• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

FreyrStrongart

Brilliant
Contributing Artist
WOW guys some amazing stuff going on here!! LOL I should visit more often!! Awesome Griffin @JOdel ! @FreyrStrongart Gorgeous movement and outfit and AWE.................... Love your little Unicorn guy!! :balloon03:

Well had to have a play with a new item with fallish colors too.

Arklight
View attachment 52116
Created With: HiveWire Horse, CWRW's Fallow Deer coat texture, Liver Chestnut Mane and Tail, Lisa's Botanicals Daylily, Windmill for Lisa's Botanicals Daylily, Pointed Eye for Lisa's Botanicals Daylily, Fairy Flower II with custom textures Arki's Orchid Wings, BG is in the Dance of the Flowers Wings expansion set

Also can't believe West World Bath House is getting top billing over at Daz in the faves scroll featuring the HiveWire Horse!
Very Cute Critter! I love what you did here.

luannemarie

Busy Bee
Title: Bonded Love
Bonded Love 100z.jpg

JOdel

Dances with Bees
HW Honey Bear
Well, duh. Had one of my "wait a moment" moments. CRWR *has* done a fur preset for the red stag.
So I applied that to my unicorn. It applied with no issues. IfI knew what I was doing in LAMH I might try to throw the tail shave group in with the body's, and make the mane even longer, but I can live with a shaggy tail. and the rest is just fine.

So I now have a unicorn that I'm reasonably pleased with, and what's more, it won't be a total nightmare to pose. Whew!
Unicorn-2.jpg

JOdel

Dances with Bees
HW Honey Bear
So do I. And it's finally a Frankencritter that can be posed without a major production. Even though the critter is only about 60% deer and the rest Whisper and the Arabian morph, the LAMH preset gave me no grief putting it in place at all.

FreyrStrongart

Brilliant
Contributing Artist
Well, duh. Had one of my "wait a moment" moments. CRWR *has* done a fur preset for the red stag.
So I applied that to my unicorn. It applied with no issues. IfI knew what I was doing in LAMH I might try to throw the tail shave group in with the body's, and make the mane even longer, but I can live with a shaggy tail. and the rest is just fine.

So I now have a unicorn that I'm reasonably pleased with, and what's more, it won't be a total nightmare to pose. Whew!View attachment 52174

I like the look of this one!

FreyrStrongart

Brilliant
Contributing Artist
shaggy horse.jpg

Working on strandbased mane and tails for the HiveWireHorse. Here the shaggy coat with the short mane and bushy tail. Could need a bit more bushyness. I am not so happy with the coat because there is that strange blackness on the white part of the hair and I can't figure out what is causing it. Turned off casting shadow, shortened the hair, but there is still some kind of blackness. Somebody know what might cause this?

I am also trying to figure out if there is a way to create shape presets for the strandbased hair, like... more hair, galloping preset for tail. The way it is now I basically need a new mane or tail for every occasion. Naturally people could style them, once they are done, and minor tweaks are not a problem, but getting a straight tail to do a flag takes a lot of styling. So... that's my beginning stage.

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Is it an iray render Frey? you may need to tweak the hair shader on the LAMH part (I think it defaults to 3DL)

CWRW

Extraordinary
HW3D Exclusive Artist
FreyStrongArt - What you are experiencing with SBH are exactly all the things I have experienced with it and why I haven't done much more with it/haven't done any SBH hair products yet.. I don't have any answers for you....wish I did...

FreyrStrongart

Brilliant
Contributing Artist
View attachment 52363

Working on strandbased mane and tails for the HiveWireHorse. Here the shaggy coat with the short mane and bushy tail. Could need a bit more bushyness. I am not so happy with the coat because there is that strange blackness on the white part of the hair and I can't figure out what is causing it. Turned off casting shadow, shortened the hair, but there is still some kind of blackness. Somebody know what might cause this?

I am also trying to figure out if there is a way to create shape presets for the strandbased hair, like... more hair, galloping preset for tail. The way it is now I basically need a new mane or tail for every occasion. Naturally people could style them, once they are done, and minor tweaks are not a problem, but getting a straight tail to do a flag takes a lot of styling. So... that's my beginning stage.
Is it an iray render Frey? you may need to tweak the hair shader on the LAMH part (I think it defaults to 3DL)
Well, it's not LAMH its the native DAZ shader. And it's the Iray shader too, the 3DL shader works superbly in fact. The black would not be an issue for most darker skins. I wonder whether fading out the actual color to a much paler shade would do the trick.

FreyrStrongart

Brilliant
Contributing Artist
So I have tried to see how a weaker hairmat color affects the blackish shadows. I have the hair mats only in the hair transmission channel. So I put in a white layer at 50% to fade out the colors. First images is with full colors on both channels, second one is with 50% color on the hair root and last image is with 50% on both channels. It is clearly visible that the shadows diminish with the strength of the mat. I think the second image with faded roots but not tips is a good trade off. The third produces nice white patches but a somewhat washed out shade in the brown patches.
full mats.jpg

50%Root.jpg

50%all.jpg

I rather like the last version, despite the slightly washed out feel on the brown.
Getting the effect the way one likes is a matter of getting the color intensity with the hair and root mat right as far as I can see. If I am lucky I will hit on a combination that works for all coats equally well.

NapalmArsenal

Distinguished
Contributing Artist
I'm liking the last version too. You might check on DeviantArt I think Joe Pingleton possibly has a few tutorials on the dark shadows if you want to check them out on his DA page.