All joking aside you have an excellent grasp on things and your views seem very kind. That is an admirable trait.

Me195

Extraordinary
I feel I owe everyone an apology. It was not my intention to have my satirical render bring the negativity from another forum to this one, but that's what happened nonetheless. Even though it was unintentional I apologize for salting old wounds. Next time I will find a more constructive way to express my discontent with an what I feel is an unjust post. Perhaps a more direct approach is needed instead.

Me195

Extraordinary
Thought it was about time we had a Dawn render...finally got around to spending some of my birthday money...on the VWD plug in and bridge at rendo. Dawn with one of VW's african faces converted from Poser. Skin is Rawart's Kerry, dress is Jan's lovely bellepetite using VWD plug in to do a static simulation, shaders on the dress are JGreenlee's for the spot and ParrotDolphin for the lace, buttons are refracted glass shaders but I changed the settings. Iray render...
View attachment 21971

Excellent render. I love how she perfectly blends with the background.

This was an amazing adventure of an art project for me! :) THREE "Dawns" and a Dusk in this one! LOL! :)
link to close-up on my large image page...

Wow it's beautiful Lyne. You did an outstanding job.

Hornet3d

Wise
Thank you. It was more disappointment and disapproval than anger I was venting. I had the same experience with dynamics. I have always admired dynamic clothing from afar. Despite almost twenty years of using poser I felt I didn't have the skill to use dynamic clothing. Fairly recently though I've started to get the hang of it. Fortunately there is a ton of great dynamic clothing here for me to practice with, and a lot of nice people who are willing to share their experience.

I have to agree. The Hivewire community is an excellent place to learn and grow. I have actively avoided other forums for a very long time because of unnecessary combativeness. The hive is different and is a community I would like to be a part of.

The part of comment like that I disapprove of is not the person expressing their opinion or exercising their right to make a choice it's when their presentation of it causes others to miss out. The negativity in the poser community has destroyed several promising projects and nearly destroyed projects that are vital to Poser itself. As a poser user I am grateful that despite all of that Hivewire still supports Poser.

You're a good man Hornet3D. I want to be just like you if I ever grow up. All joking aside you have an excellent grasp on things and your views seem very kind. That is an admirable trait.

Thank you for your comments but I am really not sure I want to take the responsibility of anyone being like me when they grow up, apart from that my wife says I have never passed the mental age of 12.

I understand the disappointment and dismay when something is said about about a figure or piece of software when you know the claim not to be true. I also understand that others may be working to their own agenda but I really struggle to understand Smith Micro's position on this. I never upgraded to Poser 11 for many reasons so I do not know how good Pauline is but, while I can't prove it, I suspect that very few purchased or upgraded to Poser 11 just to get Pauline, the improvements and additions were far more important to many. SM's makes money by selling their software so anything that encourages buyers to buy that software, or stay with Poser rather than jump ship, would seem to be in their interests to support. Poser 11 users will try out Pauline anyway, as the have the figure in their runtime and can make up their own mind. Even the fitting room suggests that the drive behind Poser is to encourage other's to use their software irrespective of their choice of figure. I love Poser and I been a user since Poser 6, upgrading at every point, including Game Dev, until Poser 11 arrived. I may still upgrade at some point or look keenly at the next upgrade, however, their stance on Dawn, which I use extensively, would make me think just a little harder before I did so. If, and I say if, Poser changed so that Dawn did not work it just might be the catalyst I need to completely jump ship, which would be a shame after so many years.

Alisa

RETIRED HW3D QAV Director (QAV Queen Bee)
Staff member
QAV-BEE
That latest one is gorgeous, Lyne, as are the others and I don't want to forget Pen's lovely Dawn
render either!
I feel I owe everyone an apology. It was not my intention to have my satirical render bring the negativity from another forum to this one, but that's what happened nonetheless. Even though it was unintentional I apologize for salting old wounds. Next time I will find a more constructive way to express my discontent with an what I feel is an unjust post. Perhaps a more direct approach is needed instead.

I don't feel that you salted old wounds - perhaps we might want to gather up and move those posts to a new thread, I don't know...but in any case:

Your image has generated a lot of positive comments about Dawn and this community. It's also reminded people that spreading their images of HW figures in other placess where appropriate and, without arguing or fighting, talking about this place and its excellent content elsewhere is important to the success of HiveWire. It can perhaps help some overcome impressions that are just parroted comments based on opinions of others, many of whom have never even tried any of our products and have their own reasons for knocking them and us.

I've seen it said at other forums that people are too nice here...can you believe THAT???? A bit more of nice, and caring about other people's opinions and feelings would be good to spread around, right?

D

Deleted member 325

I have tried to disagree over there, but was massively flamed by the herd. The admins warned me to stop talking about Dawn, or else I could be suspended or even banned. They basically coerced me to shut up, claiming Dawn was off topic and therefore detracting from the subject (Pauline). We are only allowed to flame HW and Dawn, or else we are "detracting the subject". And note that I was threatened of suspension right on the 1st or 2nd post, where I said my experience with Dawn was completely different from what was being said there.
I have theories, I decided not to post the elaborate response I just typed - but I believe at the time this happened, RDNA was already in merger talks. I have very strong reasons and some supporting evidence to support the merger talks may have begun as much as a year before it became reality (possibly more). One of my own experiences in this timeframe very strongly supports this.

Hornet3d

Wise
I've seen it said at other forums that people are too nice here...can you believe THAT???? A bit more of nice, and caring about other people's opinions and feelings would be good to spread around, right?

Well I can believe that because I have seen the same said myself but I am only glad that such people do not come to Hivewire if the think there is something wrong with being nice.

What the people who seem to enjoy the flame wars seem to miss is the outcome of all this hatred. Before I used to frequent Hivewire I used to visit another forum multiple times in day until the flame wars became the norm. Slowly the talented and helpful people drifted way leaving just the trolls and the people who used to bait them. Today, similar threads at the same forum can go days or weeks before they have new input and even with a visit once a week it would be easy to keep up with the threads but trashing of the forum was not the only cost of the bad behavior, the community to a large degree, has died and there are a lot of talented and helpful people have been lost to the whole community irrespective of what software you use.

Now I visit Hivewire multiple times a day and not only are the forums active there are so many interesting threads here I just do not have the time to read them all. I can see what other artists are doing with their work both in Poser and D/S, something that would never have happened elsewhere. Of course the fact that Dawn is a figure that can work in both Poser and D/s helps this spirit of co-operation, I accept that there have to be difference in the figures but to all intense and purposes the same base figures exists in both software.

Just as making peace is more difficult than making war, bringing artist together must be more difficult than driving them apart. The Hivewire team have done this and continue to grow the 'nice' family on a daily basis which is something every member of the team should be proud of. The fact that this is too nice for some people and the concept is alien to others should not detract from that achievement but highlight the effort and achievements.

We can only hope this small team can continue to shine a light down the right path and that the philosophy not only expands in the 3D art world but a lot wider, god knows all Internet forums could do well to move towards this road.

Hornet3d

Wise

I certainly don't think you need to apologise after all it was not your negativity you were just reporting the fact. I don't frequent other forums theses days as Hivewire has more than enough to keep my interests looked after. Because of that, and the also because I enjoy working with Dawn so much, it is easy for me to forget that these negative views still exist. Your submission just reminded me that I should redouble my efforts to show what Dawn can do in the hope others will at least begin to question. I have tried in the past, without trying to force Dawn down anyone's throat for, not only do I feel that is counter productive, I think Dawn is good enough to speak for herself, as is the rest of the Hivewire family. Sadly the places where Dawn can be shown seem to have diminished in the last year or so but that doesn't mean I should stop trying. So rather than you apologising I should be thanking you for keeping me informed.

So thank you.

Alisa

RETIRED HW3D QAV Director (QAV Queen Bee)
Staff member
QAV-BEE
Just as making peace is more difficult than making war, bringing artist together must be more difficult than driving them apart. The Hivewire team have done this and continue to grow the 'nice' family on a daily basis which is something every member of the team should be proud of. The fact that this is too nice for some people and the concept is alien to others should not detract from that achievement but highlight the effort and achievements.

We can only hope this small team can continue to shine a light down the right path and that the philosophy not only expands in the 3D art world but a lot wider, god knows all Internet forums could do well to move towards this road.

Aww, thanks, Hornet :). It's the way all communities should be...accepting, respectful, kind and caring. Differing opinions can be expressed in a non-confrontational, non-aggressive way, but both parties have to do that. It's something that I know is important here, and is definitely the philosophy of the 2 owners - Lisa & Chris.

Hornet3d

Wise
Aww, thanks, Hornet :). It's the way all communities should be...accepting, respectful, kind and caring. Differing opinions can be expressed in a non-confrontational, non-aggressive way, but both parties have to do that. It's something that I know is important here, and is definitely the philosophy of the 2 owners - Lisa & Chris.

I agree with all of that but for it to work the environment needs to be there and it does not just happen. My belief is that the reason for many forums slide in popularity was just as much to do with bad and unfair moderation as it was to do with the people making hateful submissions.

The high standards here are set out clearly from the start which makes it easy to comply with.

Dakorillon (IMArts)

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
Thought it was about time we had a Dawn render...finally got around to spending some of my birthday money...on the VWD plug in and bridge at rendo. Dawn with one of VW's african faces converted from Poser. Skin is Rawart's Kerry, dress is Jan's lovely bellepetite using VWD plug in to do a static simulation, shaders on the dress are JGreenlee's for the spot and ParrotDolphin for the lace, buttons are refracted glass shaders but I changed the settings. Iray render...
View attachment 21971
Beautiful! I love that dress, alas, Dynamics is still beyond my skills/knowledge at the moment, if it doesn't conform or just parent....it isn't happening for me! lol.

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Alisa, I like your idea to collect these posts regarding the Alternative Facts attitude toward Dawn and HiveWire and put them in a new topic.

I'm still trying to wrap my head around the Toilet Paper Tube clothing :wink: Of course, the predominant clothing at most stores is toilet paper clothing ... which has been worn out in the rain so the bulk of the fabric has melted away leaving skimpy strips that barely cover the bits and pieces one doesn't normally see out in public. Except during events like the Philly Naked Bike Ride. Warning ... photo in article is NSFW ... while red stars were positioned over the backsides of some riders ... many of the people in the photo (riding bikes ?!?) are only wearing hats and shoes, and in some cases, backpacks.

Seriously?!? Isn't it a wee bit uncomfortable to ride a bike nude? Especially for you guys?

Gadget Girl

Extraordinary
Contributing Artist
So I am clearly a Dawn fan, but more than that I am a Hivewire fan. I have found a place where others put an effort into encouraging and helping people not putting them down. A place where you can discuss the strengths and weakness of DS and Poser, and any other software, without the flame wars.

Here's the best thing about that. I'm a Poser user because the interface is just better for my brain. It feel natural and easy to use. DS doesn't. But from a technology standpoint, there are things that are easier to do in DS, and places where it is the better tool. Being here at Hivewire has helped me learn a lot of those things. I still default to Poser, but when I realize something would be better done in DS, I switch over, and that has helped my workflow a lot.

I can see what other artists are doing with their work both in Poser and D/S, something that would never have happened elsewhere. Of course the fact that Dawn is a figure that can work in both Poser and D/s helps this spirit of co-operation, I accept that there have to be difference in the figures but to all intense and purposes the same base figures exists in both software.

So I was never a big part of any of the forums elsewhere. I would stop in to look for answers to questions, and things like that. It never seemed to me they had as much art posted as Hivewire does. Now this may be a total misconception on my part, and it may just be the way the forum is organized here, makes it more visible, but I love seeing what others are doing, as I'm learning. I don't have an art background (well, not art as in painting or sculpture, my background is theatre) so I learn a lot just from seeing how others compose their work.

Which is why I love stopping by almost ever day.