• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Poser sold to Rendo

Hornet3d

Wise
I should really clarify my earlier remark, I can understand people struggling with Superfly, I did when I started and I still do now, so it would be wrong to say I have got my head around it. For the first week all my figures looked as though they were made of black marble, OK Ezskin3 sorted that but I was still left with horrible eyes, bad skin tones and very soft looking renders, some props just had a white out in any render. Lots of people here pointed me in the right direction, the first stop I soon confirmed was to remover alternate specular in any firefly material and I tend to remove reflection as well. Slowly, with a lot of help, encouragement and weeks of work I could get renders to a point that I was happy with, more by luck and judgement mind, but it was enough to show it was worth the effort. Since then I have picked up some Superfly materials for the likes of metal and glass and some really good clothes. I am now at a point when I only render with Superfly other than my occasional play at using Octane. I can't say I understand it but by looking at how some commercial Superfly materials are built I am building a better understanding. I love Superfly but I can well understand those that do not.

On one other note I notice elsewhere that there is the usual clamour to have Genesis work in Poser but, not only that, but to scrap Superfly and use iRay. That would kill Poser for me although I have to admit I am mildly interested how such a version would be sold when it looks so much like a program that is free.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
Nerd3D has created a free webinar at SMS explaining all sides of the Physical Surface root node for Superfly. All I know about it came from that, and like I said, it is free. I think it has been posted like 3 years ago. It's very worth watching because Nerd3D is good on explaining things. This was helpful to me because if you know how to use the Physical Surface node, you won't need to learn all the many Cycles shader nodes at all.

eclark1894

Visionary
That's in your opinion, Earl. Can you respect that others feel otherwise?

I happen to love Superfly and only render with it. The only time I use Firefly is to test textures for something going into the store.

But that doesn't mean that my preferences are the only correct ones.

I didn't claim that mine was the only correct opinion, any more than Satira did when she said she couldn't get her head around Superfly. In fact, all I did was state another opinion... mine.

eclark1894

Visionary
Nerd3D has created a free webinar at SMS explaining all sides of the Physical Surface root node for Superfly. All I know about it came from that, and like I said, it is free. I think it has been posted like 3 years ago. It's very worth watching because Nerd3D is good on explaining things. This was helpful to me because if you know how to use the Physical Surface node, you won't need to learn all the many Cycles shader nodes at all.

Better check as it might not be there anymore. I was just checking my Tutorials listing in my directory and it seems anything posted for Poser from Smith Micro is not available on YouTube any longer. Looks like the great purge has begun.

eclark1894

Visionary
An additional note to all who look for Poser webinars from Smith Micro. Apparently, Smith Micro has taken down the Poser webinars on their YouTube Channel. however, Jenn Blake from Renderosity posted today that Renderosity will be adding those webinars to their Renderosity YouTube channel soon.

3dcheapskate

Engaged
I've only just heard the news.
So Renderosity now own Poser.
And the SM Poser forum is now 'defunct'.

:( I think I'll give up.

3dcheapskate

Engaged
Well, more along the lines of 'moved' to Renderosity's Poser Forum.
Yes, in the sense that the Renderosity Poser forums are now the de facto 'Official' Poser forums.
But no, in the sense that the individual threads from the SM Forum haven't moved (and won't), and are now only there till SM decide to cut them off.

Hornet3d

Wise
The other problem is that each forum has is own character so there is not only the loss of all the information over at the SM forum it will also be be a personal preference as to whether the Rendo forum suits you. It is anyone's guess at this point as the whether the end result adds more followers or not. One possible danger is that more DS users will feel more motivated to post at Rendo than did at SM. This forum goes to show that such a possibility need not be a negative, but again it depends very much on what is allowed by the moderators and the views of those higher up.

Hornet3d

Wise
Sadly, HiveWire is the only forum I'm comfortable visiting and posting.

I could not agree more. I went into lurk mode at Rendo when this news was made public and monitored the thread similar to this one. It was the first visit in over three years and, while it might be liked by many, all the reasons I left are still alive and well.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
But no, in the sense that the individual threads from the SM Forum haven't moved (and won't), and are now only there till SM decide to cut them off.
Are you positive we'll never see them at Renderosity? I was in touch with Jenn Blake about just that issue, and she told me they were still discussing things, and she would definitely bring it up during their discussions with SmithMicro. I haven't heard back from her as yet, so don't know for sure they won't move those forums to Renderosity.

Personally, I'd prefer they NOT be integrated with the general Poser forum threads, as everything will get lost. I'd prefer Bondware set it up separate, and link to it at the top of the Official Poser Forum, so folks can find it easily enough, and it will be pretty much intact as we're used to seeing it.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
As far as which forums I visit at Renderosity, I've been watching the Poser forums since the announcement of the software purchase, but other than that, the Blender forum is the only forum I spend any time in.

I started in 3D with Bryce back in early 2000, and at the time, Renderosity was the only 3D graphics site that had a Bryce forum. DAZ didn't create one until it purchased Bryce 4 years later. Now-a-days it's pretty quiet, but I still check it out now and then.

The only other forum I spent any time in, other than here at HW, was the now defunct SM Poser Forum.

Hornet3d

Wise
Are you positive we'll never see them at Renderosity? I was in touch with Jenn Blake about just that issue, and she told me they were still discussing things, and she would definitely bring it up during their discussions with SmithMicro. I haven't heard back from her as yet, so don't know for sure they won't move those forums to Renderosity.

Personally, I'd prefer they NOT be integrated with the general Poser forum threads, as everything will get lost. I'd prefer Bondware set it up separate, and link to it at the top of the Official Poser Forum, so folks can find it easily enough, and it will be pretty much intact as we're used to seeing it.

If they do keep the posts from the the SM forums, and I sincerely hope they do, I hope they set them up in the way you have suggested. The information is too valuable to be lost or hidden.

One of my frustrations with this is that many people jumped in with what the next issue of Poser will look like, or contain, when any new Poser version is at least a couple of years off. Decisions like this however are important now as Rendo and SM sort out the ownership handover, Rendo can take Poser wherever it likes in the years to come as they will have no need to negotiate with anyone.

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
It really gets frustrating to have topics sidelined not by a natural evolution of discussion, but because people have axes to grind.

After all these years, I still can't figure out why the HiveWire figures are so despised, or just plain ignored.

Hornet3d

Wise
It really gets frustrating to have topics sidelined not by a natural evolution of discussion, but because people have axes to grind.

After all these years, I still can't figure out why the HiveWire figures are so despised, or just plain ignored.

Even more so when Dawn is usable in both of the popular programs used by artist in this hobby. I can only assume that some just do not like competition or that they think their way is the only way. The real shame is it stops some people from trying and finding out the truth for themselves.

AnimaGemini

Living in the clouds
Contributing Artist
@Satira Capriccio
Dawn and Dusk are very good figures. But when you recall at the beginning Dawn get released, she get trashed asap she get announced from DS fangirls and boys. Sadly, the Poser community join the crowd after a while. (at last a few of them). This thread was horrible and after a few sites I stopped to watch and read it, because cause me really heavy raising blood pressure.
You never get a second chance to make your first impression.

3dcheapskate

Engaged
Are you positive we'll never see them at Renderosity? I was in touch with Jenn Blake about just that issue, and she told me they were still discussing things, and she would definitely bring it up during their discussions with SmithMicro...
No, not positive - I just think it's unlikely... :(

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
The criticism of Dawn started even before her release! I understood why those invested in DAZ and Genesis criticized Dawn and HiveWire, but I could never understand why the Poser users were so critical. Many never even tried to use Dawn. Some hated her on release because she wasn't pretty enough, yet neither was the original Genesis. But then, some of those most vocal about how horrible Dawn was also hated Roxie ... before she was ever released too.