• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Runtime DNA merges with DAZ 3D

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
I agree Hornet...competition is good for the end users whether competition between programs or content. It gives us more choice and also I think better prices. I currently use both programs (admittedly DS more as I know it better) and many different models. I like the Hivewire figures but also use Daz figures. I had someone recently say they thought I only used Poser now which made me do a double take as I use both programs but DS more as I'm more comfortable with it. I don't see it as an either or proposition as they both have strong points and areas of weakness.

quietrob

Extraordinary
I agree, Pendraia. I use Poser primarily but my favorite Generation 3 figures I'll actually convert to Genesis so I can take advantage of their superior expressions. I also use it to convert props. While I think Poser is better out of the box, those that are used DS would swear by it and don't have the half issues finding content or simply posing as I do as I do 90% my own poses.

I don't think it's any secret that prices have risen as one as taken over more and more. Competition is good and healthy and also gives vendor another avenue to sell their work. I suppose I'm reiteraiting what's written but at least people can see that they aren't the only ones who sees what happening and understands our pain. One more thing that I'll also repeat. I don't mind bundles. Some are really good! A great idea was create you own bundle. That hit my wallet but I was rather satisfied. However, I hate being told to get a good price on one particular model I MUST buy another particular model of THEIR choosing. That has kept me away from DAZ as much as anything else. I'll decide what I want thank you very much.

Hornet3d

Wise
I agree, Pendraia. I use Poser primarily but my favorite Generation 3 figures I'll actually convert to Genesis so I can take advantage of their superior expressions. I also use it to convert props. While I think Poser is better out of the box, those that are used DS would swear by it and don't have the half issues finding content or simply posing as I do as I do 90% my own poses.

I don't think it's any secret that prices have risen as one as taken over more and more. Competition is good and healthy and also gives vendor another avenue to sell their work. I suppose I'm reiteraiting what's written but at least people can see that they aren't the only ones who sees what happening and understands our pain. One more thing that I'll also repeat. I don't mind bundles. Some are really good! A great idea was create you own bundle. That hit my wallet but I was rather satisfied. However, I hate being told to get a good price on one particular model I MUST buy another particular model of THEIR choosing. That has kept me away from DAZ as much as anything else. I'll decide what I want thank you very much.

I agree that bundles are, in the main, a good idea. The only problem is it only takes the buyer to have already purchased one item in the bundle and a lot of the benefit is lost so the idea to build your own bundle has a lot of merit.

I agree Hornet...competition is good for the end users whether competition between programs or content. It gives us more choice and also I think better prices. I currently use both programs (admittedly DS more as I know it better) and many different models. I like the Hivewire figures but also use Daz figures. I had someone recently say they thought I only used Poser now which made me do a double take as I use both programs but DS more as I'm more comfortable with it. I don't see it as an either or proposition as they both have strong points and areas of weakness.

I think the one thing both Poser and DS, and all 3D art programs, have in common is their complexity so if you are used to one program many are going to stick with what they know unless the have a very good reason not to. One of the reasons I do not want to use DS is that I would have so much to learn just to do what I can already do in Poser. If I had used DS for the last ten years the reverse would equally be true. I still have so much to learn in Poser that to learn another program would, for me at least, be a distraction. Much as I love learning, I enjoy creating my renders and I would get more fun continuing to do that then spending the same time learning a new way to do what I can do already.

eclark1894

Visionary
One of the things I never truly understood when they first started making DS was why they were changing the formatting on things. That's one of the reasons I never had much sympathy for people who complained that you couldn't use Poser materials on some products, because it was a problem that DAZ created itself. I mean, aside from the fact that I thought it was wrong for DAZ to be creating Studio in the first place, that was one of the reasons I never bothered to download a copy and try it out.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Hey Earl, I would imagine it was a Licensing/copyright issue. I understand why they started DS even mores so after reading the interview with Chris.

Kerya

Brilliant
Well - there was a time when it looked like Poser was going down the drain and Daz3d wanted to go on selling content, so they started creating their own software. They couldn't copy the Poser file system - there is something called copyright (as a content creator you should be fine with people who are respecting copyright *grin*).

And the "free" approach went well for me. I would never have bought 3d graphics software or content if I had not stumbled over the free DazStudio (on a beadwork blog ... LOL).
Hmmmmm
I could have saved a LOT of money (not buying Poser, not buying content ...)
Hmmmmm
But I wouldn't have had so much fun.
*grin*

eclark1894

Visionary
Well - there was a time when it looked like Poser was going down the drain and Daz3d wanted to go on selling content, so they started creating their own software. They couldn't copy the Poser file system - there is something called copyright (as a content creator you should be fine with people who are respecting copyright *grin*).
I'm not going to get back into my issue with the creation of Studio again, except to say that I'm not sure I buy your file system argument. After all, Daz and content creators have been creating content in Poser's designated file formats literally for decades now. This was DAZ going off on it's own and creating it's own format.

Kerya

Brilliant
Yes, they can create content in Poser's file format - that is one thing.
But programming a new software with the specifications to load Poser's files ... that is a different pair of shoes.
It is like SmithMicro saying they will not incorporate the ability to use .duf files into Poser.

(I try to make myself clear, but vocabulary and grammar errors are sometimes difficult to decipher. I am not a native English speaker)

eclark1894

Visionary
Yes, they can create content in Poser's file format - that is one thing.
But programming a new software with the specifications to load Poser's files ... that is a different pair of shoes.
It is like SmithMicro saying they will not incorporate the ability to use .duf files into Poser.

(I try to make myself clear, but vocabulary and grammar errors are sometimes difficult to decipher. I am not a native English speaker)
But... if I'm correct... you could load Poser files in early versions of Studio. I think they still can. It was just the materials that were different. And Poser's not reading the .daz and .duf files were Poser's choices. My guess is that DAZ would have loved it if Poser had adopted their formats.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
But... if I'm correct... you could load Poser files in early versions of Studio. I think they still can.
Yes, I have the majority of my purchases over the years, except for Genesis 1, installed in my DS 3 Advanced Runtime, and they work just fine. It's the products that were created specifically for DS, and not Poser, that have to be installed in the Content folder.

With the advent of Dawn, Dusk and the rest of the HW family of characters, I installed my newer purchases into my Poser 9 Runtime, unless it's SuperFly specific, which I installed into my PoserPro 11 Runtime. With HW's new supporting of Poser 10 and higher, I'll be installing future purchases into my PP11 Runtime as well. Anything I purchase elsewhere still gets installed into my DS 3A Runtime.

Since P9 and PP11 can both be set up to see my DS 3A Runtime, I don't have any problems accessing my older products. I just didn't want to go through the time and trouble moving everything if it wasn't necessary.

Mythocentric

Extraordinary
Just spotted TerraDome 3 over at DAZ. DS only accompanied by a considerable price hike! Rather gives the lie to the former owners assurances that Poser devolopment would continue! :speechless:

James R.

Busy Bee
I hate to say this, but unless there is a Poser version of TD3 coming very soon - very very soon - I'd have to conclude that their "ongoing" support of Poser was nothing but fantasy. (I don't want to be cynical, but the whole event still stings.)

Sunfire

One Busy Little Bee
QAV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Not that I am defending them at all, either side of the merger, but I would like to point out that there has been, at least in the Platinum Club, and upswing in the number of Poser natively useable items showing up for sale. Unfortunately, it is ultimately up to the PA as to what they create and for what platform. TD2 isn't that old, and DS has never had a version of TD, so while they're calling it TD3, it is the first version that DS has that is native to its platform. Although, there is every indication that there won't be a new Poser version in the future.

tparo

Engaged
QAV-BEE
Just spotted TerraDome 3 over at DAZ. DS only accompanied by a considerable price hike! Rather gives the lie to the former owners assurances that Poser devolopment would continue! :speechless:

I feel thats rather unfair to the creators just because they create a product for DS it doesn't necessarily follow that they will no longer make Poser products. For a long time DS users have been asking for a TerraDome that works in DS and it was said long before the merger that it was being looked into. The problem with something like Terradome is that it would be near impossible to create it for both platforms.
I do feel though that while Poser users slam creators for making anything for DS they may be less likely to want to make content for them.

eclark1894

Visionary
I feel thats rather unfair to the creators just because they create a product for DS it doesn't necessarily follow that they will no longer make Poser products. For a long time DS users have been asking for a TerraDome that works in DS and it was said long before the merger that it was being looked into. The problem with something like Terradome is that it would be near impossible to create it for both platforms.
I do feel though that while Poser users slam creators for making anything for DS they may be less likely to want to make content for them.
I don't think anyone's slamming creators for making DS content. Especially not in this case. I do disagree with whether or not the TD creators are no longer supporting Poser though, as I just haven't seen any evidence of that. They built TD3 from the ground up FOR DS. I do believe they took a mistep with the naming of the product though. After all, there is no TD 1 and 2 for DS.

Hornet3d

Wise
I don't think that anyone is slamming the creators either, my personal view is that this has more to do with the position artist find themselves in. For many the merger was bad news and thought that Poser users would suffer while others thought it may mean that Daz would do more for Poser customers. The end result is that some artists are looking for any signs that would suggest where all this is leading.

I have to say that I can understand the concern while I have no real evidence either way but as someone who didn't buy Terradome (as I use Vue) I am only really an observer. For me the main point that was clear was that the Dawn stuff from RDNA was never going to appear at Daz and a suspect a few other Poser products won't either and in that respect Poser users may well have lost out.

eclark1894

Visionary
You know, I should point out that from reading the description in the posts at DAZ, from what I understand the major technological feat in TD3 was just in getting it to work in DS. Just about everything else, aside from Iray is stuff that TD2 can already do.

Willowisp

Adventurous
The main differences are Iray and instancing, and it has a much denser mesh than Poser can handle. There are however some features of TD2 that Studio can not handle, so they are both good in their own ways.

My only disappointment with the new Terradome 3 is that they are not updating TD2 to have Superfly materials. I am all for Studio users have a terradome, I just wish it didn't mean that Poser users are being left out. Having said that most of the mats in TD2 work fine in Superfly they just need a bit of tweaking.