• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Is there a price to pay for Progress

Hornet3d

Wise
Ouch, so you were unfortunate enough to get update 2004 installed. That might be what's causing the issues. Luckily for me, Windows decided to skip that version for now. It has been showing the update for several weeks, but won't install it. Instead, I keep getting 1903 updates. Got some last night, so I assume Microsoft might not have 2004 fixed just yet. I read somewhere that they had it rushed out, and it ended badly, being recalled the next day. My PC wasn't scheduled for updates when this happened, so I was lucky.

Microsoft has been migrating to a different kind of network that seems to be incompatible with Win7. You might have noticed they have removed "HomeGroup", so things now work differently in Win10. I am not sure how incompatible this is with Win7, since I haven't used it for years now, but judging by what you said, it might be incompatible. I am not even sure if Win7 is still supported, so they might not care for compatibility at this point.

From my experience network compatibility between Windows 10 and 7 has always been shaky but the NAS in question is plugged into an ethernet box along with the dual drive NAS, Windows 10 will access the latter but not the former. I was going to plug the smaller NAS directly into my main computer to see if there was any difference, not that there should, be but I changed my mind mainly because I suspected, if I did get it working the next Windows update would probably only throw it off again.

As to the problem with loading the update the most common reported problem appears to be that is gets to around 40% on the install then jumps to 100% and fails with error code 0x800f08, this apparently relates to missing files in the WinSXS folder. Those that have managed to install it have reported sound problems, with some sound systems not working at all, and some reporting the Blue Screen of Death and other bugs.

I am so pleased Microsoft are doing so much to protect out computers from malicious attacks.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
I get error code 0x800f08 in nearly all Windows 10 updates. It rarely succeeds on the first try, and mostly because it tries to do it in the background while we are still using the computer, so updates face locked files and fail.

DanaTA

Distinguished
I don't understand. I rarely get errors with an update. I also don't have it going on while I'm working. It offers me to choose when the update will run, and I usually put it off for a while, then when I'm going to shut down or leave the computer for a while, I'll let it run. Either Update and Sleep or Update and Shut Down. I am on Windows 10 Pro, perhaps that is the difference. I think there's less control over the process with Windows Home.

Dana

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Very true Dana. I also have Win10 Pro, and I have updates "paused". Then when the pause period is over, I check for updates, let them run, and then "pause" updates again. I also shut down all apps to let the updates take place. It's always good to NOT do Windows updates "in the background", so to speak.

Hornet3d

Wise
Very true Dana. I also have Win10 Pro, and I have updates "paused". Then when the pause period is over, I check for updates, let them run, and then "pause" updates again. I also shut down all apps to let the updates take place. It's always good to NOT do Windows updates "in the background", so to speak.

Another one with Win 10 Pro and I never let updates run in the background but choose to do updates and restart. The reason for that is I normally do it at the end of the day and I like to know if Windows will restart. If I chose update and shut down it comes a shock when next day it will not load Windows. Knowing I have a problem with it loading in the evening gives me the choice of trying to fix it then or going to bed knowing I have a problem to deal with in the morning.

DanaTA

Distinguished
I don't have a problem letting it shut down after an update. It does some more stuff when I start it up again..."Preparing Windows...", but it doesn't just crash.

Dana

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Another one with Win 10 Pro and I never let updates run in the background but choose to do updates and restart. The reason for that is I normally do it at the end of the day and I like to know if Windows will restart. If I chose update and shut down it comes a shock when next day it will not load Windows. Knowing I have a problem with it loading in the evening gives me the choice of trying to fix it then or going to bed knowing I have a problem to deal with in the morning.
Oh I agree. I don't do it before logging off for the night, but I always have it restart after the update for the same reason you do.

BTW, I was reading one of my many daily tech newsletters earlier, and one of them mentioned folks having issues with updates, though he wrote more about folks who "updated" to Win10 from an earlier version of Windows. I never do that, I get a new OS when I get a new computer, so I was wondering if that's your case as well. Did you initially update to Win10 from Win7? Though I think you said you have a Win7 computer that's permanently offline.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
I have updated to Win10 from Win7, and my PC is pretty stable. I was an early adopter, so it has been years now, and it is still rock solid stable. I don't think that is necessarily an issue, though I understand it could be for some people, depending on how they cling to older drivers.

BTW, I am running Win10 Pro as well, and sometimes it interrupts me when working with messages that Windows has updated and needs to restart. I don't know if the update has happened while I was working, or if it has happened before and now it requires a restart. But sometimes I notice unusually heavy disk activity for long periods, which brings performance down. That can be a sign of an update going on. We can check on Task Manager to see if the activity is caused by a "Windows Update" task. Sometimes it is, but sometimes it's just the usual "Microsoft Telemetry" gathering data from your computer to send home. I often disable all of Microsoft's "telemetry" features, but not surprisingly, they enable it back on the next update. Sometimes it's easier to locate the telemetry executable, take ownership, and just rename/delete it. This way Microsoft will take much longer to spy on me again - usually after a big update, like they do 2-3 times every year.

Sometimes the computer becomes behaving erratically, and that is usually an indication that it has been updated and needs to restart. For example, it refuses to open the Windows menu, or some windows refuse to open or close. Whenever this happens, I go check if Windows is requiring a restart because of an update. That's in the shutdown option at the Windows menu. When it shows a yellow icon there, I know it requires a restart. After reboot, everything returns to normal. It doesn't happen often, but it's definitely annoying.

DanaTA

Distinguished
I wouldn't believe everything you read on the Internet, especially written by a Russian hacker! MS got no money from me when I upgraded to Windows 10 Pro, for free! And even our laptop, which is running Windows 10 Home, does not have all kinds of crap downloading to it all the time There are some apps that came with Win10...they didn't cost us anything, and some we've never even opened, so they don't run and take up memory. I've never experienced a bunch of applications suddenly taking more CPU time when I started up a YouTube video. Of course, streaming media itself takes up CPU and download time...that's what streaming is.

Dana

Hornet3d

Wise
Oh I agree. I don't do it before logging off for the night, but I always have it restart after the update for the same reason you do.

BTW, I was reading one of my many daily tech newsletters earlier, and one of them mentioned folks having issues with updates, though he wrote more about folks who "updated" to Win10 from an earlier version of Windows. I never do that, I get a new OS when I get a new computer, so I was wondering if that's your case as well. Did you initially update to Win10 from Win7? Though I think you said you have a Win7 computer that's permanently offline.

I do the same as you and update the OS when buying or building a new computer so Windows 10 came with the new machine I treated myself to about two years ago now. I have to admit I tried everything not put Windows 10 on the new machine and tried Linux for quite a while but I could not get Poser 11 to install and Poser 2014 was not really stable. I have since read on other forums that Poser 11 will run in Linux so perhaps I was doing something wrong or the situation has moved on. While Windows 10 was not so bad to use as I expected I still preferred Linux and, if it was not for Poser I would not be using Windows 10. I am not alone in that, my wife loves Linux so when Windows 7 support stopped she stayed with Linux rather than move to W10.

3WC

Engaged
Contributing Artist
I upgraded from Windows 7 to 10, I also recently changed out the motherboard and switched C drive to an SSD, and have had zero problems with Windows 10 home. I think I even have the 2004 update.

Yes, there are problems with Windows updates, but they generally affect a very small percentage of users--usually those who have "customized" their computer setup so that there is no way for Microsoft to know what they've got. But more testing would be nice before they just throw the updates out there.

Hornet3d

Wise
I upgraded from Windows 7 to 10, I also recently changed out the motherboard and switched C drive to an SSD, and have had zero problems with Windows 10 home. I think I even have the 2004 update.

Yes, there are problems with Windows updates, but they generally affect a very small percentage of users--usually those who have "customized" their computer setup so that there is no way for Microsoft to know what they've got. But more testing would be nice before they just throw the updates out there.

I think you are right in that a large percentage of users have no problems with the updates and the ones that have customised their computer setup are almost certainly more prone but I think some are just down to more basic factors. I believe some have problems because of the hardware they have and the software they run which I think is more day to day than what most would regard as customisation. My other view is that once Microsoft decided that they would force the updates on people they were then morally obliged to increase the level of testing when, if some reports are to be believed, they did the opposite.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
Sometimes it's not even the hardware, but instead the makers don't update the drivers for new Windows versions, and THAT can cause trouble. There were several occasions when manufacturers took the opportunity to force people to buy new versions of their devices when Windows had updated, and the old drivers no longer worked,. This has happened with Epson, 3DConnexion and Microsoft, where they refused to update the drivers, and their devices simply won't work any more, even when being standard USB. Windows won't recognize them anymore.

3DConnexion did that to force me to drop a perfectly working $350 Space Pilot Pro 3D mouse and buy a new one. Microsoft did that with ALL of their top of the line ($100+) game controllers after they started the XBOX development- basically their entire lineup, so to push people to only use their XBOX controller. Epson did that between Windows XP and Windows 7, where some of their USB printers would not be recognized for lack of drivers, forcing me to buy a new one.

It's a very effective, though unfair, way to make people "decide" to buy new hardware, even whey they don't need to. Those who control the drivers, control the universe.

Hornet3d

Wise
Sometimes it's not even the hardware, but instead the makers don't update the drivers for new Windows versions, and THAT can cause trouble. There were several occasions when manufacturers took the opportunity to force people to buy new versions of their devices when Windows had updated, and the old drivers no longer worked,. This has happened with Epson, 3DConnexion and Microsoft, where they refused to update the drivers, and their devices simply won't work any more, even when being standard USB. Windows won't recognize them anymore.

3DConnexion did that to force me to drop a perfectly working $350 Space Pilot Pro 3D mouse and buy a new one. Microsoft did that with ALL of their top of the line ($100+) game controllers after they started the XBOX development- basically their entire lineup, so to push people to only use their XBOX controller. Epson did that between Windows XP and Windows 7, where some of their USB printers would not be recognized for lack of drivers, forcing me to buy a new one.

It's a very effective, though unfair, way to make people "decide" to buy new hardware, even whey they don't need to. Those who control the drivers, control the universe.

HP did that to me when I moved to Windows 7, I had a very expensive scanner that was less than a year old and still working fine but they did not produce any drivers for Windows 7. I moved the scanner to an older computer and purchased a Samsung scanner for the new machine. Many years and three computers on I have not purchased anything with a HP logo on it and, when I was asked to give advice on any computer related equipment HP never figured in any of my recommendations.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
There was also the infamous "the people against Epson" lawsuit in the US, where Epson was programming their printers to disable themselves if customers used compatible cartridges from other makers. The printer would simply refuse to print after that point, so a new one would have to be purchased. Of course, Epson won the case with congress lobbying and very expensive lawyers. However, people started to boycott them, write ZERO star reviews to their products, and ultimately let them know they weren't happy about it.

It took Epson about 8 years to feel the effects on their pockets, and started selling ink tank printers that don't need cartridges at all. By the price they sell ink cartridges, you could buy a new printer after every 3 changes, so ink tanks are the way to go. Not that Epson didn't know that before, but money was coming from selling ink cartridges, and not the printers themselves. As far as I know, for most other printer manufacturers, that is still the reality.

Hornet3d

Wise
There was also the infamous "the people against Epson" lawsuit in the US, where Epson was programming their printers to disable themselves if customers used compatible cartridges from other makers. The printer would simply refuse to print after that point, so a new one would have to be purchased. Of course, Epson won the case with congress lobbying and very expensive lawyers. However, people started to boycott them, write ZERO star reviews to their products, and ultimately let them know they weren't happy about it.

It took Epson about 8 years to feel the effects on their pockets, and started selling ink tank printers that don't need cartridges at all. By the price they sell ink cartridges, you could buy a new printer after every 3 changes, so ink tanks are the way to go. Not that Epson didn't know that before, but money was coming from selling ink cartridges, and not the printers themselves. As far as I know, for most other printer manufacturers, that is still the reality.

I didn't realise there was a lawsuit but I do remember the issue with the printers disabling themselves but they were already on my blacklist before then after I had one the their printers and needed to contact tech support. Sadly they were not technical and far from supportive, in fact they were down right rude. This time I moved to Canon printers and never gave houseroom to anything Epson. I know it sounds as though I have such a massive blacklist that I must have difficulty spending money but strangely there are only two computer companies I do not deal with and they are the two discussed here, HP and Epson. The list is however quite long and includes the dry cleaners than managed to completely loose a suit days before a wedding, and electronic supplier who refused to give me a refund and only offered a repair on a Hi-Fi system that I was returning the same day I purchased it as it did not work and numerous other retail outlets and brands who I feel do not deserve my custom. I suspect I am not alone though as at least ten of the companies are no longer in business and I doubt the loss of my custom alone was enough to bring them to ruin.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
I didn't realise there was a lawsuit but I do remember the issue with the printers disabling themselves but they were already on my blacklist before then after I had one the their printers and needed to contact tech support.

That's the only power we have to defend ourselves against corporate abuse - boycott. I haven't bought a single item from Epson ever since - until more recently, when they changed their mind and started selling ink tank printers. I bought myself one from Epson last week, and NOW I am satisfied with the product. They won the lawsuit, but the consumer won the commercial battle by hitting back where it hurts - on their pockets and public reputation. It took them almost a decade to step back from abusive practices, but in the end, the consumer won.

Don't get me wrong - I believe Epson piezoelectric printers are the best around, much superior to thermal ones in many aspects. So much that I have just purchased one last week. What I blame Epson for were for abusive commercial practices. Thanks to the power of consumer boycott, they have retracted themselves, and now I have the printer I always wanted from them. At least from my side, I can't complain anymore, and I will support Epson for as long as the play fair.

Hornet3d

Wise
That's the only power we have to defend ourselves against corporate abuse - boycott. I haven't bought a single item from Epson ever since - until more recently, when they changed their mind and started selling ink tank printers. I bought myself one from Epson last week, and NOW I am satisfied with the product. They won the lawsuit, but the consumer won the commercial battle by hitting back where it hurts - on their pockets and public reputation. It took them almost a decade to step back from abusive practices, but in the end, the consumer won.

Don't get me wrong - I believe Epson piezoelectric printers are the best around, much superior to thermal ones in many aspects. So much that I have just purchased one last week. What I blame Epson for were for abusive commercial practices. Thanks to the power of consumer boycott, they have retracted themselves, and now I have the printer I always wanted from them. At least from my side, I can't complain anymore, and I will support Epson for as long as the play fair.

I can relate to that, as with so many aspects of life you try to condemn the practices that you disapprove of and praise or reward those that you do.

I remember when I was a manager in a camera shop we had a customer come in and have a demonstration of a camera, he was back a few days later to purchase a lens for the same camera which we were lucky to have in stock but was difficult to find elsewhere at that point in time. He wanted a discount on the lens or something to sweeten the deal but I was having none of it making sure he was aware that I was not pleased that he used my shop for the demonstration but clearly purchased the camera elsewhere. Two days later there was another customer in the shop buying the same lens, he did get a discount and even a free filter thrown in, the rest of the staff were somewhat confused so I explained I was doing as I had always done, rewarding the behavior I approved of and not the behavior I disapproved of. Mind you it also touched a nerve with me in that it was quite common for people to come in the shop and have a demonstration of a camera or lens and then then purchased the item cheaper on line. Nothing wrong with that as long as you are aware of the long term implications, there is nowhere it my town you can get a demonstration on a camera now as all the specialist camera shops have closed down.