• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Nataani for Dusk

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
So, quick question then - opinion time - speak up now or forever hold your peace. :D

Would you all prefer that I leave the heavy dirt option OUT?

As in... do you only want the lighter dirt option? Or do you want both the light AND the heavy available for use?

I can go either way with it. If people only want the lighter dirt option, then I will only include the light dirt option. So you all let me know what you want in regards to the dirty skin, and I'll roll with it. :)

The texturing itself is coming down the home stretch here (almost done with the leg maps, and then it's just making bumps/normals and doing material poses), so this is the time to let me know. If I don't get input, I will just be including both versions of the dirty skin options.

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Personally, I'd probably never use a heavy dirt option, but I would think some people would. If it's to your liking, I'd think you should go ahead and include it. I do like the light dirt option better. But ... that's just me! I'm a bit finicky when it comes to getting dirty, and oddly enough, my characters take after me.

It's the eyes that make me think of Lou Diamond Philips.

You have a great character here Seliah.

As for Longmire ... in my opinion, it is the absolute best series to ever come out of the US. Consistently well written, well acted, and well filmed. Can you really beat the scenery in Wyoming?!? Well, ok. Sure. Like the Scottish Highlands :D But, seriously, I cannot say enough good things about this series, and I'm really glad it was picked up by Netflix when A&E cancelled it. Because ... the median age of Longmire's viewers were in their 60s? 5.6 million viewers, and we're too old for A&E and their advertisers :eek:

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
I had all or Mariah's sets for Gen 4 the only one I actually used was the baby one. They're beautiful work and it's good to have a dirty texture in case it's needed but when I buy this set it will be about the character and the base skin which I think you have done a terrific job with as well as all the additional extras.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
As for Longmire ... in my opinion, it is the absolute best series to ever come out of the US. Consistently well written, well acted, and well filmed. Can you really beat the scenery in Wyoming?!? Well, ok. Sure. Like the Scottish Highlands :D But, seriously, I cannot say enough good things about this series, and I'm really glad it was picked up by Netflix when A&E cancelled it. Because ... the median age of Longmire's viewers were in their 60s? 5.6 million viewers, and we're too old for A&E and their advertisers :eek:
Excuse me??? I watch several shows on A&E, and I'm well past my 60s. Then again, I rarely pay attention to commercials, so I guess I don't think about advertisers much.

sanbie

Noteworthy
Contributing Artist
I would only ever use the light....but having said that...you can bet your bottom dollar...that if the heavy wasn't there I would need it...So please put it in...always good to have another option!

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Alright... I will work on both levels of dirt, then. There are a few seam issues in some spots on the heavy dirt skin that I am working on at the moment.

And Sanbie - you totally sound like me. "Nah, I'm not going to buy that... I'd never use it."

Three days later.... "I should have (*#&%^[ig bought it! NOW I need it!"

LOL :D

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
I may end up scrapping the "heavy" option as it is... no matter what I do with this, I can NOT get the seam between the torso and legs to match up... and I think I'm up to about 200+ different test maps on this alone. (Stupid DS not updating an image without closing the program...sheesh...)

I'll give it one more try - starting over on the heavier option around the seams area - and I'll see about it then. I'm stubborn, and I really would like to include both options. Dusk has so little at the moment in regards to characters and skins, I want to try and give folks as many options as I can here.

The light dirt works fine as-is. I may just stick with that if the heavy option does not cooperate.

Last edited:

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Well if it works...go for it...One is better than none

Agreed, definitely. I mean, the lighter option works just fine. I just really want to try and offer both, so I'm taking one more stab at it here.. but if I can't make it behave, then we definitely will have just the light option. LOL

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
I think I found it!! Gah, I am such a goof sometimes! And the good news, is it will give us the option, without astronomically increasing the number of maps in the Textures folder!!

Dirt Mask!!

Duh me... *goes to bang head on desk now* LOL

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Alright, so this is the final form that the dirt is going to take. Just the one. I do have a few mud splatters, but those will be able to be turned on or off as wanted.

Ended up tossing the mask idea... so these are all mapped to Dusk's zones. The seam in the middle of the thighs really plays havoc with trying to do anything on the legs. I just figured out that Blender has a texturing thing in it - I will be working on learning how to use that, so maybe the next time I do a texture like this, I can get around the seams a little bit better.

Anyway - this is going to be the dirt option... and the heavier splatters will be optional for the folks that want to give him a mud bath. LOL

Dirt-Light3.png

And this is what it looks like with the splatters added... they do enough all on their own to make the dirt look heavier.

Dirt-Light4.png

Note :
For the test render, I just applied ALL of the splatters; ideally we would only apply the ones (one, two, all, whatever...) we actually want for a render (and yes that will be possible).

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
YES!!! Now you're in business. Glad you got that figured out Seliah, as having the options to turn on (or off) as much mud as we want, is ideal.