• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Mischief and other things

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
I like Dell computers as well. My problem is, I refuse to deal with Windows 10, and the Dell computers they sell on their site that still have Windows 7, don't have the power, memory or disc space I would require.

I'm seriously thinking of switching to Linux, but there are so many distros, I haven't decided yet which would be the best choice.

Faery_Light

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
Microsoft is phasing out older versions of Windows.
I really don't have much problems with Windows except the auto updates.
It just will insist on installing Adobe flash security updates and that messes with Poser.
I finally got it stopped on the desktop but I had the Windows 10 upgrade.
This has it preinstalled and I will need to re-learn how to get rid of it.
I miss Windows 7 though.

Faery_Light

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
Well I guess I am lucky in a way, got the laptop just in time, the desktop died. :(

I wanted to check a few files on the other drive (external) so went to boot the big machine.
All I got was the Dell logo and the a black screen with a blinking cursor (made me feel like cursing). :laugh:
Several attempts to reboot got me the same thing.

Just finished running the system diagnostics (yes, pressing f12 gets me there) and everything passed except the hard drive.
Seems that is the code for death of the drive. :cry:

So it will be awhile before I can replace it and then get a new OS as well.
This baby did not come with a backup DVD.

And this is why I never store anything but programs on the main drive.

Faery_Light

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
I will need a new hard drive but it has to take a back seat for a bit.
hope this laptop stays good for a while.
The daughter and I have started adding up what funds we have towards moving.
The rent will be higher because here we only pay $400.00 a month plus the water bill.
And of course, utilities.
There will only be my income and he husband's for awhile so it won't be easy.
The brother will move in with his daughter stay here alone, I don't know which.
Of course if he chooses to stay here he knows they are not going to fix that leak in the roof or the place where the ceiling fell two weeks ago.
Moving is always a hassle and I expect this one to be...sigh.

sanbie

Noteworthy
Contributing Artist
I use active@ to make back-ups of my main C drive so if anything ever happens all I do is put my back up back in...works for me

Faery_Light

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
I didn't lose any files, all it had on it were programs.
I never, ever put my important files on the main drive.
I back up my important files on two externals for safety.

sanbie

Noteworthy
Contributing Artist
Yep that's what I do to...even my pictures and my documents are linked to my external drive...
But when something goes wrong...it's so easy to go to the back up...and about 8 minutes later all your programs are back where they were and all is sweet..
no that's what I like! lol

Faery_Light

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
Well I've been using a bedside table for my laptop, these things get hot.
But it still meant my hands and arms at an odd angle causing pain.
About an hour ago I was sitting and looked across my room where I had a plastic tote with a couple things sitting on top.
It dawned on me that one of them was my son's old art case that I gave him back in 2004, he is no longer with us in this world so it is mine again.
I remembered how it was made inside so I opened it and there it was, the part that makes a desk staring me in the face.
It makes the perfect laptop desk and now I can type easier with my hands and arms at the correct angle...YAY!

Faery_Light

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
Ahha!
I got a pic of the desk now, here it is.
Larger if you click the TN.
MyLaptopDesk.jpg

Faery_Light

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
Tried to log in with Opera browser and got a warning that the site was hacked and blocked.
Using Explorer and nothing wrong.
I think maybe Opera is what's hacked...sigh.r

Faery_Light

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
Hmmm, just noticed that I didn't finish converting the Alaric aged face morphs to DS.
Got too many things going on and my mind gets distracted.
Well, maybe I can do it later today id I don't tire out.

Faery_Light

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
Sheesh!
My daughter went to pick up my Spiriva and was told that my insurance has reached a "limit" I am in the donut hole.
If I want my Spiriva it will cost $88.00 and this will go on till sometime in December.
That means no meds till then because if I add the Advair and others it will be way out of sight.

Faery_Light

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
I noticed that m external drive gave a warning that it needs to be checked for errors.
At present I am backing up recent work to my other external.
But I know how quickly these can just die, so feel a need to maybe do cloud backup.
So I have been researching information on the different cloud providers.
From everything I have read, pc computing, pc world and zdnet, all recommend either Google or Dropbox.
Since I already have dropbox I might try the unlimited storage one on a monthly pay plan.
First I need to check if I can do it after main bills are paid, but I need it.

Faery_Light

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
The pricing confuses me on that one, it says on the Plus plan as low as 70.00 a year but when you go to the compare page it says 99.99 a year.
Crash has a plan with unlimited continuous backup for 5.00 a month.
I like the idea of minute by minute backup so I don't hav to worry but if they should ever go out of business, problems.
I am not sure that you get online backup with dropbox, just have to do it on your own.

Faery_Light

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
As the saying goes, "When it rains, it pours" and that is what it is doing in the front room now.
The small leak is now halfway across the room.
Four ceiling tiles are down due to one collapsing with water, nearly 6 to 7 gallons all over the floor yesterday.
Today is worse, we moved tho older couch outside as it was ruined by plaster dust and water.
My room is starting to leak in one corner so I had to move some stuff from there too.
Crystal called the church president and he said the whole roof will need replaced, down to the guts.
Won't be able to get anyone out till Monday.
Looks like we will need to move anyway and that is a problem.
No money to move on, rent will be higher (only $400.00 a month here) and we just don't see how we can do it. :(
STRESSSSSSS!