• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Requirements to sell clothes to Dawn and Dusk?

Lee Duva

Good morning everyone,my name is Lee Duva and I have some questions. I want to sell clothes here for Dawn and exclusively. My first question is how would I fit the clothes on Dawn and Dusk properly for sale? My second question is what kind of clothes can I sale? I mean I know Hivewired is a family friendly site. So lingerie and other sexually charge clothes are out. But are they the only ones not allowed? My third question is how low can I sell these clothes? I'm trying to sell at $3.50 is that okay for Hivewired? And my forth and final question is this. I been talking to some people in the fashion industry. That some of the clothes that I been selling is base on their product. If I get their permission that I could create digital clothes from their brand. Can I post link to their website? Thank you an advance for answering my question.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Welcome to the HiveWire forum Lee. I don't have enough experience with modeling clothes, I'm more a props person, so hopefully someone who has modeled, and sells, clothes for Dawn and Dusk would be able to answer your questions.

OK, I just pointed Alisa here, as she is our QAV team leader, and can respond to your questions better than I can. ;)

LisaB

HW3D Vice President & Queen Bee
Staff member
Co-Founder
Welcome to the Hive, @Lee Duva !

1. I'm not sure what you are using to model clothing but fitting the clothes to Dawn and Dusk is done in Poser or Daz Studio.

2. You can make clothing that is sexy such as lingerie, however it must be tastefully done and PG 13. We will not accept clothing that is sexual in nature. There is a difference between sexual and sexy. Here are some guidelines that may help you Guidelines for Submitting Content for Sale at Hivewire 3D

3. The price will depend on the clothing item. All products will need to go through our Quality Assurance Verification process before they will be offered for sale. We will discuss pricing strategies with you in that process.

4. It is your responsibility to get permission for designs that are copyrighted or trademarked by someone else. You can certainly link to their web site in your ReadMe file that comes with your final product. I am not sure that we would link to it from the product page.

I hope that helps!

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Thanks for stepping in Traci and Lisa. Those tidbits of information (and the link to Lyrra's book), should be good starting points.

eclark1894

Visionary

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Welcome to the Hive Lee...

Which modeling program do you use and which rendering studio? The answers to that will allow us to give you more info specific to your needs. For example if your using a program like Zbrush there is a bridge with both programs but there is only a bridge to DS for Hexagon. There are tricks to doing it without any issues too. Clothing is a little more complex than creating props as you have to fit the clothing to the figure and it requires getting Dawn/Dusk into your modeling program so you can use it to fit the clothing.

@Earl, Esha has a two part tutorial on rigging in DS on the 20th and 21st. There is a link to it in the Webinar thread. It's supposed to include everything you need to know.

Last edited:

Lee Duva

Welcome to the HiveWire forum Lee. I don't have enough experience with modeling clothes, I'm more a props person, so hopefully someone who has modeled, and sells, clothes for Dawn and Dusk would be able to answer your questions.

OK, I just pointed Alisa here, as she is our QAV team leader, and can respond to your questions better than I can. ;)
Thank you Miss B! Sorry for the late response I receive no message on my email that I had a reply.

Lee Duva

Welcome to the Hive, @Lee Duva !

1. I'm not sure what you are using to model clothing but fitting the clothes to Dawn and Dusk is done in Poser or Daz Studio.

2. You can make clothing that is sexy such as lingerie, however it must be tastefully done and PG 13. We will not accept clothing that is sexual in nature. There is a difference between sexual and sexy. Here are some guidelines that may help you Guidelines for Submitting Content for Sale at Hivewire 3D

3. The price will depend on the clothing item. All products will need to go through our Quality Assurance Verification process before they will be offered for sale. We will discuss pricing strategies with you in that process.

4. It is your responsibility to get permission for designs that are copyrighted or trademarked by someone else. You can certainly link to their web site in your ReadMe file that comes with your final product. I am not sure that we would link to it from the product page.

I hope that helps!

1. I understand.
2. Thank you for answering my question. Also the guideline was what I was looking for I don't know how I missed it.
3. I see. I have no issue on that.
4. I'm planning on getting permission on all design that does not belong to me. What I was trying to say this. For example let say I obtain permission and proof. That I can make and sell timberland boots. I was thinking something as a link to their website on the product page. But I have no problem putting on the Readme file. An yes your answer did help.

Lee Duva

Welcome to the Hive Lee...

Which modeling program do you use and which rendering studio? The answers to that will allow us to give you more info specific to your needs. For example if your using a program like Zbrush there is a bridge with both programs but there is only a bridge to DS for Hexagon. There are tricks to doing it without any issues to. Clothing is a little more complex than creating props as you have to fit the clothing to the figure and it requires getting Dawn/Dusk into your modeling program so you can use it to fit the clothing.

@Earl, Esha has a two part tutorial on rigging in DS on the 20th and 21st. There is a link to it in the Webinar thread. It's supposed to include everything you need to know.
My Partner and I are using 3DS Max 2016. I am planning on Learning Substance Painter for texturing and planning on getting Marvelous Designer 6.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
That's very cool...unfortunately I don't have 3DS Max so I have no idea how to get Dawn into it to create clothing for her. From what I do know it should use object files as well as 3DS and max files so that would probably be the easiest way to try first.

Which program do you plan to use to set the clothing up initially? Poser or DS? Depending on which program you're planning on using the advice would vary as they are slightly different in how you go about it. I can help if you're planning on using DS at least in the early stages. I'm not an expert and I'm still learning to rig for DS myself but happy to get you started with the basics.

Lee Duva

That's very cool...unfortunately I don't have 3DS Max so I have no idea how to get Dawn into it to create clothing for her. From what I do know it should use object files as well as 3DS and max files so that would probably be the easiest way to try first.

Which program do you plan to use to set the clothing up initially? Poser or DS? Depending on which program you're planning on using the advice would vary as they are slightly different in how you go about it. I can help if you're planning on using DS at least in the early stages. I'm not an expert and I'm still learning to rig for DS myself but happy to get you started with the basics.

Daz first since I don't have poser pro 11 yet. Once I get Poser 11 pro then I start making clothes for it. Some exclusive for poser.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Okay...DS I can help you get started with once you have something to try and rig.

I'm not sure what scale is best for DS to Max. Just quickly checked and there is a 3DS max scale option when exporting to object.

In which case to get Dawn(or which ever figure you wish to use into an object for Max):

1. Load Dawn SE in DS
2. In the parameters tab under Mesh Resolution reduce the SubDivision level to 0. This is important if you do any morph work and I've also been told it's best to fit clothing to this level also. Someone else may know more about this than me though.
3. Go to File/Export a save file dialogue will pop up. Choose a location that will be easy for you to find at a later date.
Name your file Dawn object and change file type to object. There is also an option to export to Autodesk FBX(at least I have it, though it could be a separate product I've bought at some point). Click save and a new dialogue will pop up.

4. Change the To from Daz Studio to 3DS Max. It should work without changing any of the default selected items so just click accept.

I would imagine in 3DS that it's a case of importing the object. Let me know how you go...

Edit to add: When you have something to load back into DS remember to use the 3DS max scale. Let me know when you get to that point if you want assistance.

Lee Duva

Okay...DS I can help you get started with once you have something to try and rig.

I'm not sure what scale is best for DS to Max. Just quickly checked and there is a 3DS max scale option when exporting to object.

In which case to get Dawn(or which ever figure you wish to use into an object for Max):

1. Load Dawn SE in DS
2. In the parameters tab under Mesh Resolution reduce the SubDivision level to 0. This is important if you do any morph work and I've also been told it's best to fit clothing to this level also. Someone else may know more about this than me though.
3. Go to File/Export a save file dialogue will pop up. Choose a location that will be easy for you to find at a later date.
Name your file Dawn object and change file type to object. There is also an option to export to Autodesk FBX(at least I have it, though it could be a separate product I've bought at some point). Click save and a new dialogue will pop up.

4. Change the To from Daz Studio to 3DS Max. It should work without changing any of the default selected items so just click accept.

I would imagine in 3DS that it's a case of importing the object. Let me know how you go...

Edit to add: When you have something to load back into DS remember to use the 3DS max scale. Let me know when you get to that point if you want assistance.

Thank you! My partner and I will give this a try!