• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Poser sold to Rendo

Nod

Adventurous
The more I think about this the more I think it's going to be great for Poser. Since moving my Millennium products to Renderosity I've site mailed Jenn Blake about five times. She really responsive and accessible. Isn't she CEO of Rendo?

That's right Napalm, they will probably add a lot of cool content too.
I've no idea if she is, but she replied to me and got me sorted within hours, after I couldn't reinstall Poser on my Laptop, due to the serial number no longer being valid, as it had transferred to Rendo.

Nod

Adventurous
The transfer of stuff from Content Paradise probably was a sign of a larger shift between the two. This at least makes La Femme a 1st party figure now. Will she end up in the main runtime install with Roxie and Pauline? My biggest concern is about how they are going to manage the licenses and updates.
As I've already said, I got sorted pretty quickly with my license problem, so I don't think it should be an issue for anyone else.
I've been a Poser and Carrara user for years and have never had any trouble when they've changed hands.

Nod

Adventurous
Yeah, Ken, I think the first chore is going to be to roll back the latest update (build 35540) to Build 35510. The Portugal programmers screwed up conforming in that 35540 build.

Frankly, their updates were a complete disaster.
I have the 35510 build on my mega beast, and the 35540 build on my laptop, as I had to reinstall everything after reformatting it. I tend to use the laptop to set up scenes and test textures, etc., which I've created though.

Glitterati3D

Dances with Bees
I have the 35510 build on my mega beast, and the 35540 build on my laptop, as I had to reinstall everything after reformatting it. I tend to use the laptop to set up scenes and test textures, etc., which I've created though.

They got it all sorted, so both builds should be fine.

Reactions: Nod

Hornet3d

Wise
I think, and this is just my estimation from posts I've seen on various forums over the years, but there are some vendors in other stores who have others do their promo renders for them. There's no hard and set rule that I'm aware of which says the promo images have to be done by the vendor(s) who created the product.

Over forty years ago I signed the official secrets act I believe that the restrictions on the act will follow me to the grave. That said I worked on a telephone support line where confidentially was paramount but I cannot remember signing anything like an NDA it was just a give. Despite the lack of and NDA everything I heard and discussed during my time there will also follow me to the grave. Sadly, if you follow the last few days news, it looks as those who are either elected to govern us in the UK or those that support them have no such moral compass

Hornet3d

Wise
The quality of the models on Hivewire is as good as in the other top stores, but there is one thing that I think could keep some users from trying some products here: promo images often have a different feel from those of the other stores; they often look "older" or of a lower quality. So, some people may think that the models here also actually are lower quality. At least this is my perception,.

As with many marketplaces there is a large range of quality when it comes to promo quality. I find some of the promos here actually stunning while I accept others are more run of the mill. There is a further point though, in that the prices here are well below those seen where the promos are of a much better standard. Also many of the products include items rarely seen in a single package elsewhere but you have to look behind the pictures. Hivewire, I believe has built, and continues to build, a name for quality and I think that is only strengthened by the vendors who sell here. I have yet to buy a product from Hivewire that does not work but I cannot say the same for a much larger marketplace with some stunning promos and I am not talking about just one product.

To a large degree I agree with what you are saying and some customers need to take a leap of faith to find the true value of products but then, looking at the history of Dawn most people here are happy to pay their money knowing that it will be spent well here, stunning promos or not.

If I had a complaint it would be that there is not enough for me to spent my money on here but I understand Hivewire is a small team and there are only a few vendors but that is changing slowly and it least I can buy all I want at the moment and my wish list remains small

Hornet3d

Wise
As I've already said, I got sorted pretty quickly with my license problem, so I don't think it should be an issue for anyone else.
I've been a Poser and Carrara user for years and have never had any trouble when they've changed hands.

I am really glad to hear that it was sorted so easily for you. The fear of what would happen if Poser was sold has been there ever since the deactivation feature was quietly add the the Game Dev version so this has nothing to do with Rendo in that sense. Nice to see they appear to be on top of it.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
I am really glad to hear that it was sorted so easily for you. The fear of what would happen if Poser was sold has been there ever since the deactivation feature was quietly add the the Game Dev version so this has nothing to do with Rendo in that sense. Nice to see they appear to be on top of it.

I am kind of curious of what happened. I have Poser 11 Pro and 10 Pro GD and use them both in a regular basis. So far I haven't noticed any issues with licenses locking me out, except once last month when internet connection dropped and I couldn't launch Poser for a little while. Internet has dropped over the years, and that was the only time this has ever happened to me. Maybe I was lucky? My multiple Poser versions licenses seem to be still working alright.

The quality of the models on Hivewire is as good as in the other top stores, but there is one thing that I think could keep some users from trying some products here: promo images often have a different feel from those of the other stores; they often look "older" or of a lower quality. So, some people may think that the models here also actually are lower quality. At least this is my perception,

Conversely, I remember people claiming they couldn't get their own renders to look anything like the promos from certain stores, and that was frustrating to them. That used to be a prevailing situation for years, until people understood that's just how it is. Besides, some stores have more cash to spend on advertisement, and some don't, and that's a fact of life. Like it was said above, pretty doesn't mean better. More recently, I have purchased some Dawn products at Rendo, and noticed QAV used to be more strict when I was a vendor there than it is today. The body morph doesn't work in some poses, and that wouldn't pass QAV here at HW, no matter how pretty the promos might be. Based on experiences like that over the years, I feel more confident buying here than anywhere else.

I think, and this is just my estimation from posts I've seen on various forums over the years, but there are some vendors in other stores who have others do their promo renders for them. There's no hard and set rule that I'm aware of which says the promo images have to be done by the vendor(s) who created the product.

Now that you've mentioned it, I have that impression as well. Each vendor, as an artist, have their own art style, but the promos on certain stores seem too "uniform", as if all done by the same people. It is rather unlikely that all these different people would happen to make promos using the same camera, framing and lighting styles. The "normal" would be for each to have a different way of rendering scenes. So much that some people claim they can tell when a render was done by me because of a certain look. An artist's style is like a fingerprint signature.

Maybe it's just me, but I hold my products dearly enough to insist of doing my own promos for them. They are my babies, and other people wouldn't understand them like I do. I may not be the best promo artist, but I feel like I am the only one who knows how they should be presented to the public. That's ironic because I loath doing promos - I really do. :p

Hornet3d

Wise
I am kind of curious of what happened. I have Poser 11 Pro and 10 Pro GD and use them both in a regular basis. So far I haven't noticed any issues with licenses locking me out, except once last month when internet connection dropped and I couldn't launch Poser for a little while. Internet has dropped over the years, and that was the only time this has ever happened to me. Maybe I was lucky? My multiple Poser versions licenses seem to be still working alright.

At first no one knew anything when Game Dev came out but a around six months after launch one company who had it loaded on more than one machine noticed that Poser would not run and gave a warning on multiple machines. Long story short Game Dev included a feature that required an activated installtion to 'phone home' at least once every six months. These machines were not connected to the Internet so six months after installation they were deactivated. The Poser site at that time only said you needed an Internet connection but never mentioned the introduction of the phone home feature. SM tried to do a work around for the company in question but I believe they just stopped using Poser. By then of course lots more people were finding their Poser installations being deactivated.

Two of the big questions at the time was why had this been introduced on the quiet and what would happen if Poser was sold. Now of course the second question is far more important now although I does look if Rendo have got this covered. The other issue is that you can only have three installations per license so if you are using three already and you get a new machine then you have to deactivate Poser on one of the old machines before you can activate it on the new machine. This is no major issue as long as one, you know you need to do this and second, that the old machine is still running. If you old machine had a hard drive crash there is no way you can deactivate this. It could be done with SM supports help but now Rendo has to, and seems to have picked up the batton. Rendo seems to be doing OK but it really does need to make sure it has a handle on this thing and no new owners wants current versions Poser falling off machines in a few months time.

Janet

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
Last night I got an email from Renderosity asking people if they wanted to participate in a content bundle to go along with the purchase of Poser for a couple of months. I'm sure they will get a lot of participation.

Then I looked in Poser to see if there were any animals I could animate but there were none. Where did they go?

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
@Hornet3d Thanks for the heads up! I only had Poser installed on 1 computer, so maybe that's why I didn't experience the license issues.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Maybe it's just me, but I hold my products dearly enough to insist of doing my own promos for them. They are my babies, and other people wouldn't understand them like I do. I may not be the best promo artist, but I feel like I am the only one who knows how they should be presented to the public. That's ironic because I loath doing promos - I really do. :p
You're not the only one who feels that way about doing promos. It's a job in, and of, itself. It takes a long time to get them looking just the way you want. I think they probably take as long as texturing an outfit, and that's never an easy job either.

Hornet3d

Wise
@Hornet3d Thanks for the heads up! I only had Poser installed on 1 computer, so maybe that's why I didn't experience the license issues.

If you are connected to the Internet you would not have seen the problem but somehow Rendo is going to have to either change the method or modify where 'home' is for the phone home feature if it is not to become a issue, unless they want to remove the feature all together.

Hornet3d

Wise
You're not the only one who feels that way about doing promos. It's a job in, and of, itself. It takes a long time to get them looking just the way you want. I think they probably take as long as texturing an outfit, and that's never an easy job either.

There are at least two way of looking at it do you want the promos to be first class and then risk the disappointment when purchasers cannot match what they see or do you want basic promos that can be created with ease straight out of the box. I guess I would lean to the latter in that it is a sort of under promise with the potential to over deliver position.

Miss B

CV-BEE
What you say is true, as I've had products that have disappointed me because I couldn't get the same results. However, I think somewhere between first class and basic would be the best, mostly because basic just might not turn folks on to wanting the product at all.

eclark1894

Visionary
There are at least two way of looking at it do you want the promos to be first class and then risk the disappointment when purchasers cannot match what they see or do you want basic promos that can be created with ease straight out of the box. I guess I would lean to the latter in that it is a sort of under promise with the potential to over deliver position.
The way I see it is that a promo is like a calling card., and you put your best foot forward. I'd much rather put forward a good render than a terrible one. It's standard practice in the marketing world. Thick juicy burgers, cold soft drinks, hot steaming fries. No one wants to try or buy a pile of slop slapped on a plate.

Not to mention book covers use promo artists all the time. Incidentally, something that if you're good at, you can hire yourself out as using Poser or Studio.

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
It's not just you. I feel the same way about my products and promos.

I don't loath doing them. But, it does get old rather quickly when you are doing the promos for three to four products.

Janet

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
The quality of the models on Hivewire is as good as in the other top stores, but there is one thing that I think could keep some users from trying some products here: promo images often have a different feel from those of the other stores; they often look "older" or of a lower quality. So, some people may think that the models here also actually are lower quality. At least this is my perception,.

I just looked through a few pages of the store and really don't see what you are talking about. Do you mean individual vendors?

Miss B

CV-BEE
OK folks, I just read the latest Renderosity Newsletter sent out today, and in it was a link to an article entitled "Here's what the Poser team has been working on . . ."

The last section of the article states, and I quote:

"What we are doing for the future

One of our key goals has been to get the band back together.

We are building a tech advisory board and inviting some recognizable faces (or names at least) to join. Don't be surprised if Chuck "Nerd3D" Taylor, Larry Weinberg, Ted "bagginsbill" Czotter, or Stephan Werner make an appearance. (emphasis added)

We are currently producing automated builds for Windows 64-bit on a regular basis and will soon be sending out invites to beta testers.

More soon ..."
Now if THAT isn't encouraging, I don't know what is!! :snoopydance::snoopydances::squee: