• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Nataani for Dusk

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
That makes sense...I'm glad you got it sorted. I'll have to check out the resources you mentioned. I didn't know Marieah had done a hair resource...

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
The resource Marieah did was facial hair only, it was for M4, and sold over on Rendo.

Same with the Hinkypunk resource, except that this one also included some eyebrows, a couple of chest hairs to start from, and a video tutorial for folks that need that. I find that Hinkypunk tends to make some really decent MR's, I just didn't think to check that vendor's catalogue for it until very early this morning. I'm glad I did now. :)

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
And I think I have the little soul patch sorted out. :)

Nataani-SoulPatch1.png

This character is very interesting... depending on what clothes and-or hair you put on him, he looks everything from Indigenous to Caucasian to Asian... and all without changing a single morph dial. LOL

I think I'm good for tonight. I'll pick this back up tomorrow morning with fixing the torso/limb dirt maps.

Alisa

RETIRED HW3D QAV Director (QAV Queen Bee)
Staff member
QAV-BEE
Seliah - you may already know/do this, but if you use Photoshop, send your jpgs through "save for web". I find that I can't see any real difference saved at about 60%. That will help in decreasing the size of the texture folder, but include the options you want - people LOVE to have options!

I'm sure other image programs have similar options..

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Yes I use Save for Web at 60% for all my renders. Only time I go higher is for UV Maps, and textures, where details are important.

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Seliah - you may already know/do this, but if you use Photoshop, send your jpgs through "save for web". I find that I can't see any real difference saved at about 60%. That will help in decreasing the size of the texture folder, but include the options you want - people LOVE to have options!

I'm sure other image programs have similar options..

Yes, Ma'am. Corel Photopaint has a good compression filter when exporting as a jpg. I always make use of it when exporting the final maps. It does a good job with size reduction vs file size. :)

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
I think it was Hinkypunk's resource I used for Alaric and it is a good one.

Yes, that's the one I ended up using on this. I have had Marieah's for a while, though in this case it just wasn't working out the way I wanted, and I went looking to see if anyone else, ever, has made a face-hair only resource. And then I proceeded to kick myself for not checking Hinkypunk's store in the first place for it! LOL :)

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
This is looking really really good!

Thanks, Sanbie. Are the facial hair options to your liking? I know you mentioned earlier that you really like at least having a shadow on the characters, and I will admit that this is the first character that I've actually sat down and fought with facial hair for.

Chris

HW3D President
Staff member
Co-Founder
Great looking character! Very, very unique! Glad Alisa turned me onto this thread!

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Great looking character! Very, very unique! Glad Alisa turned me onto this thread!

Aww. Thank you, Chris! I'm glad you like him. :)

No additional renders yet, but I have gotten the bulk of the body dirt maps re-drawn, and I have finished two more of the poses. I will try to get a progress render done when I get home of the updated dirt mapping. And I completed the morph injection poses as well. Getting there. :D

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
And got another (very fiddly) pose finished tonight also.

Yes, I have included a go-to positioning pose for the cowboy hat on this one as well as the other standing pose that I showed earlier. Any pose that has him holding the hat, will have an accompanying go-to position pose for the hat. Dang thing is fiddly as all get-out to position around his fingers.

Anyway - this is the crouching pose; also part of the pack. This is just a quickie render; hand-edited DOF because the background was a little too busy to see the pose properly without it. But that's all I did in postwork. Lights are a single AOA advanced ambient, one AOA advanced spotlight, and one standard DS spotlight. 3Delight of course. I don't have Nvidia and I don't have the patience to wait 10+ hours for a simple render to finish.

As far as textures go --
I have got the torso dirt maps sorted out now. I am still working on the dirt maps for the limbs. They are giving me a little bit of a hassle, but I will probably have them sorted out tomorrow and be able to show a texture update then.

For now - pose preview. :)

Pose 02.jpg

sanbie

Noteworthy
Contributing Artist
You know he reminds me of that Indian fellow with the Bar in Longmire...

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
You know he reminds me of that Indian fellow with the Bar in Longmire...

That means I'm doing something right. Thank you! :)

(No, he's not intended to be a celebrity copycat. It just means that I'm managing to get across his racial features the way I wanted to. That makes me a happy wolf. LOL)