1. We are upgrading to a 2.0 version of our forum as this 1.5 version is no longer supported. Please look at your bookmarks if you have them and note them in a text document as the import process for bookmarks may not work correctly. We will have bookmarks in the 2.0 version so you will be able to recreate whatever may be lost in the upgrade. Everything else appears to have come across fine in our initial tests. Thank you!
    Dismiss Notice

Is there a price to pay for Progress

Discussion in 'The Meadow' started by Hornet3d, Nov 16, 2018.

1. Miss B

Miss B Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time CV-BEE

Back when I was still working (all those years ago), I always preferred Burger King burgers and McDonald's fries.

Since retiring, the only fast food I eat is Pizza every now and then.

2. Ken1171

Ken1171 Distinguished Contributing Artist

And talking about pizza, my favorite in the US used to be the 18" pepperoni from CostCo! The best pizza for the best price (around $10). Don't know if they still do it, but they used to also used to sell the best hot dogs as well, with National Hebrew long sausages. I don't remember ever regretting going out for those.

3. Janet

Janet Extraordinary Contributing Artist

Oh I love Costco pizza. Used to take my sons there when they were teens, we'd do the free samples then get a slice and eat it there. A nice lunch. I still have to find a really good pizza place (and sushi place) since moving a few years ago. For now it's a local place with so so pizza or Little Caesars a town over, about 25 miles.

4. Miss B

I'm fussy about pizza, as I don't necessarily eat plain, regular pizza. I like it with toppings, and my favorite happens to be mushrooms. The local pizzeria here makes mushroom pizza with whole wheat dough, and I really like the combination of flavors.

5. Janet

Janet Extraordinary Contributing Artist

As long as pizza has pepperoni on it I'm good. Add anything else as long as there's pepperoni!

6. Miss B

I used to like pepperoni, but in recent years I haven't liked it. I guess our tastes change as we get older.

7. Satira Capriccio

Satira Capriccio Distinguished CV-BEE Contributing Artist

My favorite pizza was ... chicken, potato rounds, and raw broccoli and carrots. Now, I don't mean pizza with those as toppings. We'd generally go to Izzy's Pizza, which also had a salad bar, and I'd grab the broasted chicken, potato rounds, broccoli, and carrots and a little bowl filled with ranch dip for dipping the potato rounds, broccoli, and carrots.

Yummy!

On those rare occasions when I'd actually eat pizza, it had to be Hawaiian (Canadian Bacon and Pineapple) ... then I'd pick off the Canadian Bacon and let someone else eat them.

It took a few years (like about 20 years) for my coworkers to stop being appalled at a pizza with pineapple. Now I have to fight several of them over the Canadian Bacon and Pineapple slices. I haven't found any pizza place here that makes pizza properly. Thick crust, lots of pizza sauce, and a thin topping of cheese. The cheese shouldn't overwhelm the crust and sauce, but here it seems they consider cheese the main feature. But what do you expect from a city where Philly Cheesesteak is the king of sandwiches. I get sick just looking at them.

When Amy's frozen pizza is on sale, I'll order two or three (depending on freezer space) Cheese Pizza, 4 Cheese Pizza (Fontina, Provolone, Parmesan, and Mozzarella), Cheese, Pesto Pizza w/ Whole Wheat Crust, or a Margherita Pizza w/ Organic Flour and Tomatoes. I'll also sometimes order a container of pineapple chunks so I can toss them on the pizza before putting the pizza in the oven.

8. Ken1171

Ohh, my wife and I love the Hawaiian one too! One of our favorites! ^^

9. mrsparky

mrsparky Member

Carmen's post reminded me of some rural parts of Germany in the 80's.
    East German teens where well versed in Western culture. Movies and Music from bootlegged Videos/cassettes. Fashion, food & drink from TV ads.

Just before the border fell, Levi 501's and coke-a-cola where especially popular and a few contributions of either could make crossing the border rather "fluid".
    The East German guards didn't care that much either, any excuse for a bag search would result in all your clothes going walkies.
    Though if they found anything Russian, like the Zenit camera I had, they'd leave it and just take the film.

In total contrast where the Americans, who had some amazing bases with McDonald's, Wendy's, 7-11's, to Budweiser beer and massive bowling alleys.
    As long as you stayed away from their planes, security wasn't that much an issue either, way easy to get invited in for a look around.

10. Ken1171

Wow, where you there when all this happened? Inside the Berlin wall? I thought nobody could cross it.

11. mrsparky

mrsparky Member

Sadly not when the wall fell - that would've been amazing - but yes it was possible to get across.
    For non business/diplomatic people that would've been done via " Intourist", basically the USSR's one and only travel agent.
    There where also various exchange schemes/work-placements for younger people.
    If you where a member of the labour party (Britain's democrats) or some trade unions sometimes trips got organised.

Or, nearer to when the wall fell, you could chance doing the "self-in" with some locals and that's what we did. Yea probably not the greatest idea - but you're only 20ish once :whistling:

Not just into the USSR but also out as well. My boss allowed to me manage a play-scheme once and we had teenagers from France, East & West Germany, (what was) Yugoslavia, Spain, Sweden and Poland, etc. After about a week, they'd spent the entire 6 week budget and after that they all refused to eat anything but brand name products!

Suffice to say I didn't choose management as a career after that :)
    Though for the kids on one of the roughest estates in the UK, it was a brilliant summer and that's what mattered.