• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Nataani for Dusk

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Looking good Seliah. He most definitely looks like Lou Diamond Phillips in that render. Must be the expression on his face. ;)

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
and I would call this one: On the Run.... (creates all sorts of stories in my head). !

...and your title just made it so I will HAVE to finish it up into a full render later... LOL!!

One more batch of renders to do for the last promo, and then he can be zipped up and sent off to QAV.

And then I will tackle re-installing Pro 2010 to try and do the material work, since I already have his INJ/REM done.

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
~keeping fingers crossed~

I think I will be able to do the material work without issue, in that version. It worked okay for the Luna beach textures, which I was intending to get back to finishing in P10 after Nataani was done...

I just can't move or morph the weight mapped figures in Pro2010 is all... sigh. So, I have the INJ/REM for Nataani, but I have no idea how I will do another character's Poser conversion in the future yet. Heck, I'm on the verge of actually allowing the upgrade to Win10 just to see if it makes a difference for P10. At this point my HD is on it's way out, I think, so Win10 can't possibly do anymore damage to the system, right? LOL!

Miss B

CV-BEE
I'm so against upgrading to Win10, I couldn't possibly give you any encouragement on that score.

sanbie

Noteworthy
Contributing Artist
Lots of complaints that the latest update for windows10...made poser crashes everywhere!!

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
I'm so against upgrading to Win10, I couldn't possibly give you any encouragement on that score.

Lots of complaints that the latest update for windows10...made poser crashes everywhere!!

I know. I am basically just grasping at straws here is all. Because to date, I work alone, which means I don't have the benefit of a partner like Glitter and Eblank have, that I can send files to for Poser conversion. So if I don't do it, it won't get done...

Nataani I can put out with the Pro2010 for the materials, since his INJ files are already done, but that is not going to be the case for any future characters I might or might not make.

So yeah. This is basically grasping at straws. I'm more just kind of thinking out loud. We'll see. I really don't want to touch Win10 - not even with an electrified, barbed-wired double bladed pole... but I'm grasping at straws, because my options right now are to either find a way to make the blasted program function, or to completely drop all Poser support. The second option is not acceptable to me, and is a last resort. LOL

Lyne

Distinguished
HW Honey Bear
warning warning... Win10 TAKES AWAY OUR ABILITY TO WORK IN EXPLORER!!! It "HIDES" things and hopes you are just a dumb bunny that wants to play games or run word, I think... We, in the 3d world USE and need our Explorer and ALL it's menu choices, etc... sheesh! I HATE MS!! I'm so glad I got my machine "guarded" against upgrading from win7!!

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
warning warning... Win10 TAKES AWAY OUR ABILITY TO WORK IN EXPLORER!!! It "HIDES" things and hopes you are just a dumb bunny that wants to play games or run word, I think... We, in the 3d world USE and need our Explorer and ALL it's menu choices, etc... sheesh! I HATE MS!! I'm so glad I got my machine "guarded" against upgrading from win7!!

Lyne, yeah... I know. Like I said, it was one of those "Argh I can't think of anything else" thoughts.

Right now I'm stuck on 8.1...

I am hoping to eventually be able to get back DOWN to Win7, but at the moment I have everything blocking MS from the 10 update. It won't be able to download, let alone install, without my permission. I don't want a damn thing to do with Windows 10... I'm just kind of digging for alternative ideas to get P10 functional for me.

Because Pro2010 can't work with the HW figures, so if I have to stick to JUST that version, it means NO further Poser support for my characters after Nataani, and that's what I'm trying to avoid. I may just wait until we can get a new HD and then make a bootable/install image of my Bear's Win7 via USB to use... LOL

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
And got the setup render for the last promo done... yes, he's happy to be back in his grubbies. LOL

Poses01.jpg

Miss B

CV-BEE
When I first got this laptop with Win7, the first thing I did was go into the Control Panel and make sure I can see ALL hidden files. Doesn't mean I can do anything with them, but at least I can see them.

I have not heard whether Win10 allows for that, and I can tell you it's only in Win7 Pro. A friend has Win7 Home on her laptop, and I couldn't find that option anywhere.

Miss B

CV-BEE
Yup that's how I did it on this laptop when I first got it. I also made sure that I had selected to show file extensions, because with me and graphics, I always have more than one version of a file, and without being able to see the extensions, I wouldn't know which is which.

I don't know why I couldn't find that on my friend's laptop, and that wasn't the only thing. I know I tried to find other things I had no problem finding on my laptop, but could never find on hers. Then again, as so many have stated, M$ doesn't think the casual user "needs" to know where everything is. Most of us aren't casual users, and we need to know where everything is in order to make our computer lives easier. M$ couldn't care less.

I often wonder if they hide everything on their Enterprise versions too. That wouldn't be a good move for companies using Windows on their computer systems.

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Then again, as so many have stated, M$ doesn't think the casual user "needs" to know where everything is. Most of us aren't casual users, and we need to know where everything is in order to make our computer lives easier. M$ couldn't care less.

That's it exactly. I think part of the reason most power users have trouble with M$ (and this includes all variety of 3D artists), is because M$ doesn't market to power users. I think their business model, and their target consumer groups, are the folks who just want to turn on the computer to browse, go online and chat, or buy things, maybe do social media. Those folks don't NEED access to the command lines, or the registries, or the VRAM, or paging files, or any of what we regularly adjust to make our machines suit our needs. All they need is an OS that runs, enough memory to watch Youtube, and a browser to do it in.

Now... I am NOT a fan of Gates. I never have been. I think he's an obnoxious, arrogant, holier-than-thou 1-percenter. He had a LOT of potential when he was younger, but frankly, the money went to his head. However... I just simply think that the M$ target consumer group is now the everyday average, non-technologically inclined user. And I think this is why we run into so many issues, as power users (and all 3D artists, if they don't start out as such, eventually grow into a power user out of simple necessity) with the M$ products and software, especially their OS softwares. We, by the nature of what we do, require a lot more direct access to all sorts of things that the casual browsing or Youtube-watching person does not need, and probably has no idea exists.

In short, we're just not Bill Gates' target consumer group, and therefore it can pretty much be assumed that anything the company puts out nowadays, we are going to have to punch it full of holes and turn it into swiss cheese to make it work for us.

M$ tries to "fool-proof" or "user mistake-proof" their software. Power users don't NEED their toys child-proofed, they need access to the nuts and bolts that the toys are made of and they need access to the tools to drill new holes and put their toys together in a new ways! LOL

I am probably not going to update to Win10. It was an idea I was briefly toying with, as a case of "Well it can't do anymore damage to my HD than what's already been done," but I am probably going to just limp along with 8.1 until such time as I can get a new HD, and get a copy of Win 7 onto that HD. Heck, I would still be using Windows XP if I could! In fact, that's what I WAS still using, right up until my previous system just finally bit it's final bullet and died. LOL

Last edited:

Miss B

CV-BEE
That she does! :D

I wasn't in a rush to switch to Windows 95 after spending 6 years getting my Computer Information Systems and Programming Degree working solely on a DOS 5 computer, but I did it because that's what my firm was upgrading to, and I needed to keep up. I used to be able to program that old computer to do whatever I wanted. Not so much with Windows, and it gets harder and harder with each new version.

I'm with you Seliah. I'd still be using WinXP if I hadn't dropped my old 8 year old laptop . . . twice. It just wouldn't boot up any more, so had all my files transferred to my external and got a this Win7 Pro laptop.

I tell you one thing, even though I think WinXP was the best OS M$ ever produced, I do appreciate Win7 being 64-bit. Working with a 32-bit OS is just not worth the hair pulling, 64-bit software is so much nicer.

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Agreed wholeheartedly on the 64-bit... that is definitely one thing I would not want to lose. Hopefully, I can get a bootable USB stick made from my Bear's Win7 when we are able to afford replacing the HD on this one. Until then, though, I'm going to have to just limp along with this unstable nonsense. It's not making me happy, but the reality is that while HD's no longer are as expensive as they used to be, if I'm going to buy a new HD, I might as well go in for a 2 or 3TB, as that will serve me better in the long run. And for that, I just need time to save up, as we have other, very expensive quarterly bills all coming due in the next month or two.