• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
That is one sweet render Jodel. The saddle is just right, but I love all the characters in the render also.

JOdel

Dances with Bees
HW Honey Bear
Thanks! The Cat Saddle and Cargo Boot really do scale and parent to Harry very well indeed. Although, at least in the shetland morph, you have to morph him into a mare. Otherwise the strap for the boot would be Very Uncomfortable.

The people, like I say, are all 3D Universe 'Toon characters for Genesis3. I hadn't used G3 for anything much, although I've collected a lot of content for them. I can't say I'm overwhelmingly enthusiastic. The posing dials don't seem to be particularly responsive.

Actually, one thing that seems to be needed, but that I couldn't find is a saddle blanket. All of the ones I have are part of the saddle model as a whole. One can understand why, but it makes things difficult when you get an item that doesn't include one. (Cats, I suppose, being furry, would not need a blanket under their saddles.)

JOdel

Dances with Bees
HW Honey Bear
Now I rather want to see how that set of tack fits an unmorphed Harry. Although, like I say, I think it really needs to be re-rigged to be truly useful. At the very least one would need to be able to pose the stirrups.

And referring back to my earlier post; am I correct that adding bones to the cinch would make it easier to scale just the sections of the cinch?

The CatSaddle is on Rendo. One of Smay's products. It was actually built for Gosha and Mavka. (And the MilCat, of course.)

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Possibly...extra bones theoretically would mean that you would have another parameter dial to scale. Which should provide more choice at least about where the scaling goes.

JOdel

Dances with Bees
HW Honey Bear
Should make it easier to widen or narrow it at the top or bottom independently or to shorten or lengthen the top or bottom independently, too.
The stirrups might need extra bones if one were going to get fancy with posing, but basically, I'd expect that one bone for the strap and one for the stirrup itself would be enough to cover most bases.

It certainly isn't any advantage to have the MilCat rig tucked into it, with no allowances for moving the parts which can be expected to move.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Once you have it the right size would it be worth exporting the object, reimporting the object and using the transfer utility to fit it to Harry so that it will fit all of the breeds?

I don't think I have it...it's probably in my wish list iirc though.

JOdel

Dances with Bees
HW Honey Bear
That's an idea. I'm not familiar with the Transfer Utility, so it isn't something that I tend to think of.

Lyne

Distinguished
HW Honey Bear
Poser's transfer morphs MIGHT help... it's something I found only works a fraction of the time ... ie; transferred all morphs, most dials DON'T work, but one or two might... the item's OWN DIALS worked better for me, with putting Daio's Native Costume tack on Harry...

JOdel

Dances with Bees
HW Honey Bear
Well I had a try at rerigging the CatSaddle and I cannot say it was a success. On the other hand, I finally found where Smay hid the rigging for the stirrups, so rerigging the model is no longer a priority. Image below.
Screen Shot 2017-01-01 at 4.01.19 PM.png

Here is the saddle and boot on unmorphed Harry. Someone else may manage to do a better job of it. The fit is not perfect, since cats are not shaped like horses. Obviously, one would need to scale the additional props in the set to fit the resized base items.
Somehow I've got all kinds of distortion in my viewport, but one can sort of see what I ended up with. (Now I think I'm going to have to see how this set fits on the House Cat.

The proportions I used were:
Saddle: 200%basic/x-axis an additional 103%/y-axis 94.4%
abdomen of saddle rigging: x-axis 110.2%/y-axis 98.5%
I also gave the x rotation a bend of 0.88

Boot: 200% basic/ x-axis 105%/ y-axis 95%
boot in boot rigging: x-axis 105.5%/ y-axis 93.4%/ z-axis 92.6%
Screen Shot 2017-01-01 at 4.01.32 PM.png

Lianam

Eager
I was going to ask about the saddle. Fitted to the milcat and it's for poser. My partner has poser 2014 and I have not even looked at it very close. I guess I need to dig out that tutorial some of us did last fall and figure out how to transfer stuff to Daz again. I have no idea how to add bones and morphs to items. I guess I am going to have to learn that. I had a hard time fitting that harness to Harry and if he moved the reins moved. lol Some more things on my to do learn list I guess. I am going to put the catsaddle on my wishlist. :)

JOdel

Dances with Bees
HW Honey Bear
Well, the CatSaddle seems to respond well to scaling and parenting. It was built for Poser, but it has legacy rigging, so it works fine in Studio. It just won't 'Fit to' anything other than the MilCat. Or at least so I suppose. I haven't tried that, since neither of the two figures I've put it on were anything like the same scale as the MilCat.

The boot is all of a piece I think, but the cinch for the saddle can be turned off and a plain band passed around the figure if the straps are too uncooperative.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
If you export the scaled item as an object and re load it as a morph you could convert it to triax. Fit it to whatever animal you were using it on and then dial in the morph to get the right fit. Then save it as a duf file.

I do something similar with hair that already has a Dawn morph to make it into a figure that will autofollow.

English Bob

Adventurous
So I caved in and bought Harry. He's a handsome fellow, to be sure. This render is default Harry although I did also get the draught morphs (more accurately: Clydesdale) while they were on sale. Most of my horse experience, such as it is, is with heavies thanks to my family.

Jill 'n' 'Arry 1200x1600.jpg

Also featured is @HaiGan's headcollar (thanks!) and the texture I made for 3D-Age's Office Suit IV. You can see it's gone a bit wonky on the skirt, which is due to the UV mapping unfortunately. I'd have to remap the skirt or somehow deform the texture to match. The background is from a photo taken at a real horse show by either Mrs. Bob or me; not sure who took what... I had the devil of a job trying to match the render and the photo and it's still not quite right.

It's a good job Harry is very well behaved, which saved me the trouble of trying to include a lead rope. Just throwing that in there for any equestrians who may be looking. ;)