• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Lully's Hw Products

Dawn

Engaged
Contributing Artist
''Oh DEFINITELY going into the cart before the sale's over. Nicely done Dawn, very nicely done.''

Thanks Miss B, hope you have some fun with it, and spin those dials.

Glitterati3D

Dances with Bees
Love it Glitterati, just saw it over at Facebook. :D Can't believe you rendered a superfly so quickly.

Love this set, such a nice way to extend Dawn's usability!

I've managed to get my render settings and lights to a point that a Superfly render takes no longer than an SSS/IDL render in Firefly, with better results in Superfly. I use SF almost exclusively now for renders.

Dawn

Engaged
Contributing Artist
pp11 took all night when I rendered superfly, I gave up after a while and my main programme now is back to pp14, I did like watching the boxes progress though, lol.

Glitterati3D

Dances with Bees
pp11 took all night when I rendered superfly, I gave up after a while and my main programme now is back to pp14, I did like watching the boxes progress though, lol.

Yeah, you just need to change the settings. The default ones will take forever.

I finally got a nVidia card in my machine this week and was all excited to do some GPU rendering, but I won't use it anymore. GPU takes twice as long as CPU rendering and you end up with the same image.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
I don't have a GPU, and the SuperFly render I did of DuskSE Strolling the Beach only took about 3 hours with 75 samples. Not sure why I got so lucky, because WIPs had taken longer, and his skin still had faint specks. ~shrugs~

Glitterati3D

Dances with Bees
I don't have a GPU, and the SuperFly render I did of DuskSE Strolling the Beach only took about 3 hours with 75 samples. Not sure why I got so lucky, because WIPs had taken longer, and his skin still had faint specks. ~shrugs~

Most of my Superfly renders are done with 10 samples. That one of Polly was.

Miss B

CV-BEE
It may have been the HDRi I used that required more samples. I don't recall any of the SF renders I did of DawnSE without the EZDome/HDRi combo taking anywhere near that long.

phdubrov

Noteworthy
Contributing Artist
Short version of my SF/GPU performance notes:
1. Main! The sweet spot of the Bucket size setting is HEAVY scene-dependent (GPU memory-dependent I suppose). Render FireFly script is your friend for the tests before the final render.
2. Critical! (Drivers-dependent?) Sometimes your render just crawls.
2017-03-15 09_24_15-Cycles Rendering.png

If the first number (after Sample, not after Path tracing sample) does not increase at least at 10 in a second, than probably something is wrong. Try decrease the Bucket size, even to 20px for GPU sometimes works and can give your better speed than CPU. (Or not. Test!) It can also helps with GPU/BPT combination.
Switch from OpenGL to SreeD for the time of the render.
Reload Poser also could help. (Some drivers glitches I suppose.)

Basic optimisations:
smaller HDRI, blurred HDRI, blurred HDRI on the object larger than the Yon of the camera (gives you transparent background) with different render with the crisp/larger HDRI as a background;
render size = Bucket Size * integer;
hide/delete or make diffuse all unnecesarry...

Miss B

CV-BEE
I don't have a GPU, but I think the final render only took me about 3 hours, because I unchecked BTP. If I have that AND PR both checked, it seems to take much longer. I used to use 64 for my Bucket size, but raised it to 256 recently. Maybe I'll try rendering it again with a smaller Bucket size and see how that works.

Miss B

CV-BEE
Yes, I have quite a few of Ali's hairs. So far I've only had to fit to Dawn an older hair he created before he got into working with Dawn.

Oh, I just checked, and I have Hr-170. Kewl. I don't think I've played with it yet, but it really frames Emma's face nicely.