• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Poser sold to Rendo

eclark1894

Visionary
I THINK some Poser users might have been frustrated by the fact that it wasn't Genesis or V4. Here we are nine years after the fact, and you still have a lot of former Poser users who think any figure made for Poser is DOA because it isn't Genesis #. Of course, I'm not typical. I stuck with Roxie for the longest time before I switched to Dawn, but now we have Maisie, PE, La Femme, Paul and Pauline. I haven't used any of them.

DanaTA

Distinguished
The criticism of Dawn started even before her release! I understood why those invested in DAZ and Genesis criticized Dawn and HiveWire, but I could never understand why the Poser users were so critical. Many never even tried to use Dawn. Some hated her on release because she wasn't pretty enough, yet neither was the original Genesis. But then, some of those most vocal about how horrible Dawn was also hated Roxie ... before she was ever released too.

That's the trouble with many things in today's society. People pre-judge things and situations before they know anything at all about them. And if a few chime in, everyone else assumes it must be true. Then, once they've committed themselves to an opinion, even if it's not correct, they stand by it. It's like they're too embarrassed to admit they made a mistake.

Dana

Hornet3d

Wise
That's the trouble with many things in today's society. People pre-judge things and situations before they know anything at all about them. And if a few chime in, everyone else assumes it must be true. Then, once they've committed themselves to an opinion, even if it's not correct, they stand by it. It's like they're too embarrassed to admit they made a mistake.

Dana

I think we all forget that only a small percentage of 3D artists actually visit any forum on a regular basis and a lot of them stay in lurk mode. That means that a very small number of people can have a big impact in the community.

Hornet3d

Wise
There is one aspect I find so strange and that is the number of people that have a go at Poser and then state they never use it. If someone in a car related forum moaned about how bad a Ford was to drive (insert any other make of your choice) and then stated they not only didn't own one but never drove them few people would value their opinion. Why so many in the 3D art world do not look past the hidden, but sometimes fairly obvious, agenda baffles me. I can quite accept if someone does not like Dawn but I don't give a lot of time to comments from those that have either never used the figure or say 'I used her once and didn't like her, assuming that the world stands still and everything remains the same for years. More to the point I don't respond to such posts as nothing is going to change their mind, it is their choice to live in the past or their own little world.

Glitterati3D

Dances with Bees
The criticism of Dawn started even before her release! I understood why those invested in DAZ and Genesis criticized Dawn and HiveWire, but I could never understand why the Poser users were so critical. Many never even tried to use Dawn. Some hated her on release because she wasn't pretty enough, yet neither was the original Genesis. But then, some of those most vocal about how horrible Dawn was also hated Roxie ... before she was ever released too.

That happened because some of her beta testers were trashing her in chat rooms long before her release. Even though they were supposed to be under an NDA, Dawn was the daily conversation in the Rendo chat by one particular beta tester. That's where the "quarterback shoulders" comments were born and still live today.

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
That's another thing I don't get. When you sign a Non Disclosure Agreement (NDA), it means you keep your mouth shut (or your fingers tied).

Years after the fact, there are a great many things I still don't discuss because of NDAs I signed. I've actually never seen a termination date on any of the NDAs I signed, which means ... they are in effect forever. Now, it may be that the NDA was intended to only be in effect until the the product was released, but it could be too that the NDA was meant to never expire.

Glitterati3D

Dances with Bees
That's another thing I don't get. When you sign a Non Disclosure Agreement (NDA), it means you keep your mouth shut (or your fingers tied).

Years after the fact, there are a great many things I still don't discuss because of NDAs I signed. I've actually never seen a termination date on any of the NDAs I signed, which means ... they are in effect forever. Now, it may be that the NDA was intended to only be in effect until the the product was released, but it could be too that the NDA was meant to never expire.

I agree. As far as I know, I've never signed an NDA with a termination date, they are forever.

Alisa

RETIRED HW3D QAV Director (QAV Queen Bee)
Staff member
QAV-BEE
I can tell you there was no termination date on the NDA signed by Beta Testers for Dawn.

AnimaGemini

Living in the clouds
Contributing Artist

This is what I never get. Join a crowd, because 'they say so" and trash other people hard work. I purchase them at the beginning they was released. And liked them a lot. For Dawn I buy as quick as possible also her morph pack ,because I saw in her a huge potential. Was really hoping for more great releases for her.
However, I will support them ,also the new versions. I had some struggle the last few months with inspiration ,but now at last I hope I can come up with some new stuff for her and finish Dusks outfit .

Semicharm

Eager

The NDA I signed for RDNA had an expiration, which hasn't passed yet as far as I recall. That's about all I can say.

Janet

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
Being a Social Worker I had to sign an NDA everywhere I worked. But it's just common sense - don't talk about people. Of course I find gossip repulsive. And when working at a company don't talk about their policies, projects and business practices.

I can't believe a tester would do that. That is SOOOOO wrong.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
I have to agree. I worked at a very large NY law firm, signed an NDA the day I was hired, worked there for 40 years, retired 14 years ago, and that NDA is STILL in effect.

Riccardo

Adventurous
The quality of the models on Hivewire is as good as in the other top stores, but there is one thing that I think could keep some users from trying some products here: promo images often have a different feel from those of the other stores; they often look "older" or of a lower quality. So, some people may think that the models here also actually are lower quality. At least this is my perception,.

Over here in the UK, NDA's have been contentious of late.
It's not just the usual rich and famous or celebs, trying to keep their naughtiness out of the public eye.
But increasingly where companies, are using them to stop Police or other investigations into things such as sexual harassment or financial crimes.

Though, what most folks forget is these things are civil court cases, never criminal. So if one is breached the danger is purely monetary.
There's no fines or jail time. It's not even a contempt of court to breach one.
Yet, much of society seems to follow the viewpoint these are some kinda mythical form of protection.

Miss B

CV-BEE
The quality of the models on Hivewire is as good as in the other top stores, but there is one thing that I think could keep some users from trying some products here: promo images often have a different feel from those of the other stores; they often look "older" or of a lower quality. So, some people may think that the models here also actually are lower quality. At least this is my perception,.
I think, and this is just my estimation from posts I've seen on various forums over the years, but there are some vendors in other stores who have others do their promo renders for them. There's no hard and set rule that I'm aware of which says the promo images have to be done by the vendor(s) who created the product.

eclark1894

Visionary
I think, and this is just my estimation from posts I've seen on various forums over the years, but there are some vendors in other stores who have others do their promo renders for them. There's no hard and set rule that I'm aware of which says the promo images have to be done by the vendor(s) who created the product.
Personally, I think that's an excellent idea.

3dcheapskate

Engaged
No, not positive - I just think it's unlikely... :(
shvrdavid (who used to have admin/mod rights on the SM Poser forum if I recall correctly) has just voiced my biggest doubt about whether the Poser forum at Smith Micro will be able to move lock, stock and barrel, to Renderosity:

"...every post a user made [that didn't work for SM, wasn't on the clock, etc...] Is the copyrighted intellectual property of the poster. They are not going to transfer it anywhere..."

(Here's a direct link to shvrdavid's post on the Renderosity thread with a bit more explanation - Are The Contents Of The SM Poser Forum About To Be Consigned To Oblivion ? )

Miss B

CV-BEE
Yes, I had PM'd him on the SM Poser forum once we "got the news", and he stated the same thing, and to tell you the truth, since I had worked for lawyers for several decades, I should've realized it myself. Trying to get everyone's official consent/permission to move the posts en masse to Renderosity's forum would be quite a feat in, and of, itself.

Semicharm

Eager
Yes, I had PM'd him on the SM Poser forum once we "got the news", and he stated the same thing, and to tell you the truth, since I had worked for lawyers for several decades, I should've realized it myself. Trying to get everyone's official consent/permission to move the posts en masse to Renderosity's forum would be quite a feat in, and of, itself.
Generally, sites requite users to grant the right to publicly display their posts as part of the service agreement when they sign up. Whether that license is transferable to another entity depends on the specific terms of the agreement.

(Disclaimer: Though I studied copyright law as part of my college major, and have followed copyright issues for two decades for various jobs and personal interest, I'm not a lawyer.)