• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Poser on borrowed time?

McGyver

Energetic
Anybody want to start a petition to get SM to improve the CP store?:sneaky:

Yes, I would... but I don't think that ever matters.
My feeling is when you have a company like SM that has other business software, the "consumer graphics" products tend to be be looked at as kid stuff.
Look at their home page...
It may be reading into it a bit, but listed at the top is:
Service Provider - Enterprise - Internet of Things-OEM.... aaaannnnnd lastly.... Graphics-Consumer
I don't think that is coincidental.
It's probably not meant in a derogatory manner, but their first priorities are going to be the stuff they feel brings them the most money and enhances their corporate reputation the most.
Most people who visit that home page probably have no clue what any of the stuff in their "Graphics-Consumer" do.
In "business" if you have two identical items and label one "Business Solution" and the other "Consumer", you basically labeled them "Big Kids Toys" and "Baby Stuff"...
"Consumers" don't look down on stuff like that, but people who like to think they move and shake, do.
I'm not saying SM views these products like that, but I would wager against the majority of the people who are looking for their business products thinking that way.
Although in the "Tech" industries I've had little contact past 04', I've seen that tons of times in aerospace and medical... It's weird how sometimes companies acquire an unrelated or semi-unrelated company for whatever reason and just don't ever really know what to do with it...
They don't kill it, but they don't really grow it... Maybe it was an investment they thought they'd explore, but their main concern started taking more of their efforts...
There are a million reasons... but more often then not, the concerns of the lesser product/venture falls to the wayside and there ends up being a "Sure, we'll deal with that (problem) as soon as we have time" kind of attitude.
Once again I don't want to imply that's what is going on at SM, but so many times stuff like that is far removed from anyone who could make an impact...
You have so many layers and so many people that "know better", that it's fairly useless... It's like Change dot Org trying to get a foreign nation to change their policies... Or this gove... (Never mind, I'm gonna avoid going down that road)...
Anyway...
If anyone does petition them with good ideas... I'd sign along.
Maybe it's just my newfound general lack of belief in "people power", coupled with world events since November of 2016, but my faith in the power of the common people to effect the decisions and policies of business or gover(... I can't seem to force myself to type the rest of that word...) has greatly diminished.

But still... If someone is willing to go that way, I'll add my .0002¢ (current value of my opinion on the open market) as well as my signature.

ben

Inspired
Well Smith Micro have just put up a post on their forum saying that they want to know if people have suggestions for their software, so now's your chance to improve Poser, Clip Studio Paint (Manga Studio). Movie Artist etc. Post is Here: Submit Your Poser Suggestions to Smith Micro

Actual Suggestion Form is Here: Software Suggestions – Smith Micro

There wasn't a listing for content paradise but I suppose it can be added to the Poser suggestions as it's still one of the tabs in previous versions of Poser

Janet

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
I just sent in a suggestion saying they should never change their animation features.

eclark1894

Visionary
Well Smith Micro have just put up a post on their forum saying that they want to know if people have suggestions for their software, so now's your chance to improve Poser, Clip Studio Paint (Manga Studio). Movie Artist etc. Post is Here: Submit Your Poser Suggestions to Smith Micro

There wasn't a listing for content paradise but I suppose it can be added to the Poser suggestions as it's still one of the tabs in previous versions of Poser
I JUST saw that today.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Yes, and that's unfortunate. We can only hope the new production team is good.

McGyver

Energetic

Well, 200 characters was hard... And no counter... Frikin' really?
I made a 191 characters suggestion...
But that's like trying to convert someone to becoming a vegetarian by saying "don't eat meat, carrots good"...
Their call though... I suppose it could have been 140...
They are 60 characters more interested than the average Twitter reader.
Thanks for the heads up ben.

RobZhena

Adventurous
With Poser 11 Pro, you can convert almost any clothing or hair from DAZ to use in Poser (and SM should REALLY be pitching this). You can convert a cr2 prior to Genesis 3/8 to Poser native, and if you really want to, you can make those work in Poser, too, with a free app. For Poser, the sky should be the limit, and DAZ the shopping mall. (I did test a conversion for a Genesis 8 outfit, and it takes more steps than G3 stuff because you have to compensate for the new A zero pose). So if DAZ sales are in trouble, why might that be? The case of BadKitteh has come up. I'm not picking on her, but consider: I don't know whether market forces or DAZ policy resulted in new product only for G3, but I would think that restricting everything to G3/8 is an outcome that tosses aside a lot of potential market. I would guess that I am not alone in having no desire to use G3. How hard would it be to rig for other figures? I bought Bootleggers Two on fast grab sale because they are just about the bootiest boots in 3D land. I rigged them for G2F (left) and Pauline (my Heroine Zawati freebie) in maybe an hour, including the morph work to get the fit right. If vendors want more sales, they should sell to a broader audience. Just my two cents.

Bootleggers Two.jpg

Hornet3d

Wise
Well, 200 characters was hard... And no counter... Frikin' really?
I made a 191 characters suggestion...
But that's like trying to convert someone to becoming a vegetarian by saying "don't eat meat, carrots good"...
Their call though... I suppose it could have been 140...
They are 60 characters more interested than the average Twitter reader.
Thanks for the heads up ben.

It is always a pain when there is not counter, I use a word processor and cut and paste but it is an extra step that should not be needed.

Hornet3d

Wise
With Poser 11 Pro, you can convert almost any clothing or hair from DAZ to use in Poser (and SM should REALLY be pitching this). You can convert a cr2 prior to Genesis 3/8 to Poser native, and if you really want to, you can make those work in Poser, too, with a free app. For Poser, the sky should be the limit, and DAZ the shopping mall. (I did test a conversion for a Genesis 8 outfit, and it takes more steps than G3 stuff because you have to compensate for the new A zero pose). So if DAZ sales are in trouble, why might that be? The case of BadKitteh has come up. I'm not picking on her, but consider: I don't know whether market forces or DAZ policy resulted in new product only for G3, but I would think that restricting everything to G3/8 is an outcome that tosses aside a lot of potential market. I would guess that I am not alone in having no desire to use G3. How hard would it be to rig for other figures? I bought Bootleggers Two on fast grab sale because they are just about the bootiest boots in 3D land. I rigged them for G2F (left) and Pauline (my Heroine Zawati freebie) in maybe an hour, including the morph work to get the fit right. If vendors want more sales, they should sell to a broader audience. Just my two cents.

View attachment 27221

I agree with your comments. The point is, if the vendor is not careful the market continues to narrow, first you lock out a group of people to work on content for the latest and greatest figure. That works for while but if some of you new customers are those that always want the latest and greatest when the next update of the figure is launched they move on and new customers will go straight to the new figure. Sales for the earlier figure drop, as it is now old hat, so the shelf life is reduced.

The beauty of having a program were you can convert clothing or hair is that you are not really worried so much about the latest and greatest, you just buy what you want and convert. If you have products for this group the shelf life is extended to some degree. I don't have Poser 11 but even with Poser 2014 I buy V4 stuff and convert to Dawn on a regular basis.

eclark1894

Visionary
I agree with your comments. The point is, if the vendor is not careful the market continues to narrow, first you lock out a group of people to work on content for the latest and greatest figure. That works for while but if some of you new customers are those that always want the latest and greatest when the next update of the figure is launched they move on and new customers will go straight to the new figure. Sales for the earlier figure drop, as it is now old hat, so the shelf life is reduced.

The beauty of having a program were you can convert clothing or hair is that you are not really worried so much about the latest and greatest, you just buy what you want and convert. If you have products for this group the shelf life is extended to some degree. I don't have Poser 11 but even with Poser 2014 I buy V4 stuff and convert to Dawn on a regular basis.

Here's where i have a problem with conversions. I shouldn't have to convert anything. The vendor should. I'm paying money for all this hard work right? I don't buy much from DAZ anymore not because i hate DAZ, I don't, but because Daz doesn't sell much I can just install and use in Poser. When they want me back as a customer, let them make a Poser version I can use. If i have to convert to use in Poser then i should get a discount.

Deecey

Admirable
Contributing Artist
>> Here's where i have a problem with conversions. I shouldn't have to convert anything. The vendor should.

Commercial quality conversions can be nearly as much work as the original figure. Modeling an outfit is actually the easy part ... rigging clothing for a different figure is an entirely different matter. Fitting room conversions may be good for personal use, but I would never release something that was "automatically" converted because there are usually things that need to be cleaned up. In addition to refitting the model (something I usually do manually to make sure it's clean), there is the regrouping, and converting all the morphs. "Copy morphs from" is a good start, but automatic morph conversions frequently need to be cleaned up and smoothed out in places. Weight maps have to be checked to make sure they all work correctly. By the time all of that is done, you might as well have created an entirely new piece of clothing to begin with. :cool:

Glitterati3D

Dances with Bees
Here's where i have a problem with conversions. I shouldn't have to convert anything. The vendor should. I'm paying money for all this hard work right? I don't buy much from DAZ anymore not because i hate DAZ, I don't, but because Daz doesn't sell much I can just install and use in Poser. When they want me back as a customer, let them make a Poser version I can use. If i have to convert to use in Poser then i should get a discount.

I agree with this, honestly. As a vendor, I agree. Because of physical limitations, I don't use DS and I don't expect customers to buy to convert my products.

But, I think what rubs folks wrong is these former Poser vendors who moved to DS suddenly don't want Poser customers. They established their reputation on the backs of Poser customers and then abandon them.

Glitterati3D

Dances with Bees
>> Here's where i have a problem with conversions. I shouldn't have to convert anything. The vendor should.

Commercial quality conversions can be nearly as much work as the original figure. Modeling an outfit is actually the easy part ... rigging clothing for a different figure is an entirely different matter. Fitting room conversions may be good for personal use, but I would never release something that was "automatically" converted because there are usually things that need to be cleaned up. In addition to refitting the model (something I usually do manually to make sure it's clean), there is the regrouping, and converting all the morphs. "Copy morphs from" is a good start, but automatic morph conversions frequently need to be cleaned up and smoothed out in places. Weight maps have to be checked to make sure they all work correctly.

But certainly not always, Deecey. I recently bought and converted and AprilYSH hair from the object stage. I had the objects of the hair and morphs exported from DAZ and brought them into Poser Pro 11 and rigged the hair to Dawn. It took me all of 25 minutes to have working, morphing prop hair from a G3/G8 marketed hair.

KarissaHairDawn.jpg

Deecey

Admirable
Contributing Artist
You're right. Not always ... prop hair is a lot easier to convert than conforming hair ... and definitely easier than clothing (which is what I was talking about). Prop hair (I'm talking Poser HR2, not CR2) basically just needs to be morphed and positioned into place. No groups and joint centers and weight mapping to worry about.

PS ... nice character!