• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Inktober 2017

Dakorillon (IMArts)

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
Wanted to have a place to encourage myself and others to post for Inktober 2017. I figure that I'm going to do some traditional, some digital, some 3D for the month, but try to get most days. (I know I won't get all of them, like yesteray!) Anyone is welcome to participate!

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
WOW Dak, that's nice. I wish I could participate, but unfortunately, I can't draw to save my life, so I'll leave it to the talented pen and ink artists among us.

Dakorillon (IMArts)

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
WOW Dak, that's nice. I wish I could participate, but unfortunately, I can't draw to save my life, so I'll leave it to the talented pen and ink artists among us.

Well, Miss B, like I said, I may not do "ink" each day, but I'm going to try to do some sort of art each day. We'll see how that goes! So, you are welcome to post daily art of some sort! Afterall, it's about habits and consistency, which I'm already going to break, I know! lol

JOdel

Dances with Bees
HW Honey Bear
Yes these are really nice.
Speaking for myself, I detest working in analog. You have to move furniture to get a workspace set up. You have to wait for paint or ink to dry. It uses up materials. And, then, once you are finished you have to do cleanup, and break down your whole setup.

That said, despite the fuss and mess, I rather enjoyed the pencil and ink segments of the basic drawing class that I took as a prerequisite for something else 2-3 years back. I don't think you could pay me to try working in charcoal again, however.

Dakorillon (IMArts)

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist

Missed yesterday, but jumping back in.

@JOdel I agree when you have to set up and take down, it is much harder. That is why ink or pencil are easier to make portable. When I had a house with my art room set up (Or at least a spot in the livingroom). I had everything out, and it was easy to sit down and just work a bit. Now, I mostly did, graphite and/or colored pencil. They are MUCH easier to work with, especially with small children around. No drying time (unless using water soluble), no big worry about toxicity or fine particles in the air. They were perfect for that time.

When I started really getting into digital painting, I did it because I wanted to have the look of Acrylic or Watercolor without the expense and mess of said. I found Dogwaffle. it was free at the time (there is still a free version that is just a few versions behind the current.) It is now called PD Howler (Project Dogwaffle Howler), and it is still amazing for re-creating the look of traditional media, as well as the new things it does including animation. I do all my landscapes in it. I'm going to try to do some ink in it later this month. Some people get some fantastic looks with it.

And yes, charcoal and pastel are a mess!

JOdel

Dances with Bees
HW Honey Bear
Ah. I've heard of Project Dogwaffle. Or at least the name. So it's a freebie variant of Corel's Painter? That one kind of set the standard for simulating analog art mediums.

I'm improving the shining hour doing class assignments (build The Hulk in ZBrush. Now give him a wig.) And fulfilling gift fest prompts. Got one set down, but still have another couple of illos to do for the other.

Dakorillon (IMArts)

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
Yes, I was looking at Corel's Painter and knowing I couldn't afford that, I went looking for alternatives. Found Dogwaffle. And then stayed with it from version 1.x all the way through it's current version which is 11. In fact I'm a Beta tester for it and do basic tutorials for it on YouTube. It has expanded what it does now, which includes 3D terrain rendering, animation, and photo editing, as well as the original digital natural media painting.