• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Is there a price to pay for Progress

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Back when I was still working (all those years ago), I always preferred Burger King burgers and McDonald's fries.

Since retiring, the only fast food I eat is Pizza every now and then.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
And talking about pizza, my favorite in the US used to be the 18" pepperoni from CostCo! The best pizza for the best price (around $10). Don't know if they still do it, but they used to also used to sell the best hot dogs as well, with National Hebrew long sausages. I don't remember ever regretting going out for those.

Janet

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
And talking about pizza, my favorite in the US used to be the 18" pepperoni from CostCo! The best pizza for the best price (around $10). Don't know if they still do it, but they used to also used to sell the best hot dogs as well, with National Hebrew long sausages. I don't remember ever regretting going out for those.

Oh I love Costco pizza. Used to take my sons there when they were teens, we'd do the free samples then get a slice and eat it there. A nice lunch. I still have to find a really good pizza place (and sushi place) since moving a few years ago. For now it's a local place with so so pizza or Little Caesars a town over, about 25 miles.

Miss B

CV-BEE
I'm fussy about pizza, as I don't necessarily eat plain, regular pizza. I like it with toppings, and my favorite happens to be mushrooms. The local pizzeria here makes mushroom pizza with whole wheat dough, and I really like the combination of flavors.

Janet

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
As long as pizza has pepperoni on it I'm good. Add anything else as long as there's pepperoni!

Miss B

CV-BEE
I used to like pepperoni, but in recent years I haven't liked it. I guess our tastes change as we get older.

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
My favorite pizza was ... chicken, potato rounds, and raw broccoli and carrots. Now, I don't mean pizza with those as toppings. We'd generally go to Izzy's Pizza, which also had a salad bar, and I'd grab the broasted chicken, potato rounds, broccoli, and carrots and a little bowl filled with ranch dip for dipping the potato rounds, broccoli, and carrots.

Yummy!

On those rare occasions when I'd actually eat pizza, it had to be Hawaiian (Canadian Bacon and Pineapple) ... then I'd pick off the Canadian Bacon and let someone else eat them.

It took a few years (like about 20 years) for my coworkers to stop being appalled at a pizza with pineapple. Now I have to fight several of them over the Canadian Bacon and Pineapple slices. I haven't found any pizza place here that makes pizza properly. Thick crust, lots of pizza sauce, and a thin topping of cheese. The cheese shouldn't overwhelm the crust and sauce, but here it seems they consider cheese the main feature. But what do you expect from a city where Philly Cheesesteak is the king of sandwiches. I get sick just looking at them.

When Amy's frozen pizza is on sale, I'll order two or three (depending on freezer space) Cheese Pizza, 4 Cheese Pizza (Fontina, Provolone, Parmesan, and Mozzarella), Cheese, Pesto Pizza w/ Whole Wheat Crust, or a Margherita Pizza w/ Organic Flour and Tomatoes. I'll also sometimes order a container of pineapple chunks so I can toss them on the pizza before putting the pizza in the oven.

Carmen's post reminded me of some rural parts of Germany in the 80's.
East German teens where well versed in Western culture. Movies and Music from bootlegged Videos/cassettes. Fashion, food & drink from TV ads.

Just before the border fell, Levi 501's and coke-a-cola where especially popular and a few contributions of either could make crossing the border rather "fluid".
The East German guards didn't care that much either, any excuse for a bag search would result in all your clothes going walkies.
Though if they found anything Russian, like the Zenit camera I had, they'd leave it and just take the film.

In total contrast where the Americans, who had some amazing bases with McDonald's, Wendy's, 7-11's, to Budweiser beer and massive bowling alleys.
As long as you stayed away from their planes, security wasn't that much an issue either, way easy to get invited in for a look around.

Sadly not when the wall fell - that would've been amazing - but yes it was possible to get across.
For non business/diplomatic people that would've been done via " Intourist", basically the USSR's one and only travel agent.
There where also various exchange schemes/work-placements for younger people.
If you where a member of the labour party (Britain's democrats) or some trade unions sometimes trips got organised.

Or, nearer to when the wall fell, you could chance doing the "self-in" with some locals and that's what we did. Yea probably not the greatest idea - but you're only 20ish once :whistling:

Not just into the USSR but also out as well. My boss allowed to me manage a play-scheme once and we had teenagers from France, East & West Germany, (what was) Yugoslavia, Spain, Sweden and Poland, etc. After about a week, they'd spent the entire 6 week budget and after that they all refused to eat anything but brand name products!

Suffice to say I didn't choose management as a career after that :)
Though for the kids on one of the roughest estates in the UK, it was a brilliant summer and that's what mattered.

Hornet3d

Wise
Well my tech stuff has been a headache for a week or more, first an out door CCTV camera stopped working and it is unfortunately a Hive unit. For those not aware of the Hive system it is a brand of home computer system that controls the heat, lights and appliances. We had the heat part fitted about three years ago when we had our central heating boiler changed so that the heating could be programmed to keep the house warm at given times. Slowly we added lights, plugs and motion sensors. So if we get up in the middle of the night and walk around the house the lights will come on but more importantly will go off again a set time afterwards (often used to forget to switch stuff off it I got up for a glass of water in the early hours). The lamps are also LED and dimable thus saving a little electricity.

On the whole it has worked well but at the start of the year I add a camera. Long story short, it stopped working about two weeks again and despite the working for hours with the Hive tech support it still does not work and the tech support team has closed the ticket. I don't mind not having a camera so much but the fact I now have a £179 paper weight annoys me no end. As I could have picked up a reasonable quality CCTV camera from Amazon (which I have now done) for a fifth of the price I am not happy.

Now reserve computer, the one I was using before I had a new one built about a year ago has stopped working. I have already proven it is the PSU that has failed but I have still to check if it has taken the Motherboard with it. It is a few years old but the PSU was a bronze rated unit that I paid top price for so I am still not that happy. I suspect I paid a little more for a well known brand when a lesser known brand would have done me just as well. Anyway the end result is it is either uneconomic to repair or I have a partial rebuild to do and I hate building computers these days.

Could be worse I guess, the main computer is still running and letting me escape to the Poser world for a few hours each day.

carmen indorato

Extraordinary
Well my tech stuff has been a headache for a week or more, first an out door CCTV camera stopped working and it is unfortunately a Hive unit. For those not aware of the Hive system it is a brand of home computer system that controls the heat, lights and appliances. We had the heat part fitted about three years ago when we had our central heating boiler changed so that the heating could be programmed to keep the house warm at given times. Slowly we added lights, plugs and motion sensors. So if we get up in the middle of the night and walk around the house the lights will come on but more importantly will go off again a set time afterwards (often used to forget to switch stuff off it I got up for a glass of water in the early hours). The lamps are also LED and dimable thus saving a little electricity.

On the whole it has worked well but at the start of the year I add a camera. Long story short, it stopped working about two weeks again and despite the working for hours with the Hive tech support it still does not work and the tech support team has closed the ticket. I don't mind not having a camera so much but the fact I now have a £179 paper weight annoys me no end. As I could have picked up a reasonable quality CCTV camera from Amazon (which I have now done) for a fifth of the price I am not happy.

Now reserve computer, the one I was using before I had a new one built about a year ago has stopped working. I have already proven it is the PSU that has failed but I have still to check if it has taken the Motherboard with it. It is a few years old but the PSU was a bronze rated unit that I paid top price for so I am still not that happy. I suspect I paid a little more for a well known brand when a lesser known brand would have done me just as well. Anyway the end result is it is either uneconomic to repair or I have a partial rebuild to do and I hate building computers these days.

Could be worse I guess, the main computer is still running and letting me escape to the Poser world for a few hours each day.
bummer. but how can they close a ticket w/o resolving the problem? no way i would have allowed that without some serious legal sheitz to stop it.

carmen indorato

Extraordinary
tried the new burger kink vegetable no meat burger. don't care what they say it outright sucks!
i want a burger to be made of real meat with right texture and flavor. i went about it with as open a mind as i cold muster. but fist thing that got me was the higher price. could have accepted that if the rest of the fake was close to being "right".
it wasn't...it was all wrong. so, no matter what no more non meat hamburgers for me.

Hornet3d

Wise
bummer. but how can they close a ticket w/o resolving the problem? no way i would have allowed that without some serious legal sheitz to stop it.

Oh I certainly haven't given up on chasing Hive to come up with a solution or a refund and I have not ruled out taking them to the small claims court. The trouble is I have lost confidence in the product even if they do manage to fix it this time around. In the mean time I have ordered another camera, this time less than £40 rather than the £179 I paid for the dead one. I also made sure I went for one that can be used with third party apps and is not tied to a particular cloud storage. The trend with a lot of the cameras now is to sell you a camera and, rather than it record to an SD card it records to the cloud, snag is you get one month free and then you are locked into either a yearly or monthly subscription. My present cameras record to an SD card and also back up to my NAS unit, from there I can back it up to the cloud if I want but to a storage facility of my choice.

Terre

Renowned
Tech support that has run out of scripts should direct you to higher level techs who actually know the tech.

Hornet3d

Wise
Tech support that has run out of scripts should direct you to higher level techs who actually know the tech.

Yep they did, they passed it to the third level tech support who called me every other day saying they had fixed and I should try again and I had the same result each time. After four tries they didn't call rather sent me an email sating they were closing the case as per company policy. That left me feeling that it was closed because level one tech had run out of scripts and level two and three had run out of ideas. Fine for them but I still have a £179 camera that doesn't even make a good paper weight.