• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

How The Hivewire Horse (harry) Came To Be.

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Bambi!

We'll need Thumper too :wink:

Yes, yes we will! LOL

Laurie, I am loving what you're doing with the little fawn here. Personally, I would love some realistic textures in addition to whatever toon styled textures come out for the little guy (or gal?). I think it's just adorable either way, and I would probably make extensive use of both styles of textures for it. I just love the Bambi-esque feel to the picture you did post.

Just gotta say - HiveWire and the supportive, collaborative attitude here...

ROCKS

Absolutely! I love watching a community project come together. :D It's always very cool when you end up having multiple artists working together to bring something about... so many times those extra sets of eyes, hands, and viewpoints add lots of wonderful things into the final product.

NapalmArsenal

Distinguished
Contributing Artist
I've been eying Harry for a while. He's so nicely done, but I kept asking myself--do you really need a horse? I finally decided the answer was yes, and picked up Harry plus the pinto and roan textures (alas, I could not afford all of them nor the breeds). Roans are my particular favorites, and I figure the pintos will go nicely with all those Native American morphs I made. ;) I think it's knowing that he's going to be the base of other perissodactyls and artiodactyls (especially artiodactyls--I could really use some gazelles ;) ) that pushed me over the edge.
My neighbors across the road from the front of my house raise Scimitar Oryx and BlackBucks. It's the oddest thing to wake up to gazelles barking in the morning. They have this weird whistle noise they make sort of like between a bark and a chirp.

The fawn textures are looking fabulous Laurie!!!

Although, with this style it kind of reminds me of the TY Beanie Boos (Alpine) and (Magic) my niece is so fond of with those huge sparkly eyes. That I must admit are rather cute especially the Owls.

Lets see, bambi, thumper, flower, and Faline.

Last edited:

Zaarin

Brilliant
My neighbors across the road from the front of my house raise Scimitar Oryx and BlackBucks. It's the oddest thing to wake up to gazelles barking in the morning. They have this weird whistle noise they make sort of like between a bark and a chirp.
In my fantasy book I replaced both horses and sheep/goats with varieties of antelope, so I expect to get quite a bit of mileage out of a gazelle or antelope morph for Harry. :D

Faewolf

Inspired
ahhh! the upcoming morphs are all so awesome! I cant wait! and amazing textures by Laurie as always <3 Like - I dont want to use any others than hers now because the quality is just unmatched lol ^_^

CWRW

Extraordinary
HW3D Exclusive Artist
Thanks all! Long way to go on Thistle but meanwhile... I am working on Whisper today- getting close to done with maps and Poser MATs. Still want the beard wispier so need to redo that trans maps again and still need to do the wispier trans for the fetlocks. I did do all new trans maps for the mane for the little guy:) A couple of sections still need tweaking but I am liking it overall- am drawing it wavy and wispier in the trans/a new style compared to my older Harry mane trans maps. I need to thin the mane a little to be more like the forelock. Also 4 new eye maps and MATs since I have the right UV now for the eye:) There will be at least one more coat option too- still working on that.

So since I only have a static obj for Whisper I am also using the Unicorn to test the maps and MATs there- mainly the hair as I can pose that on the Uni and not on Whisper yet.

Laurie

WhisperHead121.jpg

WhisperFull1.jpg

And all Whisper maps/MATs shown on the Unicorn.

WhisperMATsUnicorn1.jpg

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
<3 Love it Laurie!

And quite funny looking at the eye, I used your original textures to create one very much that colour for one of my ponies :D

CWRW

Extraordinary
HW3D Exclusive Artist
Thanks! Last one for today- Don't know why I always forget about subdividing:) Here is the mane with subdivide set to 3- even nicer!

WhisperManeSubdivide.jpg

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Whatever this Subdivision thing is did make the mane a lot smoother :)
I use subdivision in my modeling app, but the newer versions of Poser, I believe starting with Poser10/PP2014, have the option to do subdivision within Poser.

What it does is smooth out the mesh. Here's a a couple of screenshots (not renders) I just did in Blender that shows what a cylinder looks like when first added to the scene, and how it looks subdivided at level 3. This is just to give you an idea what the SubD option does in Poser.

SubdivisionExample.jpg

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Yep...it would work in a similar fashion in DS. Just go into Mesh resolution in the parameters tab. I will say that Poser allows more levels of sub D whereas in DS I think it's more reliant on what was modelled in. That's just my observation though.

Given that we have smoothing in DS you wouldn't really need it at higher levels. Poser smoothing works differently and so does the sub division.