• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Poser sold to Rendo

Hornet3d

Wise
Geez, I am having so many crashes with Poser 11.2. It used to be so stable, and now it crashes by doing the simplest things, like editing a morph with the Morphing Tool, or just loading an asset from the library. When it freezes up for a few seconds, I already know it's going to crash. Frankly, I haven't seen Poser crashing this much in years. >___<

I will probably regret saying this but I am on 11.2.272 and I haven't had a crash yet and as you can see I have been using it quite a bit. One render I did recently had two Dawn figures and a M4 and craft, containers and bubble environments none of which were props all of them were figures 17 in total along with an environment with 4 lights and an atmosphere. I have to say it really pushed my system with the all the threads maxed out at 100% and no dips which is the norm. I really expected it to crash but didn't and while I stopped the render early it still ran for the best part of six hours.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Geez, I am having so many crashes with Poser 11.2. It used to be so stable, and now it crashes by doing the simplest things, like editing a morph with the Morphing Tool, or just loading an asset from the library. When it freezes up for a few seconds, I already know it's going to crash. Frankly, I haven't seen Poser crashing this much in years. >___<
I downloaded, but haven't installed, the latest download, so can't say . . . yet . . . whether it's the latest update that's causing your issues, or has this been happening for a while?

Glitterati3D

Dances with Bees
I'm on 11.2.289 and have been rigging for days and no crashes at all.

In fact, 11.2 has been stable for me all along with regard to crashes. The only problems I've encountered are with bad installers that go haywire but they were all beta versions that were corrected.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
Then maybe it's just me. It has been many years since I had this many Poser crashes. On my last render, I started Poser, loaded Dawn, and it crashed when I loaded the 3rd piece from the library. I restarted, and it crashed again when loading items from the library, or using the Morphing Tool. Seems rather random.

Conversely, I have recently upgraded Windows 10 to 1903, and a few programs have stopped working. I had to reinstall or tweak them a bit to get them back to working condition. I also had to downgrade my GeForce drivers from nVidia, because the current version crashes all Reallusion programs. Maybe these Poser crashes are a mix of all these things.

Miss B

CV-BEE
It wouldn't surprise me Ken. It's one of the reasons I'm holding off getting a new laptop, because I really, really, really don't want Windows 10. Unfortunately I've not worked with Linux, so not sure I'd be happy with it either. Decisions, decisions, decisions. ~shakes head~

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Honestly, I rather like Win 10. I've not ever had a problem with forced updates, and I've been given plenty of warning an update is ready and am given an opportunity to schedule the update.

It was a bit of a learning curve to get used to the start menu, but even that isn't all that objectionable in the end. Turns out, I don't mind having icons for the "pinned" programs in the start menu, especially as I'm able to group the icons into categories, and I don't have to have any icon pinned that I don't want pinned. If I were fanatical about having a clean desktop, it wouldn't bother me in the least to rely on the start menu pinned apps instead

As far as the privacy issue, unless you completely avoid any kind of internet activity, and ditch your cell phones, there is no privacy anymore. For that matter, you probably should cancel any kind of service with a telecom or cable company. And with all the security cameras, traffic cameras, spy satellites, and drones, everything you do is being recorded and observed.

Used to be you only had to worry about pervs with telescopes peering into your apartment (or pervs standing outside your windows). Now it's the government peering into every aspect of your life, whether online or out in public. Can't even move to some remote cave cut off from the rest of civilization. Especially, not if you've been an escaped fugitive for 17 years. A drone's gonna getcha!

Janet

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
It wouldn't surprise me Ken. It's one of the reasons I'm holding off getting a new laptop, because I really, really, really don't want Windows 10. Unfortunately I've not worked with Linux, so not sure I'd be happy with it either. Decisions, decisions, decisions. ~shakes head~

I was really resistant to switch to Windows 10. My son on the other hand downloaded it the day it was available and put it on all his devices. He really likes it.

Since I've been going through a laptop a year for the past 6 years it was forced on me. Now that I'm used to it I really like it.

Hornet3d

Wise

I used to hate Windows 10 with a vengeance, I tried Unix and liked it but I just could not get Poser 11 to work even using Wine it just would not get through the initial installation. If I just wanted to use a computer for browsing, listening to music, watching movies and writing the occasional note I would have stayed with Unix. When I had my latest computer built last year I really had no option to go with Windows 10 and a year on it has not been the horrific experience I expected. Admitted I use some software from Stardock to make if easy to use, such as 'fences' where I can keep a clean desktop but have some roll down windows that have related shout cuts, such as one with anything Poser related another system related and so on. Windows 10 has proved stable I had not had the issue with any of the updates and most the time it is just there in the background.

RobZhena

Adventurous
289 is stable for me, too. Just a wild idea: they may have done something that interacts at the system level in 272, because Mac OS 10 Mojave starting pinging on 32-bit code again, which had gone away. I understood that they had to roll back some changes that were causing UI problems. That’s still happening in 289.

Miss B

CV-BEE
If I were fanatical about having a clean desktop, it wouldn't bother me in the least to rely on the start menu pinned apps instead.
Now THAT is encouraging, because that's how my Win7Pro is set up. I HATE having more than a handful of icons along the bottom of my desktop, and those aren't ones I use all the time, other than the Recyle Bin. I prefer having any one of a number of 3D renders I've done, or downloaded, as my desktop.

I had heard there was a way to set up the Win10 Start menu like the Win7 Start menu, so if that's actually possible, I might not mind it. What makes me cringe is the Microsoft Surface look, which is how Win10 started out, and one of the reasons I hate the Opera browser, as that's how it's Start Page is set up. It doesn't allow you to set your own Start Page as Firefox does.

Janet

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
Now THAT is encouraging, because that's how my Win7Pro is set up. I HATE having more than a handful of icons along the bottom of my desktop, and those aren't ones I use all the time, other than the Recyle Bin. I prefer having any one of a number of 3D renders I've done, or downloaded, as my desktop.

I had heard there was a way to set up the Win10 Start menu like the Win7 Start menu, so if that's actually possible, I might not mind it. What makes me cringe is the Microsoft Surface look, which is how Win10 started out, and one of the reasons I hate the Opera browser, as that's how it's Start Page is set up. It doesn't allow you to set your own Start Page as Firefox does.

When I first had 10 I bought a little program for $5 that changed it to work just like 7. Can't find it now. But there is this:

How to Make Windows 10 Look and Feel Like Windows 7

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
Admitted I use some software from Stardock to make if easy to use, such as 'fences' where I can keep a clean desktop but have some roll down windows that have related shout cuts, such as one with anything Poser related another system related and so on.

I am a big fan of Fences. It's great to have a clean desktop, and organize my shortcuts in rolling down containers. I would had never heard of it if not for Humble Bundle. :)

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Other than the start menu, which lists all programs alphabetically (which is why pinning shortcuts is a great option), I don't really notice Win 10 looking or feeling all that different from Win 7. Microsoft changed that some time ago so your desktop can look like a desktop instead of groups of tiles all over your screen. You don't have to have windows look anything like Windows Surface. I don't even recall my Windows 10 having tiles.

Like I said, there is a learning curve with some things, like finding the Control Panel (which is really easily found by scrolling down the program list to the Windows System folder and looking inside that folder). Or if it's something you need access to often, just pin it.

This is what my start menu looks like with the alphabetical list of programs on the left and all my pinned shortcuts grouped on the right. I actually love the weather tile, so have it set to large. The rest of my pinned shortcuts are set to medium.

1570241024275.png

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Choosing Desktop or Tablet mode is in the Settings / Tablet Mode.

Use appropriate mode for my hardware may be the default. Which, since I have a desktop computer, the appropriate mode for my computer is ... desktop mode.

1570241689295.png

KageRyu

Lost Mad Soul
Contributing Artist
Then maybe it's just me. It has been many years since I had this many Poser crashes. On my last render, I started Poser, loaded Dawn, and it crashed when I loaded the 3rd piece from the library. I restarted, and it crashed again when loading items from the library, or using the Morphing Tool. Seems rather random.

Conversely, I have recently upgraded Windows 10 to 1903, and a few programs have stopped working. I had to reinstall or tweak them a bit to get them back to working condition. I also had to downgrade my GeForce drivers from nVidia, because the current version crashes all Reallusion programs. Maybe these Poser crashes are a mix of all these things.
This sounds a lot like what happened with my workstation before it died. It all started as stability issues in Poser2014GD - first on rendering, then on just loading content. This then began happening in all of my versions of Poser. Then some programs failed to run, others crashed, frequent reboots, then failing to complete several mem-tests...

I would urge running some mother board and memory diagnostics - you may have a more serious problem than program stability. It may not be too late too fix - by the time mine was found whatever had started it had burned out a memory stick and caused motherboard damage. I suspect it was my integrated graphics card at the heart of the failure since it started on renders and OGL modes in poser but I will never know for sure.

Hornet3d

Wise

I am a big fan of Fences. It's great to have a clean desktop, and organize my shortcuts in rolling down containers. I would had never heard of it if not for Humble Bundle. :)

I love the Stardock programs they work well and are relatively cheap. As well as 'Fences' the have 'Start10' that makes Windows 10 look like Windows 7 and I also use 'Multiplicity KM' which allows me to control two computers with one keyboard and mouse. I often use this to do on line banking, budget software and other process on my old machine while running Poser to do a render on new machine flicking from one machine to the other by just clicking the remote window on and off. The big benefit of this that I was able to leave my old software on my old machine and only install the minimum number of programs, such as Poser and Paint Shop Pro, on my new machine, saving time and disc space. They have other little programs which help with back up and personalising your desktop, best of all is you can either pick and chose the individual packages or get the bundle of ten by buying the 'Object Desktop'. I have been using Fences now for close on a year and I have to say I love working in such a clean a structured manner.

Hornet3d

Wise
This sounds a lot like what happened with my workstation before it died. It all started as stability issues in Poser2014GD - first on rendering, then on just loading content. This then began happening in all of my versions of Poser. Then some programs failed to run, others crashed, frequent reboots, then failing to complete several mem-tests...

I would urge running some mother board and memory diagnostics - you may have a more serious problem than program stability. It may not be too late too fix - by the time mine was found whatever had started it had burned out a memory stick and caused motherboard damage. I suspect it was my integrated graphics card at the heart of the failure since it started on renders and OGL modes in poser but I will never know for sure.

I remember a similar story being told in the Rendo forums a few years ago and that was traced to a failing SSD but then that was a few years ago and SSDs have moved on in leaps and bounds since then. Of course it is like having a illness, many different illnesses can have similar symptoms but I agree with you checking it out might be a good move. Early diagnosis can make the cure a lot easier.