• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Poser sold to Rendo

eclark1894

Visionary
I've noticed with a lot of posts by folks on the Renderosity forum who are having issues, they're installing Poser into Windows > Program Files. I stopped installing ANY software where I can choose the installation location into Program Files when I left WinXP Pro behind.

IIRC, Microsoft changed things with Windows Vista (the UAC issue?), and most software, or at least the 3D apps I have, now place content in a My Documents folder, which is NOT where I want it. Soooo, I have two directories at the root of my C: drive called 2D applications and 3D applications. By installing Poser in the 3D Software directory, I can keep my Poser Runtime within the Poser main folder without having issues.

Granted, with Poser you can have your Runtimes anywhere, even on another drive, and since I started using the External Library to view my Runtimes with my browser, it doesn't matter that much, but I'm so used to this setup, I don't want to change it. I guess it's what you get used to, as long as it keeps working for you, that matters.

Actually, mine is in Users> Public Documents. But I've had no issues. Of course, I do HAVE a Windows folder, but Program Files is not in it.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
BTW, Python 2.7 is being officially retired (no longer supported) by January 1st, 2020, which is less than 3 months from now. Would Rendo keep using that version with Poser? If not, all of our existing Python scripts and plugins will stop working. Something to think about.

Hornet3d

Wise
I feel as @Satira Capriccio said about most of the complaints is likely the truth - especially after certain events of the last few months where I went out of my way to offer help and get answers and was dumped on for it.

I have never liked this activation feature/license manager and have been very vocal about it over the years, even back in the RuntimeDNA forums when I was an official Poser Ambassador. I lay the blame for it firmly at Smith Micro's feet. In fact when I reached out to them about those "Contingencies" they had regarding using my software in just this situation I was essentially told to go pound sand. This is not Rendo's fault and never was.

I feel Renderosity's Poser team has been very cooperative and helpful, especially when I emailed them directly. I have usually gotten an answer or information within a day, two over a weekend. Renderosity has offered everyone affected by the deactivation a free upgrade to the version of the software they will be supporting - this is more than other software companies may have done, and is very generous. I get updating may not appeal to everyone, but that it was offered free and solves the problem of the old software no longer activating means that they have not ignored the problem and have offered a viable solution.

Now, all of that being said - I can see how for some upgrading may not be immediately viable. I, for example, use a Graphics workstation that still runs Windows XP 64. Poser 2014 was the last version of Poser that would install and run on it (but was not officially supported on XP), Poser 11 will not even install. The workstation needs drivers, some of which are not supported in Windows 7, 8, or 10 so it is not a question of upgrading the OS it means I need a whole new machine. Additionally many of my peripherals (Flatbed Scanner, Photo-Printer, Dye-Sublination Printer, 250mb Zip drive for my old archives) do not even have drivers for Windows 7+ which means I would also need a new scanner, new printer, and lose access to my Zip archives. These are expenses that even were I not on fixed income due to disability would be hard to handle all at once. However, I know there is a copy of Poser 11 waiting for me when I can run it - and my situation can not be a common one.

I can see that the dropping of a 32bit versions has left some people in a difficult position but 32bit has not been around for a while. Same goes for versions of Windows as an OS, the support for XP has already been dropped and Windows 7 loses support in around 13 weeks. Banks here in the UK have already withdrawn on line banking support for XP and are saying they will be doing the same for Windows 7. In this world of trying to reduce stuff being thrown away doing just that to a still working computer seems wrong but then that is the price of technology to some degree.

Having backward compatibility is fine in principle but there are times when the world has just moved too far ahead. Sadly people will get left behind but I guess that is as inevitable as old age.

KageRyu

Lost Mad Soul
Contributing Artist
@Miss B you raise an excellent point regarding Windoze UAC - this will cause unending problems if Poser is installed to default Windows directories. This is not unique to Poser, and has been covered exhaustively in Microsoft support forums, tech guru sites, windows forums, etc...

Long Ago I made a habbit of partitioning my main drive and installing all of my important software (3d apps, graphics apps, video tools, sound tools) in a seperate partition. This way they were protected against loss if I needed to reinstall the OS, and in Windows 7 I do not have the stupid UAC interfering with editing or rearranging my folders. Additionally, I have noted on Windows 7, even with the Windows firewall disabled, if you do not make exceptions for components of Poser and it's library the firewall will interfere and Poser will throw errors ranging from missing content to a blank library - @Ken1171 this might be what you are experiencing? Granted I have only tested this on Poser 2012 and 2014 GD since my Win 7 machine is mainly a render node.

Hornet3d

Wise
I've noticed with a lot of posts by folks on the Renderosity forum who are having issues, they're installing Poser into Windows > Program Files. I stopped installing ANY software where I can choose the installation location into Program Files when I left WinXP Pro behind.

IIRC, Microsoft changed things with Windows Vista (the UAC issue?), and most software, or at least the 3D apps I have, now place content in a My Documents folder, which is NOT where I want it. Soooo, I have two directories at the root of my C: drive called 2D applications and 3D applications. By installing Poser in the 3D Software directory, I can keep my Poser Runtime within the Poser main folder without having issues.

Granted, with Poser you can have your Runtimes anywhere, even on another drive, and since I started using the External Library to view my Runtimes with my browser, it doesn't matter that much, but I'm so used to this setup, I don't want to change it. I guess it's what you get used to, as long as it keeps working for you, that matters.

All my runtimes are on a single drive, it is easier to back up that way. That said I let the installer do what it wanted but told it to use my existing preferences. The only change was a new Poser 11 runtime added to my list.

KageRyu

Lost Mad Soul
Contributing Artist
I can see that the dropping of a 32bit versions has left some people in a difficult position but 32bit has not been around for a while. Same goes for versions of Windows as an OS, the support for XP has already been dropped and Windows 7 loses support in around 13 weeks. Banks here in the UK have already withdrawn on line banking support for XP and are saying they will be doing the same for Windows 7. In this world of trying to reduce stuff being thrown away doing just that to a still working computer seems wrong but then that is the price of technology to some degree.

Having backward compatibility is fine in principle but there are times when the world has just moved too far ahead. Sadly people will get left behind but I guess that is as inevitable as old age.
Ugghh... my laptop is Win 7 and there is no way I can afford to replace it in the next few months... then again I saw this crunch I am in coming over a year ago...

tparo

Engaged
QAV-BEE
Yeah, I am certain the competition got tired of all the good press Bondware/Renderosity was getting and sent in some of their users. There are several "complainers" who are active and supportive DS users on their forum. Not really a surprise is it?

Some are legitimate (like Tiny's) but are straightened out almost immediately.

Oh please is that really neccasary. Any excuse to throw dirt at DS users and there you are. This is why I rarely use Poser and probably now won't bother upgrading if I have problems I wouldn't dare step foot in the Poser forums to ask for help. Your attitude really doesn't help Poser or Rendo at al;l I wonder if you realise how many you drive away.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
I've seen that happen with textures, and I often thought it was because I had my search set to Shallow, so it doesn't look everywhere each time. Whether that is the problem, I don't know.

Miss B

CV-BEE
Actually, mine is in Users> Public Documents.
I think it all depends on how the computer is set up. I have a Users > Public > Public Documents folder, but I also have a Users > missb > My Documents. I think the Public folder is for "anyone" using the computer. That comes in handy when it's a desktop which several members of a family may use. Mine is set up so My Documents, My Music, My Pictures, My Videos, etc. is only for my use.

Miss B

CV-BEE
BTW, Python 2.7 is being officially retired (no longer supported) by January 1st, 2020, which is less than 3 months from now. Would Rendo keep using that version with Poser? If not, all of our existing Python scripts and plugins will stop working. Something to think about.
I don't know if they'll keep using 2.7 indefinitely, but I can't see them jumping over to the new version immediately. Also, and I know this from experience with my web host updating their Python version, that I have yet to have a problem with any plugins, etc. written in Python that I may be using on any of my sites.

That said, it all depends on how large a change the new version will be. I don't know that it's totally rewritten with each and every update, so the switch to a new version of Python may not require a total rewrite of every script we use in Poser 11.2 going forward. Time will tell.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
Additionally, I have noted on Windows 7, even with the Windows firewall disabled, if you do not make exceptions for components of Poser and it's library the firewall will interfere and Poser will throw errors ranging from missing content to a blank library - @Ken1171 this might be what you are experiencing?

No, the issue with Poser getting lost with geometry and texture file locations is as old as Poser supporting multiple runtimes. It only remembers where files were last time you have used them. This is a problem with multiple runtimes because every time you use an item from a different one, Poser will think the next file will be in that location. Most likely it will not, so Poser gets confused.

I don't know if they'll keep using 2.7 indefinitely, but I can't see them jumping over to the new version immediately. Also, and I know this from experience with my web host updating their Python version, that I have yet to have a problem with any plugins, etc. written in Python that I may be using on any of my sites.

That said, it all depends on how large a change the new version will be. I don't know that it's totally rewritten with each and every update, so the switch to a new version of Python may not require a total rewrite of every script we use in Poser 11.2 going forward. Time will tell.

Python 3 was released in 2008, so we can't really call it "new". It has been around for 11 years. There are significant changes in the language syntax, so it will break existing Poser extensions if switched from 2 to 3. Python 2 is being officially retired by the end of this year, so that might put Poser in a tight spot, because most other programs have been transitioning to the current version through the last decade.

Miss B

CV-BEE
Well "new" could be the difference between 2.7 and 2.8 or 2.9. I don't keep notes as to what the newest version of Python is, but knowing how SM didn't really bother to keep Poser up-to-date, it's not surprising to me it hasn't already been transitioned to version 3.

That said, we don't know if the Bondware dev team isn't already transitioning it. It's possible they're doing it a bit at a time, and will be fully done by the end of the year, if not sooner. Again, only time will tell, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed it goes well.
FingersCrossed.png

KageRyu

Lost Mad Soul
Contributing Artist
No, the issue with Poser getting lost with geometry and texture file locations is as old as Poser supporting multiple runtimes. It only remembers where files were last time you have used them. This is a problem with multiple runtimes because every time you use an item from a different one, Poser will think the next file will be in that location. Most likely it will not, so Poser gets confused.
I have to say this isn't really behavior I have run into across multiple Poser versions (Poser 7/Pro, 2010, 2012, and 2014GD) and I have used Multiple runtimes since moving from P4 Pro Pack to 7. I tend to build complex scenes drawing from multiple runtimes too. Maybe I have been lucky as the only thing similar to this first manifested on my Windows 7 render machines.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
I have to say this isn't really behavior I have run into across multiple Poser versions (Poser 7/Pro, 2010, 2012, and 2014GD) and I have used Multiple runtimes since moving from P4 Pro Pack to 7. I tend to build complex scenes drawing from multiple runtimes too. Maybe I have been lucky as the only thing similar to this first manifested on my Windows 7 render machines.

I think it would be easier for me if Poser would simply ASK me where the files are instead of searching all over the place with brute force. I have 4 drives in this PC, where some are quite large (data storage), and it takes forever. I was forced to switch to "shallow" search, but a side effect is that I often have to tell Poser where things are. But one behavior that has happened consistently across Poser versions was that once it asks for a file location, it will keep asking for the location of all others - even if they are all in the same place. It doesn't care to look first, before asking.

Here again, if Poser would use meta-data when saving files, none of this would happen.

Miss B

CV-BEE
Ohhhhh, I have come across instances where it just pops a window in the folder it's looking at, and then if that happens, all I need to do is go to the proper folder to find the appropriate texture.

Needless to say, if this happens while I'm beta testing, then I check the paths to the texture(s) to make sure they're correct.

Janet

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist

Even Netherworks scripts? Oh geez I depend on those.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
Needless to say, if this happens while I'm beta testing, then I check the paths to the texture(s) to make sure they're correct.

Same here, but the most annoying thing is that it opens the search dialog on the right place for each of the remaining files, so I just have to press enter. One would assume that once it knows the right folder, it would stop asking. If an asset has 10 textures, it will ask 10 times over the same folder.

Even Netherworks scripts? Oh geez I depend on those.

It doesn't matter who made the script. Python 2 and 3 have different syntax for some operations. There are many online guides to help transitioning from version 2 to 3, but the code will have to be changed. The deadline for both Flash and Python 2.x is by the end of this year. Of course, Poser could keep using Python 2, since it ships with its own version pre-installed, but it won't be attractive for new Python programmers to get into it because nobody else will be using version 2 after December. This is significant since nearly all the guys who used to create Poser Python extensions have already retired.

Using Poser without the Camera Panel would be a major upset for me.

Yes, we are all in the same boat. :)