• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Poser sold to Rendo

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
As a solo artist, I have do all of my own promos.
Very true. There are a lot of successful vendors who are actually teams, and one may do the promos and possibly texturing of the project, and the other does the modeling and possibly poses, if there are any, so a solo artist, such as yourself, has to do it all yourself.

I just happen to believe there are those who only do promos for others. I believe there was a guy, many years ago, who did the promos for a few of the vendors at DAZ. Again, as I said, this was many years ago, so I don't know if he's still there, and doing promos for others.

Hornet3d

Wise
True, that's very frustrating. I find settings such as "focal" length, "hither" or even a small "scale" adustment to be useful in such situations as well.

Yes, they can be useful but in the case I mention they were of limited use and while focal length is useful there is a limit after which distortion in noticeable. Then again it was a few years ago and only one model as I never purchased anything else form the vendor so it could have been a one off.

Hornet3d

Wise
Often the renders produced by fellow artists is a good way of showing the value of a product and worth a good promo. That is why, way back when I had a presence in the Rendo gallery, I would link a render to the product page for the said item.

Semicharm

Eager
Yes, they can be useful but in the case I mention they were of limited use and while focal length is useful there is a limit after which distortion in noticeable. Then again it was a few years ago and only one model as I never purchased anything else form the vendor so it could have been a one off.
I usually have to change the focal length anyway, because the default seems off and makes it hard to work in smaller scenes. It's possible that the scale of the model itself was off too. Some artists don't pay much attention when they import it. Poser's inconsistent measurements over the years don't help much either. Nonetheless, there's little excuse for a commercial model to be that far off.

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
I've got to laugh at all the people saying that Poser MUST make Genesis 3 & 8 work in Poser, no people they don't, they are Daz model and if Daz wanted to make them compatible with Poser they would. Just like its Rendo's choice to make La Femme Poser only and HiveWire to make their models compatible with both (which I love by the way, thanks HW!).

Glitterati3D

Dances with Bees
And Jennifer Blake made that distinction official today:

As a rule, it is not up to the software creator to make a figure created by an outside party work in a specific software. It is always up to the creator of the figure to decide what programs a figure is, or is not, compatible with. As we decided to make La Femme work in Poser only, and HiveWire3D has decided to make their figures work in Poser and DazStudio. It is up to Daz to make the figures work or not work in Poser. That is not up to us. it is up to them.

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
haha, I bet she was frustrated with all the comments. I've seen it stated since day one that they took over.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
People asking for Genesis in Poser forgot to realize that Genesis is NOT just a figure, it's a platform. DAZ had to modify DS to make it work. It only works in DS version 4, which was written specifically to support this platform. Therefore asking Rendo to support it means modifying the PROGRAM to use proprietary technology that belongs to DAZ, which would be very unlikely to ever happen because the 2 companies are rivals. Even if Rendo managed to reverse-engineer this tech to make Genesis work in Poser, that would only end in a lawsuit.

Mythocentric

Extraordinary
I should think that she wasn't the only frustrated one Rae. It was disheartening to see the number of people who seemed to think Poser was about to become Daz's next big thing. Pretty much the same happened with LaFemme with all the complaints that she didn't work in DS. Not surprisingly, the same people didn't moan about Daz Genesis figures not working in Poser. I honestly think it's time they woke up (on both sides) and realised that they are two different beasts. As Glitterati (and Jenn Blake!) have pointed out. Personally, I would love to be able to use some of the clothing and structures made for Daz within Poser, but it's not going to happen without a big seachange in attitude. What bothers me is that Hivewire has already proved that compatibility is possible so why hasn't anyone else got the message yet?

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
I think LadyLittleFox made a few of her figures native to Poser and DS, but not anymore as far as I know. Maybe that makes sense now that she became a DAZ exclusive vendor. It was easier to support both programs when she was at RDNA, but now it's just DAZ. There is a pretty good chance that people who want native Poser products don't search for them at DAZ.

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
So glad to see the Genesis issue addressed! Couldn't be any more clear. Petition DAZ, not the Poser developers, to make Genesis work natively in Poser.

Not sure why people ever decided it was the responsibility of Smith Micro (and now Bondware/Renderosity) to make Genesis work in Poser. It's possible some people still don't understand Genesis isn't just a figure, but a platform, which is why the HiveWire DS version of Dawn, Dusk, etc., have the same functionality in DS as Genesis. (Not so oddly ... some people still don't understand Dawn, Dusk, Baby Luna work in DS ... just like the HiveWire animals do.)

There is a reason DAZ doesn't make a native to Poser version of Genesis. During the development of DS 4, DAZ had a thread asking what it would take to get Poser users to switch to DAZ Studio. No surprise that DAZ wanted Poser users to switch to DS.

It's not like companies don't try to get customers to switch from another company's product to their product. Happens all the time. What made it underhanded to some was that DAZ was a content provider ... the content provider for Poser in the minds of many. DAZ developing a "3D scene creation and rendering application" didn't suddenly make them no longer a content provider. Even now, they are first and foremost a content provider. It's just that now you have to use DS to use content that isn't so ancient it creaks.

With Genesis DAZ succeeded in getting customers to switch to DS from Poser.

They also lost others. But for every customer DAZ lost, there were plenty of new to 3D customers to take our place. It's not a limited/stagnant pool of people. Not as long as Pixar, Disney, Dreamworks, and others are making movies like Toy Story(s), Frozen(s), How to Train Your Dragon(s). Though, in my opinion, the best ever 3D animated movie was Up!

Gosh. I should never post after I've taken a nap. Then too ... I also shouldn't post after not sleeping. Actually ... my keyboard should be kept under lock and key.

M

Male-M3dia

I find the Poser talk about what DAZ must do interesting. Really they've done enough. Yes let's let the genesis in Poser talk die, Rendo has enough on their plate trying to figure out the 20+ year old code base with the programming docs in german to be worried about getting 3rd party figures. Besides a lot of vendors in DAZ aren't interested in supporting Poser even if Genesis was put in. DAZ vendors already done multiple textures for multiple programs and not interested in going back. We already have our workflows and don't really feel like adding to it. That's what several years of not doing poser stuff while Smith Micro ran the program into the ground will do.

Poser really is on their own, so let's see if Rendo can step to the plate.

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Don't think anyone could have said that part better. Not like it's NOT been obvious for years. (and, why I haven't spent any money at DAZ since 2013.)

Besides a lot of vendors in DAZ aren't interested in supporting Poser even if Genesis was put in.

M

Male-M3dia

Don't think anyone could have said that part better. Not like it's NOT been obvious for years. (and, why I haven't spent any money at DAZ since 2013.)

It's what the avid posers wanted. They wanted to go their own way.. so go ahead. Honestly we haven't missed the Poser money.. it wasn't much when we stopped supporting the program, but A lot of people are still stuck in 2011, whining about the split... time to move on people. Like some of these commenters said, "If you want to use Genesis, use DAZ Studio".. your wish was granted. Can't be mad at that.

M

Male-M3dia

And that's pretty much why Smith Micro sold the program, huh? Users telling people to go use competing software instead of trying to work together. That 1st quarter report SM showed making only $264K pretty much sealed the deal. That's not even payroll.

Mythocentric

Extraordinary
How quickly this is descending into the old us versus them scenario.

"It's what the avid posers wanted" Didn't the avid DAZ users want it as well?

"A lot of people are still stuck in 2011, whining about the split... time to move on people." Yes, it is, so why keep bringing it up ad nauseum. No doubt every one of us has heard all the crap, all the lies and all the stale rhetoric from people who are so biased their minds can no longer admit that there are two sides to every story. I personally couldn't give a monkey's about which side of the fence you stand on. If you can't get over the fact that it's well past time for that fence to come down then honestly I don't think you have any valid opinion to offer. Certainly not one which can offer fresh insights into the subject. Time to move on? Yes, it is, so please let's try to do it without stabbing each other in the backs this time. You never know. We might all surprise ourselves and discover a fresh outlook!

M

Male-M3dia

How quickly this is descending into the old us versus them scenario.

"A lot of people are still stuck in 2011, whining about the split... time to move on people." Yes, it is, so why keep bringing it up ad nauseum. No doubt every one of us has heard all the crap, all the lies and all the stale rhetoric from people who are so biased their minds can no longer admit that there are two sides to every story. I personally couldn't give a monkey's about which side of the fence you stand on. If you can't get over the fact that it's well past time for that fence to come down then honestly I don't think you have any valid opinion to offer. Certainly not one which can offer fresh insights into the subject. Time to move on? Yes, it is, so please let's try to do it without stabbing each other in the backs this time. You never know. We might all surprise ourselves and discover a fresh outlook!

That's what I'm saying looking at this convo before I jumped in. Why even bring it up? Let rendo try to figure out the code and see if they can do better with it than the Portugal team. Don't put the cart before the horse and get into these wish lists and fights over third party figures. It's futile until they get a handle on putting out a bug fix, since they're a company that sells website software, not graphics.

M

Male-M3dia

No. They already had the figure.

That's why I said this is the same whining from 2011.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
OK, folks. This started out as a very positive thread and I, for one, would like to see it return to being a positive thread, so can we all take a deep breath, step back and calm down? I really don't want to have to lock this thread to further posts, but if I need to, I will.

So please, if necessary, walk away and leave this discussion to get back to what the original poster wanted it to be . . . good news about Renderosity purchasing Poser.