• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Poser sold to Rendo

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
It looks interesting, but you need to join their site to read the entire article. I think I'll try and find the info elsewhere.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
Poser has already transitioned from Python 2.6 to 2.7 somewhere around Poser 7. I remember most scripts had to be modified to keep running, but that was a time when Poser still had many people actively making Python extensions. That is no longer the case now, where most of ShaderWorks extensions already malfunction in Poser 11, and he has already retired. NetherWorks is still around, but AFAIK, he has moved on to do something else somewhere else. And as we know, Dimension3D has passed away, and Phil Cook has retired. If new people will jump in, they will likely come from Python 3. It's not that hard to adapt 2.6 code to 3.x, but the guys who created the existing scripts are no longer doing it nowadays.

I don't remember this exactly, but I think Poser has already changed Python versions twice, breaking all existing scripts in the way. I wouldn't be totally surprised if they did it again, and on the bright side, that might attract more people if it adopts Python 3, since that has been the current version for 11 years now.

Semicharm

Eager
Yep, I put poser on a separate drive too. Some things are just too big for my windows drive. Most runtimes are too big for the that and go on another drive. That includes the main poser runtime. I didn't use most of it that often anyway.

I haven't had much of an issue with file prompts lately, as most new content has things in the right places. However older stuff is still a nightmare. Some content artists just dumped things wherever and left it to the user to sort it out. Adding the "deep" search option was a massive mistake, as artists treated it as an open license to be lazy while creating headaches for everyone else. I think most have gotten the memo by now to keep things in the right places. The actual organization within the library folder is still a mess though. Each store or even vendor has their own "standard". Then again, each user may have yet another. I certainly do. At least Poser stymied the chaos a bit by putting content for a specific figure under People\FigureName.

As for Python, I didn't realize just how old the version with Poser was. Scripts won't stop working just because of an arbitrary date, but it will cause headaches with any attempt to migrate forward. A possible kludge would be to have a statement or standard comment at the top of the file to load the Python3 interpreter, otherwise load the old one. That way all existing code will chug along as it always has while allowing support for newer versions. It's especially important because many vendors opted to use compiled .pyc files, making it impossible to update them without the original source code. Since many of the authors have retired, it's very unlikely they'll do it and no one else can either.

Hornet3d

Wise
I guess from another point of view this might be an area that Bondware might want to look at, after all if you are using something like Netherworks Camera Panel it is because you find that easier and more convenient to use than the default Poser camera controls. A revamp of the interface might make up for the loss of some scripts.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
I haven't had much of an issue with file prompts lately, as most new content has things in the right places.

Just for the record, the issues I have with Poser not finding files is related to using multiple external runtimes, and how that can confuse Poser. This is not related to contents with incorrect paths.

I am not sure Poser, or any program for that matter, could support more than 1 Python version. For once, how would it know which version the code is? This is why so many articles make a drama about upgrading - because the old code will stop working. It has happened twice to Poser already.

Semicharm

Eager
Just for the record, the issues I have with Poser not finding files is related to using multiple external runtimes, and how that can confuse Poser. This is not related to contents with incorrect paths.
I have at least five or six runtimes, all of them external, and search is set to "shallow". Poser sometimes gets confused if I move a file that's part of a project I'm working on, but otherwise I don't have much of a problem with file prompts.

I am not sure Poser, or any program for that matter, could support more than 1 Python version. For once, how would it know which version the code is? This is why so many articles make a drama about upgrading - because the old code will stop working. It has happened twice to Poser already.
Browsers support multiple versions of HTML, some even used different engines for older pages. The browser simply reads the header, generally the first line, and decides which engine to use. Python files don't have a formal header, but that doesn't mean one can't be arranged in a comment or some other means. As I previously stated, that would be a kludge, but it would avoid the headaches of jumping to a whole new version and breaking everything.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
@Semicharm It would be nice if multiple Python versions could be supported, but I doubt it. That would cause mayhem on the package dependencies. All programs I have seen so far support only one Python version, and specific to a particular sub-version.

Does this have to do with python?

No, I think this is related to Rendo's new version number formatting, which conflicts with some scripts created by Netherworks. Snarlygribbly has released a script that circumvents this issue by changing the Poser verson number back to how SMS used to format it. However, I still have a couple of scripts that won't run even with this, like the Magnet Toy. I am not sure why it doesn't work, but it might be related to changes Rendo did in 11.2.

No, I think this is related to Rendo's new version number formatting, which conflicts with some scripts created by Netherworks. Snarlygribbly has released a script that circumvents this issue by changing the Poser verson number back to how SMS used to format it. However, I still have a couple of scripts that won't run even with this, like the Magnet Toy. I am not sure why it doesn't work, but it might be related to changes Rendo did in 11.2.

The error message for Runtime Rodent shows that it is a permissions problem. The script needs to modify a file (poserStartup.py) which is on the C drive, in the Program Files folder, which is a folder normally protected by UAC in Windows. Poser needs to be run as an Administrator at least once for this the script to modify the file. The script is not affected by the version number change.

I have tested Magnet Toy in Poser 11.2 and it runs fine for me, in a completely unmodified, fresh install of Poser. Whatever the problem is, it's not been *directly* affected by Rendo's changes. Perhaps it has been affected indirectly, by moving/changing Runtime locations?

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
The error message for Runtime Rodent shows that it is a permissions problem. The script needs to modify a file (poserStartup.py) which is on the C drive, in the Program Files folder, which is a folder normally protected by UAC in Windows. Poser needs to be run as an Administrator at least once for this the script to modify the file. The script is not affected by the version number change.

I have tested Magnet Toy in Poser 11.2 and it runs fine for me, in a completely unmodified, fresh install of Poser. Whatever the problem is, it's not been *directly* affected by Rendo's changes. Perhaps it has been affected indirectly, by moving/changing Runtime locations?

Thanks for the clarification. It's great to hear you can run it in 11.2. I will try reinstalling Magnet Toy to see if that helps. :D

Miss B

CV-BEE
I think that's one of the few of Joe's goodies I don't have. I never learned how to do magnets, so wasn't inspired to get it.

willyb53

Motivated
Works fine for me :D

magnets.jpg

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
Problem with Magnet Toy was that after upgrading to 11.2, the applet was opening off-screen, so it appeared as if it didn't start. There is no way to drag something off-screen back into the visible area, so I went into the configuration file and changed its starting location. After restarting Poser, I can no see the Magnet Toy on screen again! :D

Miss B

CV-BEE
In case anyone's interested, Poser 11.2 has a new update as of yesterday. I just happened to notice it now, but wasn't sure how many folks here check for updates regularly.

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
I don't check for updates. Poser has notified me several times of updates being available. I just click ok ... whatever. Unless it's a Service Release to fix major problems, I doubt I'll download and install an update. Like Earl, I need incentive to download and update. Such as ... specific notes as to what an update is fixing or adding.

As long as my version of Poser is stable, I'm not messing with it.

Miss B

CV-BEE
Actually, if you click on the Content link, down at the bottom of that page where they have updates for Beta and Early Adopters, there's a text file with updates listed. Just click the link, and it'll open in your browser. You can't save it as is, so I just copy/paste it into a plain text file. Be aware, this is a list for the Beta and Early Adopter team, but it'll give you some idea of what's been worked on recently.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
I am still having TONs of crashes with 289, like I have never seen before since the times of Poser 6 (the "crash-master").