• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Runtime DNA merges with DAZ 3D

RDNA did answer my help ticket so I have been able to access my downloads. Now to get working on the downloads with my glacial internet speed.

Hornet3d

Wise
Glad you got it sorted even though it looks as though you still have some work ahead of you.

I keep all my downloads, and my runtimes backed up, for OS problems I have a clone of the C drive which I keep updated. I know it is too late this time around but as quietrob has stated not all of the RDNA files are making it to DAZ so it might be a wise precaution to back up what you do manage to download.

quietrob

Extraordinary
Yes, I have been in Brazil since 2011. :)

Excellent!! How do you like having the Olympics? Are you near the action? Are you heading to the Olympic Village? We had it where I live way back in the 80's and it was amazing to have the world over for dinner. Heck, even our freeways became amazing because everyone rideshared to make sure there was no traffic for the Olympians to get from place to place.

I know it has nothing to with the merger that no one liked except those that owned DAZ and RDNA but still how do you having the world stay in Rio for the next two weeks?

P.S. The people doing the Samba are amazing.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
I think the games are doing well, all things considered. I don't have a TV set, so I am not following the progress. I am over a thousand miles away from the games, so nothing major is happening here. Personally, I believe most of the people was against hosting the games in the current political context, but the communist leader who took the decision was not known for being democratic. As a matter of fact, she is currently under trial by the senate, and most likely will be arrested afterwards, along with the former president, who was one of the founders of the communist movement in all South America. Many of their minions have already been arrested by the feds. The story is so fantastical that Netflix is producing an upcoming TV series about it. It's almost surreal that the Olympic games are happening right in the middle of it. It's a textbook case where reality is stranger than fiction. LOL

quietrob

Extraordinary
That must be surreal. There was a quick mention of it during the opening ceremonies but anything negative has mostly been about the Russian team and their use of drugs in choosing medals over morals. As an american who believes in self determination I find communism counter productive to that belief. Yet, I tell you now there are fewer things better than hosting the Olympics. To see the people in most countries are pretty much just like us (if given a chance). In the opening ceremony the decision to show that slavery was part of the Brazilian experience was something I applaud. It was something that was overlooked the last the US held the Olympics in Atlanta. Political upheaval is something we haven't truly experienced here since I was a little boy when the president (whom I respected) was forced to resign.

Samba aside, Prices skyrocket when communists are in control due to corruption. How much does Poser cost over there? (see how I'm working it back to the title thread?)

Oh and that Netflix series is something I won't miss!

Hornet3d

Wise
I have strong views on the Olympics but this is the wrong place to discuss them. I do find it slightly ironic though that this thread came back alive due to an 'enforced' update of Windows 10. The appearance of Windows 10, and it's restrictions, has me think hard about my computing future and, for me at least, it is having a larger impact than RDNA merging with Daz, much as I disliked it at the time.

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Having just experienced hosting the Democratic National Convention (and accompanying protests) ... well, not me personally! I can only think with horror were the Olympics hosted here! Not a word had been said of the street closures around City Hall ... which included the sections of Broad Street in front of my office building and along the first few blocks of my commute. Which resulted in it taking an hour to get a mile away from my office. While we were all prepared for the street closures during the Pope's visit since all of Center City was locked down, as well as City Avenue which I live on, because he stayed a few blocks from where I live. The DNC was ... madness. Which was entirely aggravated with SEPTA having to pull 120 rail cars (a third of the fleet) before the convention because of a significant structural defect.

At least companies had the sense to close Thursday and Friday with the Pope's visit.

Living in Philadelphia has definitely worn me down. Things like this should be exciting, but it's a nightmare because the city can't even handle the size of its normal population.

quietrob

Extraordinary
I have strong views on the Olympics but this is the wrong place to discuss them. I do find it slightly ironic though that this thread came back alive due to an 'enforced' update of Windows 10. The appearance of Windows 10, and it's restrictions, has me think hard about my computing future and, for me at least, it is having a larger impact than RDNA merging with Daz, much as I disliked it at the time.

Thinking hard about your computing future? What can we do? I started with a Timex Sinclair, moved to a Texas Instruments then a surprisingly strong Commodore 64 which literally melted down. I gave up fighting and joined the PC revolution as there was no viable alternative. Everything that runs must be either be Mac or Windows. All other attempts at an OS not made for a phone have come up short and therefore futile. (That should get some blood boiling, hmm?)

The best we can do is create restore points, manage your own updates and backups and pray that Itunes finds a way an easier way to add songs to your phones.

Hornet3d

Wise
Thinking hard about your computing future? What can we do? I started with a Timex Sinclair, moved to a Texas Instruments then a surprisingly strong Commodore 64 which literally melted down. I gave up fighting and joined the PC revolution as there was no viable alternative. Everything that runs must be either be Mac or Windows. All other attempts at an OS not made for a phone have come up short and therefore futile. (That should get some blood boiling, hmm?)

The best we can do is create restore points, manage your own updates and backups and pray that Itunes finds a way an easier way to add songs to your phones.

I have a fairly credible back up routine with 'C' drive clones and multiple back ups of pretty well everything. Since Windows 10 I have blocked all updates as I see Windows 10 as potentially as destructive as any virus that can find it's way onto my PC.

I have to admit to being no Apple fan but the prospect of me moving to Mac for my next PC seems to get more likely ever single day.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
I haven't upgraded to Win10, and have no plans to do so. Unfortunately, I really need a new laptop, but I'm looking into Linux, not Mac. My hesitation, though, is what distro to get as there are dozens, some of which have multiple "forks", so I can't decide which one to go with.

Luckily, most of them can be run off a thumb drive, so I can play with them before deciding which one to go with.

Hornet3d

Wise
I haven't upgraded to Win10, and have no plans to do so. Unfortunately, I really need a new laptop, but I'm looking into Linux, not Mac. My hesitation, though, is what distro to get as there are dozens, some of which have multiple "forks", so I can't decide which one to go with.

Luckily, most of them can be run off a thumb drive, so I can play with them before deciding which one to go with.

Linux was another route I was looking at but I don't have any experience in that area and while I build my own PCs I have to admit that most of the time I like to use a computer rather than trying to make the computer work. I would be really interested on how you get on with Linux as i have certainly not closed the door on that option.

Miss B

CV-BEE
If, and when, I decide on which distro to go with, I'll let you know how I fare. I did do some research a couple of months ago to see which, or I should say how many, 3D apps I use will work, and I was pleased to find out that all but Marvelous Designer seem to work fairly well. Obviously, some better than others, but still workable, which was encouraging.

Hornet3d

Wise
If, and when, I decide on which distro to go with, I'll let you know how I fare. I did do some research a couple of months ago to see which, or I should say how many, 3D apps I use will work, and I was pleased to find out that all but Marvelous Designer seem to work fairly well. Obviously, some better than others, but still workable, which was encouraging.

Thanks for that, and I am pleased to hear most of the 3D apps work. I never could get Marvelous Designer to work on my PC anyway so that is not an issue for me. It is only the 3D apps I am interested in really as for the rest of the stuff I do in the PC at the moment I am happy to move to a tablet, but not obviously the Surface.

David

Adventurous
Contributing Artist
@Miss B, I've been experimenting with Linux Mint. I was dabbling with Ubuntu for a while, but I like Mint so much better. I can't say exactly why but it feels more comfortable for me. I've not installed any of my 3d software, but just about everything else (game wise) I've installed has run well through Wine. I'm no expert by any definition, but Linux is where I'm going once my current Windows 7 machine gives up the ghost. I'm also introducing my kids to Linux, so the transition will (I hope) be painless. :) We'll see.

Miss B

CV-BEE
Yes David, a web design colleague of mine mentioned Mint 17.3. He also mentioned Mageia (don't remember the version though), and he didn't specifically like Ubuntu at all.

Miss B

CV-BEE
Thanks for that, and I am pleased to hear most of the 3D apps work. I never could get Marvelous Designer to work on my PC anyway so that is not an issue for me. It is only the 3D apps I am interested in really as for the rest of the stuff I do in the PC at the moment I am happy to move to a tablet, but not obviously the Surface.
Here's the Wine Database I found, where I was able to check out what they have to say about 3D software. Unfortunately, the Poser list didn't include Poser11, Standard or Pro. I guess it's a bit too new. Just click on the software name, and it'll take you to a page with rankings by version number. Hopefully you'll find good results for the software you use as well.

WineHQ Database 3D Applications