• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

RELEASED MAT Edit Python Script for Poser 12

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
MAT Edit for Poser 12

One of the biggest limitation when editing materials in Poser has always been the fact that we can only select and edit a single material at a time. This is a general materials editor for Poser 12 that allows processing multiple materials, figures and props simultaneously - and more!

**Available HERE
Promo_000_300x350_MatEdit.jpg

Following the big success of SkinEdit for Poser 12, people have asked for a general materials editor, and this is it!

These are some of the main operations:
  • Smart copy & Paste selected materials: Options for 1 to all, 1 to many, or many to many.
  • Smart paste only material values: Preserve shader nodes and textures.
  • Reset selected materials: Reset values and remove all shader nodes.
  • Cleanup: Remove any orphan (disconnected) shader nodes.
  • Edit: Ability to edit 1 or all selected materials at once, to include editing shader node connections.
  • Select: Selects selected object or material on the Poser scene. Optional auto-select mode.
  • Collapse: Mass expand or collapse material root nodes and/or regular nodes input lists, and previews.
  • Cascade: Reorganize the shader nodes in a more compact layout.
  • Gamma: Mass auto-correct the gamma value on all texture map nodes in your materials.
  • Maps: Mass replace all texture maps from the selected materials at once.
  • Fix Bump: Auto-correct all legacy “Gradient Bump” shader connections to modern Bump wiring.
  • Filtering: Mass setting the Map Filtering method in all selected texture map nodes in your materials.
  • Save material selections preset (MC6) to the Poser library.
  • Option to show/hide figures from the list.
  • Option to show/hide props from the list.
  • Native dockable Poser panel with Dark Theme.
  • Built-in PDF manual.
Promo_000_1000x1200_MatEdit.jpg

For example, we can select ALL of DawnSE's skin materials and edit them all at once. We can edit all of the root node properties without affecting the texture nodes.

Promo_01_600x800_MatEdit.jpg

The tool includes a complete materials editor that will look similar to what we are used to find in the Material Room, but that can handle any number of materials at once.

Promo_02_600x800_MatEdit.jpg

The editor can perform some more advanced operations, like copying values from other inputs, and even reconnect or disconnect shader nodes from other inputs. This is very helpful when these operations affect all selected MAT zones at once, saving you tons of work! ^___^

Promo_03_600x800_MatEdit.jpg

What about those materials where the root node is off-screen, or the connected nodes are scattered a mile away? What a mess - how long does it take to bring them back into place? Well, just click the "Cascade" button to auto-layout everything into a neatly organized compact view. The root nodes are moved back to the origin, and all connected nodes are cascaded next to them on the right.

Promo_04_600x800_MatEdit.jpg

If you have a perfectly good material, but you would like to replace just the texture maps, how long would that take over the whole figure? With MAT Edit, first select the MAT zones you want to affect, and press the "Maps" button. It will auto-collect all textures and allow you to replace just the ones you want, all in 1-step.

Promo_05_600x800_MatEdit.jpg

Have you ever wanted to just copy the materials from one figure or prop to another? Just select the figure, prop, or individual MAT zones, and paste them where they need to be! Supports PoserSurface, PhysicalSurface, and even Compound nodes. In the example below, I have copied the entire Dawn character from the left, and then pasted all materials on the Dawn character on the right in 1-step! Copy & Paste is "smart", meaning it analyzes what was copied, how many mats, and then looks at the MAT zones were selected for pasting, their kind and amount, and performs the materials transfer accordingly. For example, if you copy a figure, it will transfer all materials - assuming the target figure is compatible. If we copy only a few MAT zones and paste them over a figure, it will first search for matching MAT zones, and if it finds them, pasting is performed by matching them. If there is no match, they are pasted in the same order they were copied. If we paste over a root node instead, only the root values are affected, preserving everything else. We also the option of pasting only root node values over materials, which preserves everything else.

Promo_06_600x800_MatEdit.jpg

Sometimes we may want to export the edited materials for the entire figure, or only selected MAT zones into a MC6 file preset. Just select what you want, be it a whole figure, prop, or selected MAT zones, and press the "Save" button on the top, or choose "Save material to library" from the context menu as shown below, and it will create a Poser material collection MC6 file, along with the respective PNG thumbnail. You can save it anywhere you like. If you select specific MAT zones, only those will be included in the export. You decide what you want included!

Promo_07_600x800_MatEdit.jpg

There are times when we want to organize the shader nodes by expanding or collapsing their input list, or the preview box. We can do this only to the root nodes, only to shader nodes, or to everything over all of your selected MAT zones. No need to tediously do this one at a time.

Promo_08_600x800_MatEdit.jpg

There are also cases where we want to set the texture maps to the correct GAMMA value, like all textures connected to the diffuse channel should have gamma set to 2.20, while all the grayscale maps connected to channels like bump, normal, displacement, and transparency should have their gamma value set to 1.0. With MAT Edit, just select the figure and press the "Gamma" button, and it will go through the entire figure materials, find the texture maps, verify where they are plugged into, and automatically set the correct gamma values - with 1-click! This can also be done with props, and only to selected MAT zones.

In a similar way, we can change the texture filtering method on image nodes through the whole figure, prop, or selected MAT zones with 1-click. A huge time saver! Just select what you want, and press the "Filtering" button, choose your desired filtering method, and you are done!

There is also the infamous legacy "Gradient Bump" that plagues older figure materials. There was a time in the distant past when all Poser materials used that instead of regular bump maps, and I believe this doesn't even exist anymore, but older materials still use them, and it looks all wrong in renders. Here again, just select what you want, and press the "Fix Bump" button, and it's all fixed automatically. The texture map node will be rewired to the right input channel, and the bump value preserved. If the bump map is already plugged in correctly, nothing happens, so no worries.

To make the workflow more flexible, MAT Edit allows manually or automatically selecting in Poser what you currently have selected in the tool. If you select a figure or prop, it will be selected in your Poser scene. If you select a MAT zone, it will be selected in the Material Room. This is helpful when you are editing materials and want to see what's happening in the Material Room.

Finally, MAT Edit includes the ability of resetting entire figure/prop materials, or just the selected materials. This zeroes out the root nodes, leaving only a grayscale color, and removes all shader nodes - a perfect starting point for creating new materials. You also have the option to only remove disconnected (orphan) shader nodes, which includes disconnected root nodes that are not assigned to anything. Root nodes assigned to either Firefly and/or Superfly are preserved.

As usual, this script ships with an integrated PDF manual you can open at any time by clicking the "?" button. I have also recorded a 35 mins video tutorial where I explain most of the main functionalities with real world examples.

The script is now available at Renderosity. Requires Poser 12, and (officially) Windows 10. May work in Windows 7 (untested).

Last edited:

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Something else for my wishlist until I'm using Poser 12 more regularly. Nice! :)

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
This is one thing that may help making people want to use Poser 12. This tool brings to Poser some things we could only do in DS, like simultaneously editing multiple materials, and then some more they can't do in DS, like rewiring shader nodes, or auto-fixing gamma values. People loved SkinEdit for the ease of use, and this one can handle general materials with its own arsenal of automations.

Sunfire

One Busy Little Bee
QAV-BEE
Contributing Artist
And here earlier I was working on some materials in DS in the hopes of converting my skirts to DS now that dforce is hanging around and not blowing away like last years leaves and wishing there was a way to edit all matzones at once like I was doing in DS. LOL.

Any hint as to the price? Need to start hunting pennies and soda cans. ;)

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
And here earlier I was working on some materials in DS in the hopes of converting my skirts to DS now that dforce is hanging around and not blowing away like last years leaves and wishing there was a way to edit all matzones at once like I was doing in DS. LOL.

Any hint as to the price? Need to start hunting pennies and soda cans. ;)

I am sure more people wanted to simultaneously edit multiple materials in Poser, as well as copy and paste them at will. One thing I didn't mention was that we can even edit materials in multiple figures at the same time. Just select them in the figures from the tree view, and when you edit, you are affecting all of them at once. Not sure if anybody would do that, but you can! ^___^

MAT Edit P12 will be soon shipping for $19.95 at the Renderosity store. I can attest this was my biggest and most complex Poser script ever, taking months to complete. Even testers complained it does too many things - but useful things. LOL

Hornet3d

Wise
I have had my eye open for this as soon as I found out it was being worked on, I knew it would be well used as I rarely use default materials in my renders so it went straight into my cart as. As usual there is a comprehensive video of explaining the power of the script on the product page so, although I have had no real time to play with it, I am aware of what it can do and how much I could have used a tool like this in the past. The only real downside I can see it this is going to save me so much time I am going to have to come up with more ideas on what scenes to build.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
Thank you, Hornet! Please remember to leave a positive review at the product page if you find it useful. I am still rather new at Rosity, and that helps breaking the ice. :)

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
I just need to download and install in my poser.

That's a breeze with the new Poser 12 script installer. You can install it straight from the Poser Library embedded store. It downloads and installs it automatically! It also automatically adds it to the Scripts menu, without having to restart Poser. ^_____^

Hornet3d

Wise
That's a breeze with the new Poser 12 script installer. You can install it straight from the Poser Library embedded store. It downloads and installs it automatically! It also automatically adds it to the Scripts menu, without having to restart Poser.

I have installed all your scripts that way and as you say it is a breeze.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
I have installed all your scripts that way and as you say it is a breeze.
That is how all my other scripts by you are installed. :)

Before Poser 12, I used to spend time replying to people asking me why my scripts never showed up after installed. People would unZIP them "somewhere", and forgot where it was. Sometimes the program people used to unZIP would not include full paths, or would use absolute paths, or would convert every path and file to lower case, so there was no lack of ways of messing up script installations. Not to mention scripts wouldn't show in Poser before a restart.

The new P12 automatic script installer not only simplifies things for users, but also takes a burden from my shoulders. It was tough for a brief time in the beginning, when things wouldn't work correctly with the Rendo servers or the embedded Library store, but I am glad everything works now! :D

Sunfire

One Busy Little Bee
QAV-BEE
Contributing Artist
I love it so much I got wolfnom and Okie to use it with their scripts. And I recall sending jroulin to you for his script. LOL

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
Thank you, Sunfire! With the volume of new products being released at Rendo, the script only gets like a couple of hours of front page exposure before getting buried and never seen again. From that point on, it is word of mouth that helps people finding it again.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
Update v1.1.2 is now available at Renderosity. It fixes a bug, optimizes the code, and adds a new feature. To install the update, first remove the previous version, and then just reinstall from the store as usual. If you already own MAT Edit, you have already received the email update notification. :)

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
Good news! I am finishing up some new features for MAT Edit for Poser 12. There will be a new free update v1.16.2 coming up soon for all existing owners. You will notice some new additions to the interface.

1632970912803.png
  • Added pixel scaling support for high DPI monitors.
  • Added keyboard shortcuts.
  • Added dockable toggle button (Enable/disable docking).
  • Sub-panels can be closed with ESC.
  • Added support for Room switching (requires build #682 new Python event).
  • Updated the documentation.
Some customers have asked for a way to stop automatic docking, and the interface now has a new toggle button just for that. When the button is toggled off, the panel will not dock into Poser anymore. If already docked, it will first undock, and then disable panel docking. You can enable it back at any time. Docking is enabled by default, and the script will remember this setting next time we run it.

In another subject, it's quite often useful to have the script open in both Pose and Materials Room, so I have requested the Poser dev team to provide a way for Python to know when the user has switched to another room. They have kindly provided this new capability in build #682 (tonight!), so now MAT Edit will remain open when we switch to other rooms - super useful! This feature will be available in the next Poser 12 public release, so I will have to hold this update until that gets out to the public.

I have added keyboard shortcut accelerators to most commands that require selecting something from the tree view, and you can see them from the bottom button's tooltips, or from the right-click context menu (shown above). Now you can just select items and press CTRL+C and CTRL+V to copy and paste them, which comes naturally to most people. This now makes it 3 different ways to give commands to the script:
  • From the buttons at the bottom
  • From the Context Menu (right-click selection)
  • Or (new) directly from keyboard shortcuts
This update also makes it possible to close any of the sub-panels by pressing the ESC key, instead of the "Close" or "Cancel" buttons. Of course, you can still use the buttons if you prefer, but some users may find the ESC key more convenient. It's good to have options! ^^

And for the first time in my scripts, this one now supports high-DPI monitors with pixel scaling! Took me quite a while to learn how this works in wxPython, but my beta-testers have confirmed that it has worked in their 4K displays with pixel scaling applied. In other words, the interface will no longer display incorrectly when scaling the OS interface up in high-DPI 4K monitors. This took me a while because I don't have a 4K monitor, so it was hard to test, and also because wxPython requires changing the code in basically all interfaces, but it was worth it - my future scripts will all support this by default! ^__^

So once Bondware posts the next Poser 12 public release, I will submit this update for all existing owners. It requires some new features only available in the next version, so we have to hold on until it becomes available. :)

Hornet3d

Wise
Good news! I am finishing up some new features for MAT Edit for Poser 12. There will be a new free update v1.16.2 coming up soon for all existing owners. You will notice some new additions to the interface.

• Added pixel scaling support for high DPI monitors.
  • Added keyboard shortcuts.
  • Added dockable toggle button (Enable/disable docking).
  • Sub-panels can be closed with ESC.
  • Added support for Room switching (requires build #682 new Python event).
  • Updated the documentation.
Some customers have asked for a way to stop automatic docking, and the interface now has a new toggle button just for that. When the button is toggled off, the panel will not dock into Poser anymore. If already docked, it will first undock, and then disable panel docking. You can enable it back at any time. Docking is enabled by default, and the script will remember this setting next time we run it.

In another subject, it's quite often useful to have the script open in both Pose and Materials Room, so I have requested the Poser dev team to provide a way for Python to know when the user has switched to another room. They have kindly provided this new capability in build #682 (tonight!), so now MAT Edit will remain open when we switch to other rooms - super useful! This feature will be available in the next Poser 12 public release, so I will have to hold this update until that gets out to the public.

I have added keyboard shortcut accelerators to most commands that require selecting something from the tree view, and you can see them from the bottom button's tooltips, or from the right-click context menu (shown above). Now you can just select items and press CTRL+C and CTRL+V to copy and paste them, which comes naturally to most people. This now makes it 3 different ways to give commands to the script:
  • From the buttons at the bottom
  • From the Context Menu (right-click selection)
  • Or (new) directly from keyboard shortcuts
This update also makes it possible to close any of the sub-panels by pressing the ESC key, instead of the "Close" or "Cancel" buttons. Of course, you can still use the buttons if you prefer, but some users may find the ESC key more convenient. It's good to have options! ^^

And for the first time in my scripts, this one now supports high-DPI monitors with pixel scaling! Took me quite a while to learn how this works in wxPython, but my beta-testers have confirmed that it has worked in their 4K displays with pixel scaling applied. In other words, the interface will no longer display incorrectly when scaling the OS interface up in high-DPI 4K monitors. This took me a while because I don't have a 4K monitor, so it was hard to test, and also because wxPython requires changing the code in basically all interfaces, but it was worth it - my future scripts will all support this by default! ^__^

So once Bondware posts the next Poser 12 public release, I will submit this update for all existing owners. It requires some new features only available in the next version, so we have to hold on until it becomes available. :)

Thank you for all your work on making what was a first class script into something even more special and super useable.