• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Poser sold to Rendo

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
I know for a fact that some vendors get others to do their promos (or at least some of them to add variety) since I've done some :)
Also promo art should be quite different to your normal art as it should focus on the product, I really hate promo art that you look at and say, "now what is that selling?"

Ohh Miss B, now there are some names you want on board! :D

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Ohh Miss B, now there are some names you want on board! :D
DEFINITELY!! Actually, I can think of one or two more, but I don't know if they're still available. One of them used to do a number of the Poser tutorials Renderosity has on their site.

Riccardo

Adventurous
By the way, I am pretty sure that not every vendor makes all his own renders by himself and no rules states he should do it. Never thought the contrary

Riccardo

Adventurous
Conversely, I remember people claiming they couldn't get their own renders to look anything like the promos from certain stores, and that was frustrating to them. That used to be a prevailing situation for years, until people understood that's just how it is. Besides, some stores have more cash to spend on advertisement, and some don't, and that's a fact of life. Like it was said above, pretty doesn't mean better.
This is interesting,@Ken1171 . In fact, the first times I went through the Hivewire store, I wondered if the more "basic" promo feel I got was a deliberate choice by the staff to show the user what he will REALLY get, clarifying that an "artistic" promo will need a lot more efforts. Expert people will know that a good promo does not guarantee a good model and so on, but other users could choose on that basis. I am not saying this is the right way to choose, of course. How is the old saying? Never judge a book by its cover?

Riccardo

Adventurous
To a large degree I agree with what you are saying and some customers need to take a leap of faith to find the true value of products but then, looking at the history of Dawn most people here are happy to pay their money knowing that it will be spent well here, stunning promos or not.
I know @Hornet3d . What I am saying is not about the people around here who know the quality of The hivewire owners' work. It is the external and potential new customer that could make the mistake to only buy a model with a stunning promo, only to find that such a result is not given just by the model itself...

Nod

Adventurous
I am kind of curious of what happened. I have Poser 11 Pro and 10 Pro GD and use them both in a regular basis. So far I haven't noticed any issues with licenses locking me out, except once last month when internet connection dropped and I couldn't launch Poser for a little while. Internet has dropped over the years, and that was the only time this has ever happened to me. Maybe I was lucky? My multiple Poser versions licenses seem to be still working alright.
If you've not had to reinstall, there won't be a problem. I had to reformat my laptop the other day, that's how I noticed. It's still running happily away on my mega beast.

Nod

Adventurous
Sadly, if you follow the last few days news, it looks as those who are either elected to govern us in the UK or those that support them have no such moral compass

Think how folk in Scotland are feeling? Voted for Remain, but are getting dragged out anyway! So much for a union of equals?!

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
We are building a tech advisory board and inviting some recognizable faces (or names at least) to join. Don't be surprised if Chuck "Nerd3D" Taylor, Larry Weinberg, Ted "bagginsbill" Czotter, or Stephan Werner make an appearance. (emphasis added)
We are currently producing automated builds for Windows 64-bit on a regular basis and will soon be sending out invites to beta testers.
More soon ..."

YAY! Nobody knows Poser better than Larry! If anyone, he should certainly be there for consulting before people stomp in and break things like it was happening with the last SMS dev team. If Chuck Taylor could join as product manager, maybe we could have that huge push Poser development was having back in 2016, where basically ALL of the Poser 11 service releases were made. He was not only pushing Poser forward in a crazy pace, but also inviting and involving the community into it by organizing events and webinars. I miss that part.

This is interesting,@Ken1171 . In fact, the first times I went through the Hivewire store, I wondered if the more "basic" promo feel I got was a deliberate choice by the staff to show the user what he will REALLY get, clarifying that an "artistic" promo will need a lot more efforts. Expert people will know that a good promo does not guarantee a good model and so on, but other users could choose on that basis. I am not saying this is the right way to choose, of course. How is the old saying? Never judge a book by its cover?

I know what you mean - the promos are what customers see, and it's all they know before buying. Personally, I am not very sure about my own promos. I am an artist, but promos are a different kind of art. I can't do in promos what I do in my gallery, which is part of the reason why I loath if so much. It's more about selling the product (marketing) than "art", and not everyone has training on that. As far as I can tell, it's the vendors who do their own promos here at HW, and to each their own. That's why the promos quality varies so much here. We don't have that kind of "uniformity" we see in some other stores, which I think it's a good thing - more personal and "down to Earth".

If you've not had to reinstall, there won't be a problem. I had to reformat my laptop the other day, that's how I noticed. It's still running happily away on my mega beast.

Yes, I think I was one of the lucky ones. I understand this affects those who had Poser installed in more than 1 computer, which wasn't my case. My other machines don't have the power to do 3D.

Mythocentric

Extraordinary
Excellent news and hopefully something Rendo will push through! It's been a long time coming but it looks like Poser is going to defy all the detractors and self-appointed experts by having a future after all! More power to Rendo!

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
People don't have to do their own promos, its just that HW doesn't have their own promo team to do them.
I think I recall looking through Rendo's site and they had a team but you had to pay for it if I recall. I'm not sure about Daz but it wouldn't surprise me.

If vendors don't think their stuff is up to scratch, they could always approach an artist they know and like to see if they would be willing. Some will say no, others will say yes if you pay me and other would just like the product to keep in exchange for the promos. Never hurts to ask unless you take rejection easily.

Nod

Adventurous
Yes, I think I was one of the lucky ones. I understand this affects those who had Poser installed in more than 1 computer, which wasn't my case. My other machines don't have the power to do 3D.
The fact that I didn't know that you had to disable it on old machines didn't help. :laugh: I've upgraded my mega beast once and had a couple of HP laptops which developed faults after a few months.
At least with ZBrush, I can do it via the website.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
The fact that I didn't know that you had to disable it on old machines didn't help. :laugh: I've upgraded my mega beast once and had a couple of HP laptops which developed faults after a few months.
At least with ZBrush, I can do it via the website.

Most of my licenses activation from all sorts of software can be toggled on/off at the maker's website. This has become more or less a standard people expect to have nowadays. Examples are Corel, Ashampoo, Autodesk, Adobe, and many others. I can go into my account and manage licenses at any time. I can even track activations in individual devices, if the license allows multiple activations. Maybe it's time for Poser to get to nowadays standards.

Semicharm

Eager
I know what you mean - the promos are what customers see, and it's all they know before buying. Personally, I am not very sure about my own promos. I am an artist, but promos are a different kind of art. I can't do in promos what I do in my gallery, which is part of the reason why I loath if so much. It's more about selling the product (marketing) than "art", and not everyone has training on that. As far as I can tell, it's the vendors who do their own promos here at HW, and to each their own. That's why the promos quality varies so much here. We don't have that kind of "uniformity" we see in some other stores, which I think it's a good thing - more personal and "down to Earth".
As a solo artist, I have do all of my own promos. Going in, I had no idea what I was doing. I simply learned by studying promos for similar items that had styles I liked and felt would suit a particular project. Then, I had to figure out how to emulate that. For each project, I'd try a different theme. Trial and error, and lots of practice.

Hornet3d

Wise
OK folks, I just read the latest Renderosity Newsletter sent out today, and in it was a link to an article entitled "Here's what the Poser team has been working on . . ."

The last section of the article states, and I quote:

"What we are doing for the future

One of our key goals has been to get the band back together.

We are building a tech advisory board and inviting some recognizable faces (or names at least) to join. Don't be surprised if Chuck "Nerd3D" Taylor, Larry Weinberg, Ted "bagginsbill" Czotter, or Stephan Werner make an appearance. (emphasis added)

We are currently producing automated builds for Windows 64-bit on a regular basis and will soon be sending out invites to beta testers.

More soon ..."
Now if THAT isn't encouraging, I don't know what is!! :snoopydance::snoopydances::squee:

I would not be surprised but I would be very thankful if any or all of those names appeared.

Hornet3d

Wise
Most of my licenses activation from all sorts of software can be toggled on/off at the maker's website. This has become more or less a standard people expect to have nowadays. Examples are Corel, Ashampoo, Autodesk, Adobe, and many others. I can go into my account and manage licenses at any time. I can even track activations in individual devices, if the license allows multiple activations. Maybe it's time for Poser to get to nowadays standards.

I accept that this type of activation has become a fact of life, it works for me with Vue and Octane it is just the introduction was not as transparent as it should have been the the implementation seems cumbersome.

Hornet3d

Wise
I know @Hornet3d . What I am saying is not about the people around here who know the quality of The hivewire owners' work. It is the external and potential new customer that could make the mistake to only buy a model with a stunning promo, only to find that such a result is not given just by the model itself...

I take your point and it is really all part of the learning curve no matter what software you use. In the past I have purchased products with great promos only to find the it is unusable. Like the building prop I found to be one single object and it was almost impossible to do an internal scene as none of the walls could be made invisible (well not without playing with the materials) and thus unable to get a good camera angle. On the other hand there was a character for V4 some years ago, in another marketplace, where the promo was so bad it looked way over priced. Some years later I purchased the character when on sale and it was so good I would have paid full price a lot earlier had I have known.

In the end there I think you end up with a list of vendors you like and trust and you happily buy their creations because of who they are, not what the renders necessarily look like. Most of those on my list are all vendors here at Hivewire.

Hornet3d

Wise
Think how folk in Scotland are feeling? Voted for Remain, but are getting dragged out anyway! So much for a union of equals?!

I do but I just don't see they would get a better deal in the EU as the will not vote on what is fair for Scotland but on the implications of any deal with Scotland will will have on other regions in the EU. Talk about being between a rock and a hard place. Still getting a little be too political so I will bow out at that point.

Semicharm

Eager
I take your point and it is really all part of the learning curve no matter what software you use. In the past I have purchased products with great promos only to find the it is unusable. Like the building prop I found to be one single object and it was almost impossible to do an internal scene as none of the walls could be made invisible (well not without playing with the materials) and thus unable to get a good camera angle.
True, that's very frustrating. I find settings such as "focal" length, "hither" or even a small "scale" adustment to be useful in such situations as well.