• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Runtime DNA merges with DAZ 3D

Hornet3d

Wise
The two most popular methods were a small drop about half the size of a pea on the center of the processors. This gets compressed to a thin film as the heat sink is pressed down. Second method was the same amount but spread across the processor, either with the card provided with some thermal compounds or an old credit card. The end result was much the same. I always used the second method and I have systems here I built over ten years ago that are still used in a network.

It should be remembered that the whole point is to even out the microscopic indentations on the top of the processor it is not there ti insulate it. The compound allows the heat sink to have the best thermal contact between the processor and the base of the heat sink. It the compound should always be removed and replaced if the heat sink is removed as it is impossible to seat the heat sink in precisely that same position on refitting.

Lorraine

The Wicked Witch of the North
You should have seen my son's face when he found I had taken the fan off my video card to clean it. He asked me why the little clips were missing. Upon being told I'd cut them off with a paring knife (well, the bloody things wouldn't let go!), said to me in language strong I was never to touch anything else again and explained about thermal paste. But it was clean! If somewhat overheated.

Hornet3d

Wise
You should have seen my son's face when he found I had taken the fan off my video card to clean it. He asked me why the little clips were missing. Upon being told I'd cut them off with a paring knife (well, the bloody things wouldn't let go!), said to me in language strong I was never to touch anything else again and explained about thermal paste. But it was clean! If somewhat overheated.

Whoops, well we all live and learn.

Lorraine

The Wicked Witch of the North
That video card has been retired to wherever overheated video cards got to retire, probably somewhere cool ;)

Hornet3d

Wise
That video card has been retired to wherever overheated video cards got to retire, probably somewhere cool ;)

Oh well.

In the past I have made a habit of rebuilding things or working on car and having bits left over. I have always maintained that I am a economic rebuilder and if the everything works the part clearly was not essential. These days I have better things to do with my time so I pay someone else to do such things which is probably for the best.

Gadget Girl

Extraordinary
Contributing Artist
Well, after 5 or 6 months, I guess we can say a little more definitively what the RDNA DAZ merger means. I got an e-mail today advertising TerraDome3 for Iray. Now don't get me wrong, I think it's great that TerraDome is being made available for use in DS. It's a wonderful product and for any DS users out there, if you want to do massive outdoor landscapes I'd recommend it.

That being said, they didn't just make a version of TerraDome 2 for DS, and there's still no SuperFly version of TerraDome (which matters because the materials do some cool complex things based on the elevation of the morphs in Firefly). It looks like TerraDome will only be DS going forward, which is too bad. But hey, I have the Hive :beehive: and I was never part of the community at RDNA or DS so it's not all bad :bee:.

David

Adventurous
Contributing Artist
Just read through the forum thread at DAZ on the TD3 release. Not a mention of a TD3 for Poser. The feeling is Poser users have TD 2 and now Studio users have TD3 and that's it. Sad, but not unexpected.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Actually, I only have the original TD. I never bought TD2 because there were sooooo many addon packs, and I just didn't want to get into that kind of expense. Now I wonder if I should get the TD2 base, as it's on sale, but then I have Bryce for outdoor scenes, so not sure if I should or not. Hmmmmm, decisions decisions.

quietrob

Extraordinary
I think it's whether TD3 is actually just TD2 repackaged with the advantages of instancing and IRAY textures. Something that Poser Doesn't have and is only challenged by the Eco for Terradome, a dreaded add-on pack (which I have and is worth the cost). What is more concerning to me is whether the RDNA people will now leave Poser people out entirely. RDNA had competitive Poser products and actually had a very helpful forum for Poser and DAZ users. Especially nice if you didn't wish to be roughed up because you used one software or another. Everyone was welcome!

Oh well, I'm glad I hit up Poserworld on their 70% off sale recently.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
They did say something about having made improvements Rob but as I never used TD2 I can't really give a comparison. I did pick up the base and two add ons. So far it's not working too badly with my machine but I think that if I add too much it will slow down rapidly.

eclark1894

Visionary
They haven't ruled out a TD3 for Poser, but to be fair, most of this one for DS was just basically getting it to work at all. I don't use TD anyway, but I admit I was tempted.

Gadget Girl

Extraordinary
Contributing Artist
Actually, I only have the original TD. I never bought TD2 because there were sooooo many addon packs, and I just didn't want to get into that kind of expense. Now I wonder if I should get the TD2 base, as it's on sale, but then I have Bryce for outdoor scenes, so not sure if I should or not. Hmmmmm, decisions decisions.

Never had the original TD so I can't fully compare. What I will say is that I have found the Sun light that comes with Terradome2 invaluable. Basically whenever I'm doing an outdoor scene where I want to control shadows, I use it, whether I'm using TD2 or not. Also if you are picking up TD2 the one explanation I would say is a must have is TerraLuna2. I love the various moon options it comes with, as well as the low level ambient light for making night scenes.

They did say something about having made improvements Rob but as I never used TD2 I can't really give a comparison. I did pick up the base and two add ons. So far it's not working too badly with my machine but I think that if I add too much it will slow down rapidly.

I think it is great they've made it available for DS. I can't really tell from the description what the improvements may be, unless they are to the water and atmospherics. Since they've made it Iray only it looks like, I can see where they could do some cool things with these for a PBR render engine that were just messier in Firefly. Which is again why I'd love to see a Superfly version of TD2,

They haven't ruled out a TD3 for Poser, but to be fair, most of this one for DS was just basically getting it to work at all. I don't use TD anyway, but I admit I was tempted.

They may not have 'ruled it out' but this line from the TD3 product page makes me doubtful
This is the largest and most detailed TerraDome edition to date. Once Poser's most popular product, it is now available ONLY for Daz Studio. Imagine all this, and then.....imagine rendering it with Iray.

As for Daz3d and no Poser content ... there is a commercial thread about Suberfly shaders coming soon to Daz: www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/109581/vb-supershaders-for-poser11-superfly-vol-1-coming-soon-commercial ...

Thanks for sharing the link. I'll keep an eye out for those shaders as they look good. And I would love to be wrong about Daz not putting out new stuff for Poser, but I'm not optimistic.

eclark1894

Visionary
Never had the original TD so I can't fully compare. What I will say is that I have found the Sun light that comes with Terradome2 invaluable. Basically whenever I'm doing an outdoor scene where I want to control shadows, I use it, whether I'm using TD2 or not. Also if you are picking up TD2 the one explanation I would say is a must have is TerraLuna2. I love the various moon options it comes with, as well as the low level ambient light for making night scenes.

I think it is great they've made it available for DS. I can't really tell from the description what the improvements may be, unless they are to the water and atmospherics. Since they've made it Iray only it looks like, I can see where they could do some cool things with these for a PBR render engine that were just messier in Firefly. Which is again why I'd love to see a Superfly version of TD2,

They may not have 'ruled it out' but this line from the TD3 product page makes me doubtful

Thanks for sharing the link. I'll keep an eye out for those shaders as they look good. And I would love to be wrong about Daz not putting out new stuff for Poser, but I'm not optimistic.
Again, just trying to be fair, I don't think it's been ruled out. They did say they've been working on the DS version for over six months, and the also said they practically had to rework it from the ground up to get things working in DS. It makes no sense to kill half your profit stream by not working on the Poser version unless you think DAZ told them not to.

Willowisp

Adventurous
Pretty sure Daz doesn't dictate what software you must make for. What other vendors might persuade you to do, now that is another matter.. Most vendors report that Poser is a rapidly dwindling market, and if you're in it for the money, then logic dictates you make for Studio only. Judging by what former RDNA vendors have been releasing lately, i don't hold much hope that they will create for Poser again. It makes me sad :(